Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Need Advice - PS3 or Stand Alone Blu Ray...

by annbow77 / November 7, 2008 11:24 AM PST

Okay, I need some help - I'm totally useless when it comes to this kind of stuff. I want to get my husband a Blu Ray player for Christmas. I'm just torn between getting him the PS3 or a stand alone.

We have a Samsung DLP which we are very happy with but it seems that the blu ray players they make aren't getting very good reviews.

He used to play video games, but doesn't much any more although he does still enjoy it from time to time (we have a 8 month old which occupies most of our time). So I'm not sure the extra $100 would be worth it.

I'd like to, obviously, get the most for my money and would like to keep it about $400 or whatever I can get a PS3 for.

I would appreciate any advice/thoughts on your favs..

Thanks and take care!
Anne

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Advice - PS3 or Stand Alone Blu Ray...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Advice - PS3 or Stand Alone Blu Ray...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The PS3 seems to get the nod here (read link)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2008 11:37 AM PST
Collapse -
PS3 vs Stand Alone
by hturner1949 / November 7, 2008 8:09 PM PST

I'm not a gamer, but that being said I use my son's PS3 to watch Blu Ray movies. The picture and sound is awesome, however I hate the joystick and PS3 is compatible with my Harmony remote. So when the son moves out I will buy stand a alone player. I would recommend the Samsung BDP-1500. It loads fast and it can be found for under $250.00 which is a lot cheaper than the PS3.

Collapse -
The Samsung 1500 is a poor choice, IMO
by jostenmeat / November 8, 2008 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: PS3 vs Stand Alone

Sammy has a bad track record in BDP support, first of all. It also failed two HQV test out of 5 in the shootout I linked here. It in fact was pointed out as decidedly having the worst PQ when compared with Panasonic, Sony s350 + ps3, and a couple of pioneer players.

The PS3 value is impossible to ignore if you use half of its capabilities. However, its true, there are several limitations in its usage, unbelievably. One of them being the blutooth sensor. But there is a workaround:

IR to BT Converters (yes there are 4 of them): Comparisons/User Reviews
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1016741

Otherwise, I've been very confused why anyone who buys a standalone would not buy a Panasonic. Its very confusing to me. They make the best standalone BDPs anywhere in the price range.

Even the PS3 could not pass all HQV tests. The older Pana models did. They also own most of the patents associated with BD. They have an excellent track record, FW updates, or otherwise.

Collapse -
Thanks
by annbow77 / November 8, 2008 7:02 AM PST

Thanks for the information Happy

Collapse -
Samsung Blu-Ray
by hturner1949 / November 9, 2008 12:12 PM PST

I only recommended the Samsung because they already have a Samsung HDTV and some people like the simplicity of one brand=one remote. I'm not a big Samsung fan either, but as I write this the price of the Sammy 1500 dropped to $229 which is $170.00 cheaper than a PS3. I've done my research and I've decided on the Panasonic DMP-BD55K. It costs the same as a PS3, but it also has 7.1 analog output which I need for my receiver which does not have HDMI. And who knows, maybe the price will have dropped by the time my son moves out.

Collapse -
I agree with jostenmeat
by bearvp / November 10, 2008 12:19 AM PST

Basically the only options for an informed buyer would be a PS3, Panny DMP-BD35, or a Panny DMP-BD55.

If you need internal decoding of DTS-MA and TrueHD sound, then your choices are whittled down to the PS3 or the Panny BD55. They are the same price (I believe) so you juts have to decide whether you want all the extra features of the PS3 (gaming console, media server, better load times than anything else) or the BD55 (7-channel analog outputs).

I went with the PS3. Eventually I will get a standalone player but I'll wait for a couple years when prices are even better and I have had a chance to upgrade other things first.

Collapse -
Thanks So Much...
by annbow77 / November 10, 2008 10:34 PM PST

Thanks to all!

After talking to some friends and reading the info on here and other sites, I'm going to go with the PS3 - hope he enjoys it!

Thanks again,
Anne

Collapse -
Good choice
by bearvp / November 11, 2008 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks So Much...

Have fun with your PS3. For all the video/sound settings help, goto avsforum.com-->Blu-ray Players section. One of the sticky threads is the PS3 FAQ and the first or second post tells you where all the important settings are for it.

Collapse -
Samsung 2500-2500?
by Shysterbiker / November 10, 2008 1:22 AM PST

I purchased a Samsung 67" DLP, new sound system and the 1500 Blu Ray player about 3 weeks ago from Circuit City (and my store is going to close).

I did not learn of the Netflix enabled models until after the purchase.
I am very happy with the system (the 67" is gorgeous) however I am a Netflix member and feel I should probably pop for another $100-$150 for a net enabled player.

Does anyone have any experience w/these? I didn't even attempt to set up the system--this stuff has gotten way too complicated. I assume I could just swap it out however there must be a coxial feed into the player or how can it connect? I hate to pay for another install as well.

The Netflix $99.00 box is another option however I believe the DVD player will have more choices available as the 'net expands online video feed (Youtube just announced it will stream live movies).

TIA

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!