Laptops forum

General discussion

Need Advice on HP Laptop

by dell_dude3449 / March 21, 2007 1:32 PM PDT

I have been looking at various thin and light laptops over the last few months, and I have found that I like the HP dv2000t, but I have heard bad things about HP from several sources. I like it because of the size, that its built in card reader reads xD picture card, which my camera uses, and that it comes with a dedicated graphics card, so I can run Vista's AeroGlass, and edit video a little. Has anyone here had any experience with an HP laptop? If so, a. How long did it last/ how long have you had it/ how well is it holding up, b. what is your overall impression of the product/company? c. Which model did/do you have? and d. Would you buy an HP laptop again?
Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Advice on HP Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Advice on HP Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
its a great system
by x1342 / March 21, 2007 2:07 PM PDT

hey, i bought the hp dv2000t right after christmas '06, as it's a really nice system. I purchased what would be referred to as one of the budget systems (1.86ghz core solo, 1gb ram, 80gb hdd, integrated video) but the system has yet to let me down. I don't do too much work that would require a dual core processor, but this thing runs productivity software very well. battery life is pretty good, i get about 3 1/2 hours of power just doing simple tasks, turn the wireless on and take it down about 1/2 an hour. Now, as far as build quality is concerned, it was the barn-burner for me. I travel a lot, and so i wanted a smaller computer that i could tote with me everywhere, especially under the storage of an airplane seat, and not have to worry about it being damaged. besides the semi-rugged systems like the toughbooks or the new dells, the new HPs are some of the most durable and tough systems i could find. When shopping around, i litterally ran around best buy and circuit city squeezing, twisting, bending, and flexing laptops. There is no flex on this system, it's very sturdy; there arent even any ripples in the lcd if you push on the back of the lid. Comparatively, i thought i was going to poke my finger straight through the gateway i played around with. Build quality has not been an issue. Now, as far as software is concerned, HP has been the most generous to those who have upgraded to vista. They not only sent them the upgrade discs, but also a disc complete with the utilities needed to take systems all the way from xp to vista. however, there was one caveat, which was the dv2000t and dv2100t series of computers did not have a compatible sound driver. Hp, however, being the smarties they are, assigned a representative to monitor the forums over at notebookreview.com whom has kept in contact with dv2000t users and has been updating us with solutions until they finalize a fix. Luckily for you, though, the new dv2000t's are obviously not being shipped defective. HP updated the sound device, so there's no unique risk of getting an HP with vista. All-in-all, i really love my system, the quality of both HP's products and service have made me fall in love with them.
-adam

Collapse -
HP has produced a phenomenal piece of JUNK
by sightandsound / July 10, 2007 11:06 AM PDT
In reply to: its a great system

I don't know how anyone could fall in love with HP's defective, no service express, but maybe you just like using a computer that doesn't function. The HP dv2000 was so poorly QA'd that HP had no place releasing it to the public. HP is not supposed to provide friendly hints on upcoming drivers after a product is released, they are supposed to provide WORKING drivers BEFORE it is released.

What a sham. HP should be ashamed of themselves.

Collapse -
What driver?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2007 10:13 PM PDT

I just helped with a HP 2000 and didn't find any issue with the drivers. However finding what settings needed adjustment to get on the WIFI was the only issue. I can see where people could call that junk.

Bob

Collapse -
You may want to look at the
by orlbuckeye / July 11, 2007 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: What driver?

just released DV2500 which is the new Santa Rosa version of the DV2000. About the HP quality well since they have released this new line of consumer laptops they had jumped Dell as the leading selling laptop company and that lead is growing with each new quarter. They must be doing something right. Any manufacturer has lemons and probably when a company sells more laptops they will have a few that fail. My girlfriend has had her DV2000 since Christmas and hasn't had any problems with it at all and she loves it.

Collapse -
Exactly my experience.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2007 6:22 AM PDT

I'd like the member above to name names and maybe an url about their issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Thank you HP PR, now leave this chat for real users
by sightandsound / July 16, 2007 6:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Exactly my experience.

Yes, alternately the user above could just let us know what PR firm they work for. I don't think real consumers talk like that very often....

HP still makes junk. Growing market share or not.

Collapse -
Actually you sound like a PR machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2007 7:45 AM PDT

Name names, give links to the driver issue you have written about please.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?