Cameras forum

General discussion

Need advice on Canon SD900 vs SD 800

by loren976 / January 1, 2007 9:53 AM PST

I need to make a choice between the SD 900 and SD800. I am surprised to see that the SD 800 is little more expensive than the 900, even if with lower MPixel. So that makes me think that there is something wrong with the SD 900. Anybody can help me to make this decision? Is the IS of the SD 800 a greater feature to prefer to the 10MP of the SD 900?
I would appreciate any input.
Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need advice on Canon SD900 vs SD 800
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need advice on Canon SD900 vs SD 800
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
THe 900 is better
by BowerR64 / January 1, 2007 10:07 AM PST

I didnt know the SD cameras were using the 1/1.8 CCD till i started researching them to find out wich all used the same CCD. They started using the 1/1.8 in the SD500 then they stopped and went back to the smaller one. The 900 uses the big one again.

The bigger sensor is better and will take better images i would get that one.

Collapse -
thanks
by loren976 / January 1, 2007 10:19 AM PST
In reply to: THe 900 is better

thank you for the reply.
I actually used to have a SD 500. I was very happy with the quality of the pictures, execpt low light conditions.
Are the SD800 and SD 900 using the same CCD?

Collapse -
no
by BowerR64 / January 1, 2007 11:48 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

No i believe the 800 uses the 1/2.5 and the 900 steps up to the 1/1.8 wich is the larger CCD. I have a few cameras that uses this CCD and the quality is really good.

Collapse -
SD900 is Tops
by robbiearm / July 3, 2007 11:41 AM PDT

I have both cameras SD800 and SD900....I wanted to decide via reading and assesing the reviews, but couldn't seem to get a fix on which was best for me.....so sought to find out for myself and return one of them.

Unfortunately, I like them both..but for different reasons. I do want easy, well framed non blurry shots, but also am a key believer in great resolution....here is what I have found after 1 week with both:

*The SD900 has amazing resolution and clarity....really amazing
*The IS really does work and the wide angle is fun......really fun

Guess I am gonna carry 2 around till Canon puts IS in the next generation of digital elph. If I had to choose one it would be the SD900...the pics are really amazing for a small compact.....really !!

I can live with a few fuzzy shots out of a card, but the SD800 pics beyond anything other than auto with flash indoor at low ISO looked poor...and some look very poor. However, how many people feel the need to turn off the flash indoors.........any zooming beyond normal (without flash) was of poor quality. Outdoor shots were fine..except beyond regular zoom ratio.

I have the Nikon D80 and its a great camera, but need small one for quick oportunities. My pick would be the SD900 because I rarely ended up with shake problems and can live with an occasional blur.

Not knocking the sd800..........does what it says but not for the resolution faint of heart. The SD900 has no competition to date in the resolution category for small compacts.

Best News is Canon delivers on each promise..just not completely on both

Good Luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?