TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Need advice on Plasma TV selection

by Scottbrown5555 / January 1, 2007 12:10 AM PST

I'm between the

LG50PC1DR
Panasonic 50PX600U
PioneerPDP-6071HD

I notice from reading what I can find that the panasonic is the best picture in the business. I personally liked the Pioneer but the LG seems to be a nice set with a much lower price. Is the LG worth it or do I go for one of the big boys? Also, for those who have seen the Panasonic set, how is the green reproduction? I've read the pioneer has issues in that regard. Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need advice on Plasma TV selection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need advice on Plasma TV selection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Plasma choices
by ZZ4 / January 1, 2007 1:10 AM PST

I have owned a Panasonic 50" for 1 1/2 years. It is the commercial unit meaning it does not have a tuner or speakers. Simply put it is a 50" monitor. Mine is connected to DirecTV with a HD receiver. I chose this unit because of its overall rating. It is spectacular! I didn't need a tuner because I live too far away from broadcast tv towers and I didn't need tv speakers because I have a surround system. Even with cable you will need their HD box to receive HD. Wanting HD means you will probably be using cable or satellite as a signal source. Bottom line, this is the unit to buy. Two of my friends have DLP units. They agree the picture on mine is better, much better. The only problems I have had are watching television not in HD and getting off the couch to do something other than watch tv. I plan on building a new house in the near future and will be buying one or two more TVs. They will be panasonic commercial units. One other suggestion is to get a digital HD recorder to record shows in HD. This whole HD thing is really unbelieveable. Once you make the move you will see and I do mean see.
Good luck.

Collapse -
Pioneer
by gadgetlvr / January 1, 2007 11:16 AM PST

I'm a huge fan of Pioneer plasmas. The top rated 50" plasma that CNET currently rates is the 5070- 5071 @ Best Buy.

I saw the "green issue" in the CNET review and it's a non-starter. CNET is looking to nit pick something. They still gave the Pioneer it's top rating.

I find the Panasonic tv's picture to be a bit too soft. Pioneer colors jump off the screen. I'm sitting here watching the Fiesta Bowl in HD with my Pioneer right now.

Collapse -
Panasonic
by HTHMAN / January 1, 2007 11:51 AM PST

Either the Pioneer or the Panasonic would be the best picture. They are just about the same when properly adjusted.

I have the Panny 50PX6U which is the same as the 600U without the card slot and PIP. If you do not need all the features, you can get the same picture at several hundreds of dollars less.

I had PIP on my last two TVs and seldom used it, don't need a cable card slot because I use Dish. Other than that and the trim, it is the same set. The Fiesta Bowl looks like a very good 35mm picture. So did the Rose Bowl.

BTW... Go Buckeyes !!!!!!!

Collapse -
LG is a Good Choice Too!
by dysonl / January 3, 2007 1:19 PM PST

As with all things, the best choice depends on your priorities. If you want the absolute best regardless of price, then go with the Pioneers or the Panasonics. If you want a great HDTV that is a better value, you might want to consider an LG.

I recently bought an LG 42PC1D. Before the purchase, like most people, I was thinking Panasonic and Pioneer. But then I saw an outstanding deal with the LG. So I went do some research on the product and actually visited several stores to compare picture quality. As far as I can tell, LG 42PC1D is as good as the more popular 42" from Panasonic in terms of picture quality. There are probably subtle differences in picture quality if you really really want to find them (like pro reviewers do) but it's just nitpicking in most cases. At the end, I picked the LG because of price and features (btw, 2 years warranty instead of only one). I recently went to a friend's house and he has a Panasonic TH-42PX60. All I can say is that I didn't envy him and am very happy with my choice (in fact, I personally think that my LG was better).

Check out the user review on the LG 42PC1DA here on CNet and this review:
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=6882

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?