Laptops forum

General discussion

Need advice on used laptop

So, I am embarking on the purchase of a used laptop. Have been using my roommates desktop for awhile but now she is selling it. I have been told that for my needs there are most likely a number of good used laptops out there for sale. I am a very basic user of computers in general and mostly feel the need for a laptop bcs of portability. That being said, my main uses for the computer are email, digital pic saving/sending, web search, music downloads, cd burning, movie watching(seldomly), basic web design, banking/bill paying, and Word/Excel type docs(nothing fancy). I have the opportunity to buy a
Toshiba Tecra 8100. Any advice???? Here is the actual ad:
Toshiba Tecra 8100 Laptop and Docking Station - $300
This Laptop is wireless with a Pentium 4 with a 800MHz processor, 256 ram, 12gig hard drive, DVD, Toshiba Laptop docking station and laptop bag? Windows XP and Office are installed.
Thanks for taking the time to read and respong to my ad. I feel a bit overwhelmed by this decision and could use a hand. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need advice on used laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need advice on used laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
JUNK!!! => Pentium 4

In reply to: Need advice on used laptop

Pentium 4 laptops were disasters. DON'T BUY!!!

If you had 300, keep shopping such as this recent ad -> http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w146/rproffitt2000/?action=view&current=299laptop.jpg

The P4 Laptop is wireless with a Pentium 4 with a 800MHz processor, 256 ram, 12gig hard drive, DVD.
The new laptop is wireless with a core duo with a 1.6GHz processor, 1024 ram, 80gig hard drive and a DVD dual layer recorder.

The P4 laptop appears to have that old DVDROM drive that didn't record. These were popular in some businesses to keep employees from recording CDs.

Bob

Collapse -
PS. And for the office documents ...

In reply to: JUNK!!! => Pentium 4

Collapse -
Buying a Second Hand Notebook/Laptop Guide

Which Laptop should I buy?

Buy a system that will do everything you need now. You might like to allow for future needs (for example, the next version of your favourite software may require additional memory to run as fast).

Buying a quality brand such as Dell, HP/Compaq, Toshiba or Sony will minimise the chance of any hardware problems and if you do have a hardware problem, parts should not be a problem.

New or Second Hand?

You can save a fair bit of money buying second hand. Often, you can pick up a machine with additional accessories (extra memory, wireless, carry bag, docking station, extended warranty etc) which you have to pay extra for if you buy new. Choose a seller with a good feedback rating and look for a machine that is still under warranty from the manufacturer. Then if there are any problems, you can have the machine repaired locally without paying for return postage. Compaq/HP and Dell warranties are still valid even if the machine is sold to a new buyer.

A friend in Melbourne bought a second hand Dell machine and there was a problem with the battery recharging. Fortunately, the warranty was still current and she logged a call with Dell. Within 24 hours there was someone onsite. The engineer could not tell immediately which item was at fault so the main board, the battery and the AC power supply were all replaced!

Were to buy a second laptops

PORTABLE COMPUTERS LIMITED
Registered No. 04387327
ELCOM HOUSE, 203 BEDFORD AVENUE, SLOUGH, BERKSHIRE, SL1 4RY
Tell:+447024095406
alexander.gustav@yahoo.com

Available laptops and desktops, clean pull from working environment, complete , with COA Sticker, good condition, as is with warranty, ready to load immediatley

Dell Latitude D600 Laptop Intel Pentium Centrino 1.8GHz 512MB Memeory, 40GB Hard Drive, DVD-Rom Drive and Microsoft Windows XP $175 per units 450 units availabel

Dell Inspiron 4150 - Intel Pentium 4 1.6 gHz - 256MB memory - 40GB hard drive CDRW/DVD windows XP $165 per units 470 units available

Dell Inspiron 4100 Intel Pentium 3 1.2GHz -256M -30GB DVD Rom windows XP PRO Internal Wireless Card.$140 per units 650 units avilable

TOSHIBA SATELITE Intel Centrino Mobile Technology
featuring: Intel Pentium M Processor 725 1.60GHz,
512MB, 60GB HD, DVD/CD-RW, 802.11bg wireless, 14.1XGA display, Microsoft Windows XP Tablet.(Tablet PC)$420 New

Sony VAIO S Series Notebook PC - S460/ 13.3
Widescreen Display With XBRITE LCD Technology Smart Display Sensor/ Integrated Wireless LAN/ Intel Pentium M Processor/ 533MHz Front Side Bus/ DVDR DoubleLayer/DVD RW4 Drive$400 NEW

Sony VAIO FJ170 B
Notebook Laptop Computer FJ170 B - 14.1 WXGA LCD,1.7GHz Pentium M CPU, 100GB-5.4k HD, 512MB RAM, MediaAccelerator 900 Graphics, Double-Layer DVD Burner,Integrated Wireless LAN and Windows XP Home $410 NEW

IBM THINKPAD A30 2652-AU2 P3 1Ghz, 256mb Ram,20GB HD, DVD DRIVE, 240mb Super Disk,56K MODEM, 10/100 ETHERNET, 14 LCD 235 units left $120 per units

Dell C400 Laptop 1.2GHz Pentium III System memory: 256MB Hard drive: 40GB Display: 12.1-inch
TFT Operating system: Windows XP Pro Processor 125 units left $115 per units 200 units available

Hp Compaq Nx9110 Notebook Pentium M 3.6ghz Processor 512 MB 40 GB 15 Display (Projector) Diagonal Size 10 units left $450 NEW

Compaq Presario R4000 2 GHz Athlon 64 Laptop $360 New

DELL C610 P3 LAPTOP Intel Pentium III 1.0GHz CPU 256MB PC133 SDRAM SODIMM (2 slots, 1GB Max) 20GB Hard Drive $100 per units

Desktops

Dell optiplex GX260 Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz 512 MB 30GB CD-RW/DVD Combo Windows XP Keyboard, Mouse, Network Card $65 per units

Dell optiplex GX270 Intel Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz 512 RAM, 40 GB, CD-RW/DVD Combo Windows XP Pro Keyboard, Mouse, Network Card $95 per units

Minimum Order quantity is 5 Units

Shipping arrangement and charges is our responsibility including any taxes and duties that apply.

Get back to us ASAP Via our e-mail address so that we can proceed on business

Alexander Gustav
PORTABLE COMPUTERS LIMITED

Collapse -
I've bought three from here. . .

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=-840&langId=-1&categoryId=2576396

Solid machines, absolutely zero problems.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.