Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need advice

by mo2 / June 28, 2006 3:17 AM PDT

I'm fianlly upgrading to DSL from dial up and now have a HP Pavillion ,Mill Me. Its crashing alot and has never been compatable with virus protectors so I am now in the market for a new computer. I have a great flat screen and Epson printer so am not interested in a package deal and need something compatable.I use my computer for Quickbooks, Quicken, Word,Works, some Photoshop and Internet. I go to some stores and they tell me Gateway another will say Dell etc. I don't see many HP's out there anymore and I thought mine served me well for years. Could someone tell me the pros and cons and what you recommend. And what Ram etc.... I am looking for as I'm not real up on any of this. Thanks for your help. MO

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I bet the monitor will be fine. The printer however...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2006 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Need advice

Some discover parallel ports and XP drivers to have vanished.

"Could someone tell me the pros and cons and what you recommend."

The pros and cons are already in posts made here. As to a reccomendation that's not possible since you don't have a price range. Some will go with Sony for looks or Apple (which does have your applications or even XP).

Your post needs a little more detail.

I use all the names and have little preference.

Bob

Collapse -
My two cents
by eddie11013 / June 28, 2006 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Need advice

Have a look at this link as a basic guide: http://compreviews.about.com/od/budgetdesk/tp/BudgetDesktops.htm In addition, I agree with Bob, all computers seem to work just fine. I have a Dell, my sister an HP and my brother an Emachine. No problems. If you're not in a big hurry, there are always sales. I just saw an ad two weeks ago from Office Depot for an HP "complete" system for $99 plus shipping & tax. It actually was a very good system. My sister also has "ME" and we were going to buy it but after the addon's it came to $250 so we backed off. After all her computer is working fine. Again, if your not in a hurry, the best shopping day is the day after Thanksgiving. I would look for a system that has at least: 2.0 GHz processor & 512MB to 1GB memory (or can be increased to), Windows XP Pro or Home. By the way, I have an Epson printer and it has a USB port, so what ever port you have, be it 'parallel' or USB, your new computer has to have those connections.
That's it. The end.
Good luck,
Eddie

Collapse -
two cents
by mo2 / June 29, 2006 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: My two cents

Thanks alot for your advice I can use all the good CENTS I can get. Mo

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!