TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Need Advice for Component and Fiber Optic Cables

by winrich / June 22, 2005 11:11 AM PDT

I am looking to purchase some component video cables, and I need some advice on which ones to buy. They will be linking a Toshiba RS-TX20 Tivo/DVD player to a Pioneer PDP-4340HD television. Would I be able to tell a difference in picture quality between the Monster Standard THX and the Monster Ultra 1000 THX component cables? It looks like I'd be able to purchase the Standard cables for about $25 and the Ultra cables for about $60.

Also, I have the same question for fiber optic audio cables (Standard THX vs. Ultra 1000 THX). I'll be using an Onkyo TX-SR502 receiver and Athena Micra 6 speakers.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Advice for Component and Fiber Optic Cables
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Advice for Component and Fiber Optic Cables
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Advice on cables
by slmosqueda / June 22, 2005 12:24 PM PDT

Hello,

In my humble opinion (I will get flack for this), cables are probably the most heavily marketed products in the industry. I would say over 90% of the cables on the market today are over hyped.

Those four cables you mentioned will all perform extremely well and you will not notice a significant difference between each pair. Obviously having the THX certification specifies that they have met the THX standard and are of the highest of quality. However, unless you are performing benchmark tests with sophisticated equipment, you will not (with the naked eye) be able to notice huge differences between the $60 pair of cables and the non-brand name $15 cables.

Honestly, I have dealt with $3 dollar component and optical cables that are thrown in with equipment, as well as the expensive $80+ cables. Very rarely can you tell a big difference between them either visually or audibly.

I would take DVI or HDMI cables over component, composite or S-Video all day long. When it comes to audio, I would take the Optical over any wire cable 100% of the time as it will provide the least resistance and signal degredation of all the cables. However, when it comes to the Optical cable, maker sure it has plenty of insulation around the cable to protect the delicate fiberglass or plastic cable in the middle of the cable.

Hope this helps,

Take Care,

Shawn Mosqueda
WireSmart LLC
www.wiresmart.com
shawn@wiresmart.com

How To Build A Home Theater PC ebook coming soon! visit www.wiresmart.com

Collapse -
Thanks!
by winrich / June 22, 2005 5:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Advice on cables

Thanks for your advice. I placed an order for the Standard THX cables. I was able to find Monster THX component, fiber optic, and subwoofer for $44.86 with shipping. I also took a look at your website -- looks great!

Collapse -
Advice on cables
by jcrobso / June 23, 2005 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Advice on cables

"In my humble opinion (I will get flack for this), cables are probably the most heavily marketed products in the industry. I would say over 90% of the cables on the market today are over hyped."
NOT FROM ME! I agree. Just get good cables! Don't pay an arm and a leg for them.
Now lets say you just bought a Pana or Sny, etc HDTV for $3000 or more and it comes with a set of componet cables.
I would use the cabels that come with unit. You will not see any improvment in picture quality by using a $100~200 set M cables or anybody else for that matter. John

Collapse -
Need Advice for Component and Fiber Optic Cables
by jcrobso / June 23, 2005 6:40 AM PDT

Go the Home Depot they have some nice RCA cables that will do the job. Keep in mind that componet cables are just 75ohm coax. John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.