Computer Help forum

General discussion

NEED A NEW BROWSER

by nursescruffy / October 13, 2004 5:12 AM PDT

I need to find a new browser. I need one that I can create backgrounds with. I am using Microsoft Internet Explorer, but since I got my new computer with windows xp, I cannot create backgrounds and cannot view backgrounds that have already been created on websites. Since I can't seem to get the problem resolved, I was hoping someone might have a suggestion as to a good browser that would let me do this. Thank you Barb

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NEED A NEW BROWSER
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NEED A NEW BROWSER
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This really needs explanation.
by Kees Bakker / October 13, 2004 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: NEED A NEW BROWSER

Barb,

A browser just reads and displays html-pages (mostly from a website) and the like. You can't use a browser to change anything on the web, it's strictly read-only, except html-forms, where you can fill in data in forms (such as an order form, or the field I write this in, or a webmail-application). But the contents of the form go into a database somewhere on a server, and normally aren't used as background for any page, unless the site is programmed otherwise. The html displayed is static and can't be changed by you.

And what exactly is the html-command showing backgrounds that doesn't work in your IE and did work previously. The usual - for backgrounds - is something like {body background="pics/flowers.gif"}.

There must be a whole world hidden behind your question that's clear to you and unclear to at least me and probably most of the other members. I remember a previous thread (http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6122-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=38224&messageID=447975) which didn't work out either.

The font color and backgrounds in emails might be easy. But of course, it heavily depends on your email-client. Assuming it's Outlook Express, use Format>Rich Text to be able to use fonts, including colors, and add backgrounds to your message. But I've got the impression you don't mean Outlook Express.

It's still a mystery to me what you did on your old machine.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: NEED A NEW BROWSER
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 13, 2004 9:00 AM PDT

Nurse,

In addition to some more information...

Windows XP tends to use a different default program to view pictures than did 98 or ME. If you're having problems wallpaper out of pictures, such as .bmp, or .jpg, it's possible that the default for XP needs to be changed to something of your liking. Internet Explorer was used in Windows 98 and can be set as default by finding a .jpg file on your computer, RIGHT click on the icon, choose "Open With", select "Choose Program", and when the program window opens, place a CHECK mark in the box next to: "Always use this program to open this file type", then double click on "Internet Explorer". BMP files used MSPaint and can be reset in the same manner.

You should also be able to set all pictures as background by RIGHT clicking on a picture file, choose "Set as Desktop Background".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: NEED A NEW OS
by lilsim89 / October 13, 2004 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: NEED A NEW BROWSER

Its more like, you need a new OS. Have you heard of linux. I'm a switcher. Linux isn't half bad if you give it a chance. You will probable come up with, "Linux is to hard to use.". That excuse is pitiful. This isn't your grandmas version of linux. Linux has been directed toward the consumer line, If you can use windows, you can definately use linux. I love the stabilaty and ease of linux. I still have windows for certain reasons but I primarily use linux. Oh, did I mention linux is uncomparably more secure than windows. A firewall is built into most big versions of linux called distributions. If you are interested then go to linux.org. Find out if its for you and my suggestion is that you use the linux distribution called SuSE. You can download the free version at suse.com. You don't have to delete windows. If you have 3 gigs free space then SuSE can reallocate windows to make free space and install there. All of your files will remain intact. When you boot, you will receive the choice to use linux or windows. Its all yours from there. Ill be checking back.

Collapse -
Read this.
by Kees Bakker / October 14, 2004 9:42 PM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!