TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Need advice on Onkyo 9100THX

by digifan29 / November 29, 2009 3:30 AM PST

I recently upgraded from a Logictech Z2300 (meant for PC use) to an Onkyo 9100THX. I set up everything using the Audigy microphone method. When playing through any non-hdmi source, bass is underwhelming. I am outputing music through optical and is doesnt base lacks the impact it had using a headphone jack to my old pc speakers. I also tried using the red and white rca cables and got the same results. I can't seem to find crossover settings on this receiver. I can find settings that allow me to adjust +- db for ~5 different frequencies for each speaker, but I thought crossover is where you set the frequency that each speaker kicks in at? It seems to be pushing all but the lowest of the bass to the front and satellites, which does not sound good.

I hear the Onkyo receiver is a decent one, so I would be surprised if it didn't have crossover control. Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need advice on Onkyo 9100THX
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need advice on Onkyo 9100THX
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That Onkyo is actually one of the best HTIB's around.
by minimalist / November 29, 2009 7:42 AM PST

There is likely nothing lacking in your sub. The Audyssey automated speaker setup should have set the crossover and the levels for you but you can tweak them in on-screen receiver settings.

The most likely culprit is the placement of your sub. Try moving it laterally along the front wall and experiment with distance it sits in front of that wall. Just small changes in location can make drastic changes in sound. Individual room acoustics can cancel out some of the bass frequencies if it happens to be in the wrong location (they can also artificially reinforce the frequencies giving you boomy, muddled bass). After you find a new location it would be wise to run the Audyssey setup again to make sure the levels are appropriate.

Collapse -
by digifan29 / November 29, 2009 9:24 PM PST

Thanks for the reply. Putty my head to the sub, it acually does not put out anything above very very low frequencies. I don't thing placement will change that. The sound is put out to the fronts and statelites, which can't properly handle them. I did the audigy setup and it did not help. There was no crossover settings there.

Collapse -
Make sure the sub is loud enough for Audyssey to hear during
by minimalist / November 30, 2009 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: Onkyo

setup. There may be external volume controls as well as internal ones through the receiver.

Page 45 of your manual says this:

If you?re using a powered subwoofer and it outputs very low-frequency sound at a low volume level, it may not be detected by the automatic speaker setup. If the sub- woofer (SW) appears on the ?SP Detect Result? screen as ?No?, increase the subwoofer?s volume to the half- way point, set it to its highest crossover frequency, and then try running the automatic speaker setup again. Note that if the volume isset too high and the sound distorts, detection issues may occur, so use an appropriate volume level.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?