TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Need advice to connect subwoofer

I could you some advice on connecting my subwoofer if you have time.

I bought a new receiver so I could play my new panasonic blu ray. The new receiver (Onkyo SR606) has a single output jack for the subwoofer. The subwoofer has two line input jacks.

When the installers initially set up my system, they put a flat peaker cable under the carpet from the receiver to the subwoofer which I would dearly love to use. The speaker cable has two wires. When the installation was initially done, the installer hooked the two speaker wires from the center channel outputs on the receiver to two of the four speaker wire inputs on the subwoofer.

So my questions are--does replicating the prior installation makes sense? I would have expected the center channel not to be the best place to draw a base signal. From what I have read, it is frequently the case that speaker wires from both the left and right front channel are inputted to the speaker wire inputs--but thats four wires, and my already imbedded speaker cable only has two. Should I attempt to splice all four L and R speaker wires out to the speaker cable and then splice them into four wires for speaker wire input? Should I try to splice the speaker cable to add audio jacks to use one jack in the subwoofer out and two for the line input at the woofer?

Sorry for the long message, but I am confused and could sure use the help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need advice to connect subwoofer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need advice to connect subwoofer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This does not make sense.

In reply to: Need advice to connect subwoofer

"the installer hooked the two speaker wires from the center channel outputs on the receiver to two of the four speaker wire inputs on the subwoofer"

I think they just put one over on you, sorry. However, I had an old subwoofer which get its signal from both the right and the left amplifier output and then the right and left speakers connections to the subwoofer (but I don't think they do that anymore because they use independent subwoofer output on the A/V receiver nowaday.

The SR606 is new, right? I think maybe a little more research on the subwoofer is in order. Any company and model numbers?

Collapse -
Set up subwoofer

In reply to: This does not make sense.

the receiver is new. The subwoofer is several years old from Klipsch. I'll see if I can find out more on line about the subwoofer.

Collapse -
installers are R-tards

In reply to: Need advice to connect subwoofer

They shouldn't have hooked up your subwoofer to the center speaker output.

Basically what you need to do is run a single RCA cable from the subwoofer pre-out/output on your receiver all the way to your subwoofer. Then you can either plug the single RCA cable into JUST the left line input of the sub, or buy a RCA Y-splitter and plug the 2 cables from the Y-splitter into both inputs on your subwoofer. Both methods work, but you will get about a +3dB boost of signal if you go with the Y-splitter.

Collapse -
subwoofer hook up

In reply to: installers are R-tards

Thanks. One more question--do I need to get a special RCA cable for a subwoofer, or could I just use the red (or just the black)component of a typical combined red/black RCA cable and then put a Y splitter on that before it goes into the subwoofer?

Collapse -
don't make it too difficult

In reply to: subwoofer hook up

1)you have a subwoofer out
This is limited to some frequency cutoff (150-250 Hz, depending, mine is @ 200) IF you have a crossover separate from your sub, route the signal through it.
2)centerchannel is Ok, not optimal,why not use it for center channel speaker(s)?
3) you have the hard part done, a single channel running to your sub.
Get a nice splitter (usually 1 female to two males) and plug in at the subwoofer end of your run.
Because I have a crossover, mine is split before it plugs into that, then a pair of channels (two conductors each) runs to the sub.

Collapse -
sub

In reply to: don't make it too difficult

thanks for the advice. I'll try it this weekend

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!