Storage forum

Need advice regarding Mac OS backup

by lennylampert / July 26, 2014 3:38 AM PDT

Does anyone know how I might create a bootable copy of my OS (Mac OS 10.9.4) and store it with an online backup service, so that I can use it later to restore my laptop, if necessary? I realize that I can do this locally using a HDD (I'm using Time Machine for this) but, personally, I'm weary of having my only bootable copies stored on HHDs. I also realize that I can use a second HDD (SSD is too expensive), but would prefer to store a clone offsite and, short of giving a drive to a friend, my options are limited.

Online backup would be best for me. DollyDrive is the only company I know of that provides this service, but it's too prohibitive. Are there any other options for afforable offsite stoarge, perferably with one of the common online backup services (since I already use one for my most important data files), Thanks very much for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need advice regarding Mac OS backup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need advice regarding Mac OS backup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Not today, not yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2014 4:29 AM PDT

Since the current models do not boot up to the point of connecting to the internet without some work, that is, if we take a blank HDD and put it into all current models of Apple computers the answer to this one is no.

It will happen someday but even DollyDrive failed your requirements.

Collapse -
Other possibilties...
by lennylampert / July 26, 2014 5:35 AM PDT

Thanks very much for your reply, Bob. Rather than booting directly via the internet, would it be possible to, say, clone Mac OS, store the clone using an online backup service, and then, when required, download and store the cloned file on an external hard drive, and restore a laptop from this hard drive?

Collapse -
But that failed your initial spec.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2014 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Other possibilties...

If you change your spec, my answer changes too. The problem with storing on the internet is costs. Past a few GB and you may incur monthly fees so no savings there. Then we have issues with ISP and government meddling so it's just a bad plan.

Don't agree? Read what this fine fellow has to say about it.

But again, if you want to allow use of a bootable OS that can get to the internet, well that changes what I read in your first post. So far, no machine made by Apple boots up, gets on the web to restore from anywhere. Even the one you noted.

Collapse -
Free up hard drive space instead of buying external HDD
by datatracklabsltd / October 7, 2014 9:55 PM PDT

Apple Mac computers come with small, but fast, flash storage drives. These cost a lot of money so storage is at a premium on Apple Mac computers. Most people have a 128GB or 256GB Flash drive, and this is naturally filled up with music, movies and apps. Apple Mac computers are happy with around 10 per cent of storage space free. We like to keep at least 30GB of storage space totally free on our hard drive. Any less than this luxurious amount of free space and Mac OS X may start to slow down, and it'll struggle if you download large files.

These tips give you the go-ahead to free up more hard drive space on your Apple Mac.

The first thing you should do is empty the Trash. Control Click the Trash icon in the Dock and choose Empty Trash. Now click the Empty Trash button in the pop-up window. This will remove any files you have in here.

If you've dragged a locked file to the trash it'll refuse to empty. In this instance, you can remove the file from the trash and back to its rightful place. One alternative is to use Secure Empty Trash.

The iPhoto app has its own separate Trash, which can take up a lot of space. Open iPhoto and click on Trash in the Sidebar. Now click on Empty Trash in the top-right of the screen and click on OK.

iTunes is another program that manages a lot of files independent of the Mac OS X Finder.

Now you should start to recover file space by deleting any large files that you're not using. A good place to start is in the Movies folder. Drag any unwanted moves into the Trash.

Apps can take up a lot of space in iTunes, so it's often a good idea to delete them. Open the Applications folder and change to List view. Now click on sort by Size to view the apps that are taking up the most space.

Delete unused video versions

If you sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac, iTunes is likely still hanging on to older device backups and OS updates that can fill up huge chunks of your drive.

If all process are failure then go for purchase external hard disk.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?