Computer Help forum

Question

Need a Permanent Fix for Disappearing Notification Icons

by ljp123 / October 19, 2011 10:35 PM PDT

Please help! My volume, network, sound, clock icons in notification tray disappear regularly. I have an HP dv9000 notebook, running Windows Vista. I have done the "properties" thing and checked each item when they are not grayed out. I have done the "regedit" process and have ended explore.exe and restarted it. Icons always come back but it is never PERMANENT. What can I do to restore these icons, permanently?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need a Permanent Fix for Disappearing Notification Icons
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need a Permanent Fix for Disappearing Notification Icons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
One fix I use is to never hide any.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2011 5:25 AM PDT

However this is the FAMOUS DV9000 and you may be experiencing the usual failures. For that I have no good news.
Bob

Collapse -
Never Hide Any...
by ljp123 / October 20, 2011 7:16 AM PDT

I have not and do not check the "hide inactive icons" box. And yes my HPdv9000 may be experiencing more failures as my wireless network card is no longer able to recognize my network. I did resolve that problem thanks to another post on CNET by buying a new usb wireless adapter. Might be time to purchase a new computer!Thank you for your answer.
Linda

Collapse -
Just in case it's malware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2011 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Never Hide Any...

While I don't like the dv6000/9000 and it's similar laptops for what happened, let's give it one last try.

1. Power down, remove AC, battery then remove the failed wifi card. It can cause glitches.

2. I'd take Grif's advice at 7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

Bob

Collapse -
Will try...
by ljp123 / October 20, 2011 8:56 AM PDT

Ok, I will give that a try... I think. I did disable the wifi card before I installed the new wireless usb adapter.
I also checked out Grif's link. Lots of things to do there! Will have to think about that. I ran a system scan on Malwarebytes and Avast anti virus. All "appears" to be ok.
Will let you know. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Why do I remove the card?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2011 1:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Will try...

1. It draws power.
2. It creates heat.
3. It sits on a CPU bus that can cause trouble even when disabled.
Bob

Collapse -
Got It!
by ljp123 / October 20, 2011 9:37 PM PDT

Thanks for the explanation. Have not had the time to do this but I will give it a try this w/e. Can you tell me which laptops you do like?

Collapse -
Today?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2011 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Got It!

While I used to get HP, Tosh, Asus and more, HP failed in a spectacular way in service by destroying a laptop and not honoring the warranty (I'm out one laptop) they have earned my "avoid" when folk ask.

It's not only their service misdeeds but they can't fix an issue if you find it. This one was a BIOS bug that stopped the machine from booting when a smart phone was plugged in. All BIOS changes/settings do not fix it. It's a bug and HP claims they buy the bios so they can't fix it. I was not happy to be told by HP "that not many folk have smart phones" so they don't consider it a big problem.

So back to Dell, Tosh, Asus, Samsung, Apple etc. Those VALUE laptops are fine too if you consider them for what they are.

What am I typing on now? Samsung RC512. It's nice.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!