Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Need advice on wireless adapters

by jbndhs / January 25, 2006 9:34 AM PST

I live in a mobile home in a mobile home park. My mobile home has metal siding. The park is installing a wireless system that covers the whole park. The people living here will be able to get online wireless, all we will need is an adapter plus the proper codes. So before I buy something for my three computers I need some advice as to what is best. I have dsl now with a router and two of my computers are hooked up with a cable and the third with a usb adapter. So I am open to all ideas as to how best to meet my needs and get the most bang for my buck.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need advice on wireless adapters
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need advice on wireless adapters
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What do you mean by ...
by Melati Hitam / January 25, 2006 3:59 PM PST

'I have dsl now with a router' ???

For the wireless thing... you need a wireless card.. for all the computer you have... it available as PCI card and USB.

Google it.. Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, 3com, D-Link etc...

But just remember that you will be connected to all computer in the park.

I would get myself a Wireless Access point router, and make that as repeater, and configured using different IP address, and mac filtering.

You may need some information for this from the Wireless provider in that park.

Collapse -
What I am asking
by jbndhs / January 26, 2006 12:17 AM PST

I now have a small network in my mobile home. I have a links wireless router with four places to hook a computer up with a cable. With the router I also use a laptop wireless to get online. Now the mobile home park is putting in a system that will service the whole park wirelessly. This means I can cancel my dsl service and use theirs. So what advice does anyone have as to what is the best equipment that I need to get. I don't care so much as to brand but the kind of equipment.

Collapse -
contact management
by linkit / January 26, 2006 12:28 AM PST

It is impossible to tell you what you need because we don't know what the mobile home park is installing. You need to contact the park's authorities/management to discover what wireless standard will be installed and possibly what hardware is compatible or recommended.

Collapse -
I agree
by bknowledge / January 27, 2006 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: contact management

Find out what the park is putting in before you buy anything. You may be able to use your current router as an access point for the wired PCs. But remember everyone will be using the same source so the connection may be a little slower that your current one.

Collapse -
Here is what I know now
by jbndhs / January 30, 2006 3:15 AM PST

I have been told the the brand is ''Clearwave''. It is operating at 802.11b, 2.4 GHz. This is what the park has installed.
I have a links wireless router 802.11b 2.4 GHz with 4 ports. I have two computer hooked up with cables, and another one with a usb adapter. The computer running the software for the router uses xp. The other wired computer uses 2k, and the one that is wireless uses xp.
If you need more info let me know what it is.

Collapse -
WI-FI
by linkit / January 30, 2006 5:37 AM PST

A quick Google search reveals that there is a ClearWave Communications in Illinois. They offer wireless broadband.

Someone stating that it is 802.11b service might mean that it is a general area WI-FI that only requires a wireless-b or wireless-b/g network adapter on each computer. No router required for each individual residence. Your management company should be able to give you information or a contact number regarding hardware requrements for the service.

Collapse -
Thanks
by jbndhs / January 30, 2006 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: WI-FI

I have one more question. Since it will be public (park wide) should I have any security concerns?

Collapse -
Re:
by bknowledge / January 30, 2006 11:18 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Like you said it's public so everyone can use it and I'm sorry to say but there is always someone to foul stuff up. The same problem that people have in internet cafes apply. So I would not use it for entering bank, credit card or doing your taxes online. But you can use dialup for these things, it will be slow but more secure and you can get 10hrs free a month from netscape I think. But use the wireless for surfing and downloading and between the two you'll be secure with hispeed. Your ahead of the game in my mind.

Collapse -
Some caveats
by SonOfNet / January 31, 2006 8:51 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Hi,
To ensure security on the shared Wi fi n/w please verify the following:
1) Manner in which IP addresses are provided to users (i.e dynamic through a DHCP or static) Static is not a great idea on a shared n/w as it allows a novice who understands IP addressing to snoop into your machines.
2) Please check if your administrators will be using Mac authentication (extremely secure as it will limit the users who can access this n/w to a known universe and will not allow outsiders to access the n/w)Again being a open park this is unlikely. You will probably have the park mgmt sellling access accounts that use a radius. After all they would like to maximise their revenue Happy
3) Access to https sites should not be an issue if you regulary clear your history and cache and do not accept cookies. Make it a point to ensure that access to your drives is not allowed (i.e. disable sharing on your disks). If you dont do this the risk on your DSL n/w is nearly the same unless your SP is providing you with shared firewall and virus protection.
4) As a policy make it a point to keep your machine off or at least disable the wireless adapters when you do not want to access the net.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?