General discussion

Need advice on upgrading

I'm not super computer savvy but I have a amd motherboard with a nforce 2 chipset, a xp 2200+ cpu, 768mb ram, and a geforce titanium 4200 (I think) video card.

I need to upgrade my computer, it runs really slow and I play some up to date games, this isn't cutting it.

First off, should I upgrade everything? I was thinking of going with a new motherboard with a nforce 4 chipset, 64 3000+ processor, adding a gig of ram and upgrading to a 6600 gt video card. This won't be cheap, but I was wondering, is there a way to maybe take the price down a notch without sacrificing too much performance? Any suggestions? Or if you know of a place where I can get these compontents cheap (I know about price watch) or something?

any advice/help/suggestions is appreciated Happy

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Need advice on upgrading
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need advice on upgrading
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
that looks like a pretty good system....

check out Newegg for prices tho and I would consider getting a Athlon 64 3200+ instead of the 3000+. It is only alittle bit more and probly worth it. Also make sure you get a skt.939 mobo and CPU. U also don't need the best mobo either. Don't get an ASUS one just cause of the name. They are basically all the same. Make sure it has an AGP slot, atleast 4 PCI slots and 4 dual channel DIMM slots

- Collapse -
Just a thought. . .

What do you have running in the background? These can be resource hogs.

- Collapse -
Building this new machine will undoubtedly...

give a speed boost. But nothing will help the fastest computer when spyware has invaded.

- Collapse -
well..

I have antivirus and firewall, I also run ad-aware on occasion.

I don't run much in the background really, just a couple messenger programs, my antivirus and that's it.

- Collapse -
If that's all you have. . .

I'll bet you're infected. I've seen and fixed machines so hosed up they would take over five minutes to boot, then five minutes for Explorer to load. Forget about surfing. Spyware can invade a system in fifteen seconds (a quote from PCWorld).

Please visit this page at my site and do a little light reading, then download the programs listed. All free. Use CWShredder first.

http://24.0.232.224/Spyware_Suite.htm

Good luck,

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about internet
connections and data, and download free software.

Suppose you were an idiot. . . And suppose you were a member of Congress. . . But I repeat myself.
--Mark Twain

- Collapse -
Just a thought. . .
- Collapse -
Hey jcrobso...

"Disadvantages:

* You?re currently not able to take full advantage of the technology because the software vendors haven?t made the switch from 32-bit to 64-bit processors."

Given I have such 64-bit machines running on XP's 32-bit system and I can use VIRTUAL DUB and it kicks into a 64-BIT mode PLUS XP's SP2 uses some 64-bit extenstions, that statement needs a rewrite.

Also, I have Suse 9.3 in it's full 64-bit glory. Again, I wonder what your definition of full advantage is. Your passage is much like what was written when we were transitioning from the 80286 to the 386. In fact it is!

Bob

- Collapse -
True!!!!!!

Thanks for the Info Bob.
I have an XP64 Pro beta on 1 PC now ( waiting for my copy of RC1 from MS) regular XP SP2 on the other, got Suse 9.3 but haven't had the time to insall it yet, glad to hear that it runs great.
One of the reasons I have reg XP SP2 on one of the AMD 64 is it gives me a way to compare same OS on different processors, This will end as soon as I gat a chance to install the Suse or the XPRC1. John

CNET Forums

Forum Info