Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Need a new monitor for old computer

by DeanArchie65 / November 15, 2011 12:46 AM PST

I have a Dell Dimension 4500 with XP, Video card NVIDIA GE Force4 MX 420, the system has TV out if that makes any difference. My old CRT monitor is on its last days.
Is is possible for this system to support a newer model LCD monitor, and have a clear image? I read where the max resolution is 1920x1200. But now it is set on 1024x768.
Any help would be appreciated.

DeanArchie65 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need a new monitor for old computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need a new monitor for old computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Check and verify
by Willy / November 15, 2011 1:03 AM PST

You'll be better served if you get a new video card. That being done will provide the typical DVI/HDMI port(s), which will readily support your new LCD monitor. That way the resolution options will cross-reference and be a go. Yes, your Dell PC will support this, I assume you have either PCI or PCI-e type slot to mount new video card. If this AGP, then look for a PCI type video card. Your specs will show what you have. I also suggest you get a 512mb video ram card for a good fit on your system. While, you can install more or capable video card, then the PSU becomes an issue as you need better PSU to support the newer video card. Notice, you can't do one w/o the other upgrade(s). Your Dell 4500 is dated and thus you deem what cost can be permitted.

Collapse -
Support link
by Willy / November 15, 2011 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: Check and verify

PCI or AGP type video card:

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by DeanArchie65

Collapse -
Costs
by Willy / November 15, 2011 5:30 AM PST

As others have pointed out, the option of video card maybe an issue. However, if you get an used LCD monitor and remain with the current card you can install one. provided the LCD has VGA type connection, it will be a supporting what's currently present. Then again, your video card isn't all that hot, but at least you'll have LCD installed. Your next step will be a better video card, which is going to be either AGP or PCI type. The best AGP out there are dated as well, so used or new(un-sold) maybe you're only options. Again, I state what costs are involved are what deems this practical, though doable. Check eBay, Craigslist and even Goodwill(online) for used items as a source. At the same time, another used CRT type monitor can also be had for free or cheap via the sources I offered, up to you.

Collapse -
Thanks
by DeanArchie65 / November 15, 2011 10:10 PM PST
In reply to: Costs

A big thank you to Willy, and ghenghis, I do appreciate everyones input.
After reading everything you folks wrote I think I will just get a used CRT monitor for now and start looking for a new system.
I have seen some used 19" CRT monitors that have a resolution of 1024 X 768 I am wondering if one of those would work correctly on my computer as long as the connection is the same 15 pin as I have VGA I believe?

Thanks again,
DeanArchie65

Collapse -
(NT) 1024x768 is something this card does.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2011 10:44 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
Answer
No go.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2011 2:30 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
You're fighting a losing battle.
by ghenghis--2008 / November 15, 2011 3:47 AM PST

I had one of those systems, 5 years ago.

You have an AGP video bus and a 250W power supply and the motherboard maxes at 1Gb RAM, and an extremely small hard drive.

Your video card is pretty limited, if you go the monitor route make sure its got a VGA port, you can use your existing cable but you probably wont be happy with the results. Add a 512Mb video card for about $40 and that wont put a strain on your power supply, and it will improve the look of your graphics, the problem is once you get there you will want more. So now you'll be out about $150 - $200 to find out you need a new system.

I dont remember what resolutions that video card supports, but I did just look on ebay and there are some very good deals for 512M used/refurbed cards. I really wouldnt pay for a new card on that base system.

Also lots of good entry level bundles with monitors out there starting at $400 depending what you are going to use the system for. Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?