Laptops forum

Question

Need advice on my Sager 9150 Laptop that I am about to buy

Hello, my name is Daniel and I am buying a new laptop for college. I want my new laptop to be able to handle some games because I absolutely love battlefield 3 on the xbox 360 and I want to return to the days when I used to play BF2 on my desktop as a kid. I may want to play a few more games on it but BF3 is my main concern.

After scouring Xoitic PC I have decided to go with the Sager 9150/Clevo150EM that has a base price of $1319. My overall budget cap is $2000 so I have chosen some upgrades to go with it. My goal is to simply build the best machine I can while staying in my budget range. To see the lists of available upgrades you can click on the link here. My main questions are with the graphics card and processor. Obviously the NVIDIA 680m or the i7-3920XM processor would both be nice but I don't know what I would sacrifice to get either of them in there as I really like my other upgrades. I am interested to hear what everyone suggests. My current selections are posted below. (don't worry about fitting Windows or office software into the budget because I already have copies).

Component - My Upgrades - Added Price

Screen - Glossy Screen with 95% color gamut (1920x1080) - $95

CPU - 3rd Gen Ivy Bridge Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHZ - $160

Cooling feature - IC Diamond Thermal Compound for cooling - $35

GPU - nVidia GeForce 675M 2gb - $100

RAM - 16gb DDR3 1600MHZ Dual Channel Ram - $80

Hard Drive - 750gb 7200RM hybrid hard drive with 8gb SSD storage - $115

Internal Networking Card - Bigfoot Networks Killer Wireless-N 1103 - $60

Extra Software - Antivirus Software with 2yr subscription - $35

This setup brings my total price to exactly $1999 which is great. The antivirus isn't really part of the $2000 limit for me, so if you want to take it out you can. If you leave it in then I guess my real budget is $2035. I just don't want that of all things to end up being a limiting factor when you guys try to help with upgrading and downgrading different components, while staying in budget.

I really appreciate all advice and recommendations that you guys will give me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need advice on my Sager 9150 Laptop that I am about to buy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need advice on my Sager 9150 Laptop that I am about to buy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I've had 2 Sagers

In reply to: Need advice on my Sager 9150 Laptop that I am about to buy

one with a Pentium 4 processor that I purchased 10 years ago and it still works. I did have and issue with the graphics card which was an ATI and the mobo had to be replaced. It was under warranty and that whole process went smoothly. Then next Sager is a Pentium M processor 6 years old and is still working and has never been serviced as it never broke. I used this laptop to test MS Vista and MS Windows 7.

I am happy with Sager and the machines I puchased from them.

Collapse -
Exactly

In reply to: I've had 2 Sagers

I am also very impressed by Sager and I have yet to hear anything bad about the quality of their laptops, I am really hoping that this laptop lasts me 4+ years to get me all the way through college.

Collapse -
Sager was founded in 1985 and is a laptop exclusive company.

In reply to: Exactly

They are manufactured by Clevo in Taiwan and China. Clevo manufactures the laptops and brands them with the Sager name. Clevo also sells their laptops unbranded to laptop dealers like powernotebooks and Xocticpc. They also sell to companies across the world with regional brands such as Sager and Prostar in the USA, Eurrocomm in Canada and Rock in England. They specialize in power gaming laptops and alot of times they are the first to use new technologies in their laptops (one such was SLI graphics in laptops). Sager has a factory in California that takes the base laptop they receive fro Clevo and add the components configured at the time of the purchase and then test all systems for a 96 hour period.

Sager has a niche market they do advertise in the computer magazines but don't use TV or radio advertising they don't use nationwide retailers such as Best Buy. They distribute their system from their main factory and smaller computer stores and web sites. The distribution method Sager chooses allows for their sytems to be configurable whereas the PC sold at Best Buy aren't configurable. By configurable I mean Best Buy cannot modify the components pre-sale for the customer.

Asus and MSI both use they same distribution channels as Sager but Asus and MSI also utilize the mass market approach used by Dell, Toshiba and HP and distribute non-configurable laptops to major electronic retail chains

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.