TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Need advice, Panasonic TC-P65S2 or TC-P54VT25

by ericunder / November 14, 2010 12:41 PM PST

OK, so here is the deal. The wife and I are getting a new TV for the living room. I think we have narrowed it down to a Panasonic plazma TV. You should know that we will be sitting about 15 feet from the TV. I can either get a TC-P65S2 which has a nice big 65 inch screen but gets so so ratings in picture quality (not bad but not great), or I can get a TC-P54VT25 which gets great (?best we?ve seen?) ratings for picture quality. Internet connectivity or widgets are not important for us and we will mainly be using this screen to watch movies (DVD with component video hook-ups for now but probably switching to Blue-Ray in the near future) and some standard TV.

I am concerned that the 54 inch TV will be too small from 15 feet but picture quality is equally important to me. I would love to just get the 65 inch version of the VT25 line but it is out of my price range. Any advice would be helpful. Will I really notice the difference in picture quality with the larger (but inferior quality picture) TC-P65S2?

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need advice, Panasonic TC-P65S2 or TC-P54VT25
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need advice, Panasonic TC-P65S2 or TC-P54VT25
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
advice
by xJACKTHERIPPERx / November 14, 2010 2:58 PM PST

my thoughts would be to go for the 54 inch. personally id like the better quality picture rather than a bigger screen that looks worse. but when you go to get it, make sure to ask about the return policy, and if its like 15 or 30 days, just take it home and try it and if you feel that its too small you can always take it back and get the bigger TV.

Collapse -
Remember the day of the 25" CRT. TV?
by ahtoi / November 14, 2010 3:11 PM PST

Did it seem too small? This is my take on it but I think 54" at 15 feet is plenty big.

Collapse -
true
by xJACKTHERIPPERx / November 14, 2010 3:24 PM PST

ya, im looking at getting a new tv myself right now and seeing them in the store looks totally different. a 50" plasma up on the wall in a store with 30 foot ceilings looks tiny

Collapse -
By itself it might look small, and in my case...
by ahtoi / November 14, 2010 5:40 PM PST
In reply to: true

I think it's either 50 or 52 plasma (don't remember which), like I say, it looks plenty big. It maybe because there are furniture, book case, cd case, etc...so it seems not tiny at all really).

Collapse -
Returns
by ericunder / November 14, 2010 9:38 PM PST

Thanks for the information. I will probably buy through Best Buy so I will be able to return it. I'm just thinking, most sites will say to devide the distance from the tv (15 feet) by 2-3 to get your size range. That leaves me with about a 60 inch to 90 inch range so I'm already at the low end of that range with a 65 inch screen.

Collapse -
I think you are not only comparing size but...
by ahtoi / November 15, 2010 12:23 AM PST
In reply to: Returns

picture quality as well. To me, the higher the quality, even with a smaller TV, it may still look better.

Collapse -
Made my choice
by ericunder / November 15, 2010 10:36 AM PST

Ok, so I walked into a Magnolia home theater today and they had the Panasonic TC-P58VT25 on sale and they were throwing in a blue ray player and 3 sets of 3-D glasses. This is the 58 version of the VT line. I think this will be a good compromise for me. Not quite as big as I had hoped but bigger than the 55 inch I was looking at before and really top of the line picture quality. Too bad the 65 inch was $4k! yikes!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!