Desktops forum

General discussion

Need Advice

by noalis / January 17, 2006 3:33 PM PST

Does anyone have advice on what computer I should buy? I've been on Dell's website and have been to stores but so confused about what I should purchase. It'll be for my home-based business used for word processing, accounting, running my website which will include posting pictures of my products and in the future some cad/cam (computer 3d design)work. Any advice is helpful. Thanks!
Lisa

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Alright...
by Computant / January 18, 2006 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: Need Advice

What kind of budget are you following? A good (Dell) computer under $1000 would be Dell's Dimension E510. Here is a link to the main page for the E510 models. http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/cto_entdt_e510?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

All are good though I would reccomend the base system. It can be customized as needed at the bottom of the page.

I would reccomend HP's line of Pavilions. Dell is known for poor customer support in terms of wait time when calling for assistance. The link to the Pavilions can be found here... http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/compare_category.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops/hp_pavilion&catLevel=1

The D4100y and D4100e both seem suited to your needs.

Collapse -
Advice Needed
by noalis / January 18, 2006 6:39 AM PST
In reply to: Alright...

I was hoping to spend not over $1200. I will look into HP. Do you know how their customer service rates?

Collapse -
well for me it has been great
by nerdyboy1234 / January 18, 2006 6:58 AM PST
In reply to: Advice Needed
Collapse -
Just wondering
by ikjadoon / January 18, 2006 10:04 AM PST

I'm pretty sure that that chipset has pci-e, but does that specific motherboard havee it?
~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
HP
by crazeebob2000 / January 26, 2006 9:47 AM PST

I agree with nerdyboy1234, I've had two HP pc's and never had any trouble with either of them. they both still work great.

Collapse -
Ratings Explained
by Computant / January 18, 2006 8:47 AM PST
In reply to: Advice Needed

You shouldn't need to spend quite that much (at most a thousand or so in my opinion). As for the reasoning behind my Dell comment, Dell makes outstanding computers (I'm using one now) but the company has grown so quickly that they are having trouble handling all of their customers' needs. In the event that your Dell computer needs service it could be more of a hassle then it should be to get the machine repaired.

HP Computer is rated very well, and they make reliable machines. ACSI (American Consumer Satisfaction Index) rated HP at 73, Gateway at 72 and Compaq at 67. Apple leads the pack with 81.

Collapse -
Dell
by actravels / January 26, 2006 6:05 AM PST
In reply to: Ratings Explained

Dell USED to make a superior product, but they have grown too fast. They don't care about their existing customers AT ALL. Case in Point -- Purchased from them in Oct. '03. Over the next 2 years THEY have found it necessary to replace 4 times, with refurbished units. I am now on my 5th, which I have had about 3 weeks, and the CD/CDR drive works intermittently. I am going out to buy an Apple.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!