Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Need a machine gun?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need a machine gun?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need a machine gun?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
woops, wrong link

In reply to: Need a machine gun?

Collapse -
There ya go. Thats better.

In reply to: woops, wrong link

Now, I can just see me going up to the local PD and asking the chief for a Machine Gun permit. May as well get one for an assault weapon too.

Tell ya what Dragon, I'll take the Cat. Happy

George

Collapse -
I have a .22 rifle, slide pump

In reply to: There ya go. Thats better.

Not a semiautomatic and far from a machine gun, but it will fire as fast as I can pump it. During my younger days in the country, I got to be a pretty good shot. Running rabbits didn't have a chance. Might've made a sniper if I had training. I knew how breathing and the working of the heart affected aim, with breathing giving an up and down movement, and the heart giving a side to side movement. I knew I'd have to relax as much as possible. Some of that insight came from my best buddy, who had gone to a military school.

Collapse -
Speaking of 22's. It reminds me...

In reply to: I have a .22 rifle, slide pump

of this story that happen back in the good old days...

We had a couple of those 22's.
Back in the HS days of farm country USA, just south of Saratoga Springs we had built a hooch up in the woods along side of the RR tracks. Used to hop the midnight freight passing through this hick town of Round Lake on Friday nights for a weekend of hell raising. When the engineer blew the whistle for the third crossing, that was our signal to bail off. Our path to the camp was right there at a clearing. Since it was suppose wild animal country, although I never saw a bear in the 2 years spent there. We had 2 twelve guage and 1 sixteen guage shotguns. Plus a 30-06 deer rifle (I believe), (1) 22 & (1) 32 side arms. Plus the 22's.

Anyway, we had this one kid from the city spending the weekend up here with his cousin. Real green horn. He loved shooting those 22's so we let him shoot up all the tin cans in the place. Come night fall we spent some time swapping hunting stories and animals that strayed into the camp and then we all hit the sack. About 4 AM I woke up to BAM, BAM, BAM. This dumb kid is sitting there shooting through the side of the tent. I said what the hell you shooting at.? BEAR, BEAR was all he could say choking and shaking like a leaf. I took a peek outside and jeeze, Its a cow. Damn stupid kid was shooting at a cow. Don't know to this day if he hit him. The cow took off. We broke camp and screwed never to be seen in that area again.

The shadows at night with a full moon, inside a tent look pretty creepy.

George

Collapse -
I can get you a better deal...

In reply to: woops, wrong link

Collapse -
Thats a mean looking Cat to me..

Wheres the machine gun?

Collapse -
The cat's why you need the machine gun!

In reply to: Thats a mean looking Cat to me..

Now I'm in trouble! Devil
Collapse -
no, my cat is bigger and carries--but what does anyone

think about this home defense alternative?

"Mossberg's 410 home defender: a well-targeted shotgun - Column
Shooting Industry, March, 1992 by Scott Farrell

A Well-Targeted Shotgun

What are the three reasons customers buy guns? To hunt, to target shoot, and to defend themselves. Of the three, the trickiest to sell is a self-defense customer. Hunters know when and where they want to hunt, plinkers and competitors know how much fun target shooting is, but no one wants to use a gun to shoot another person.........
Fortunately, that task has been made a little easier by the folk at Mossberg with their new HS 410. This pump-action, .410 shotgun is designed with the home-defense customer in mind. It won't interest trap shooters or customers who want to carry a gun for self defense..........."

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3197/is_n3_v37/ai_12462187/pg_1

to avoid needing a machine gun if we could avoid 2nd amendment issues and pro/con ownership issues. I am looking for weapon user opinions. thanks

Collapse -
Machine guns

In reply to: no, my cat is bigger and carries--but what does anyone

I would like to have a Thompson sub-machine gun, just because of the look, and history. Now, if you can get a class three license you must have that weapon available on request from the BATF, any day, any hour, at their leisure. They can call you up at 3 A.M. telling you they are coming to make sure that weapon is still in your possession.
But back to the Thompson, I just think the design is outstanding. Sure would liked to have had one when walking point! Plus, if you've got your license you'll need between $16-25,000 to purchase one.
As far as shooting someone in self defense, no problem here. If you want a good read about humans killing humans check out " On Killing".

Tom

This might be a bit too much though!

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f189/marinetbryant/video/?action=view&current=20mmgun.flv

Collapse -
Home defense

In reply to: Machine guns

Collapse -
(NT) Good one :)

In reply to: Home defense

Collapse -
Walking with a Thompson?

I wouldn't. Though nice pieces they are, they sure do rattle a lot. Makes it awfully hard to stalk anybody or anything. (Though maybe you wouldn't really need to. ;))

Collapse -
You must be referring...

In reply to: Walking with a Thompson?

You must be referring to the drum magazine, which tended to sometimes rattle, and worse yet, jam. That's the reason that the military M1A1 redesign wouldn't take a drum magazine by design. Another thing to consider that the M1A1 weighed about 10 pounds, and the old original design that took the drum weighed in at about 15 pounds loaded. Once I got the opportunity to hold one, and the first thing that hit me was the weight. Next time you're at the grocery store, pick up three 5 pound bags of sugar and imagine running around with that in your arms.
The original design is still a beautiful piece of precision machine work, though.

Collapse -
Yep, fine MG

that was made popular during the 30's, especially on that Valentine day in Chicago. Course' Bonnie & Clyde preferred the heavy BAR....30-06 vs .45 pistol ammo that could knock out police car engines & spread panic just firing it in the air.

If I recall those in WWII and Korea who were issued the Thompson were also issued the 19llA1 Auto .45 cal. pistol, as the Thompson had a bad habit of jamming or breaking at the worst possible moment. We, during the Korean war, were issued a replacement nicknamed the "Grease Gun", also .45 cal. and not any better, jamming etc...
Small hand held machine guns were not very reliable until Israel came out with their Uzi. The initial model was accepted by their Army in 1951 and was first used in battle in 1956 and gained huge success. It was soon developed into a number of better engineered variants.

Collapse -
The .45 cal round of the Tommy gun...

In reply to: Yep, fine MG

had awesome knockdown power but the BAR... for all around firepower which can be used for anti-personnel as well as anti-vehicle and anti-aircraft... would be my choice for home field advantage... not that I think about such things. Wink

The modernized version of the BAR... the belt fed M240 medium machine gun (FN MAG) is a world wide staple used today.

grim

Collapse -
Maybe I could have sold my. land mine....

...on the internet. (Bt I doubt it would go by FedEx or UPS.)

Yes, I did have one.

While gping through my parent's house readying it for sale, I found a land mine. I don't know where it came from. My mom was the sort that if somebody asked her if she's like to have a land mine, she'd say "Sure!" Happy

My brother said it had been defused. But he was a doctor, so what did he know. Happy

Anyway, I decided to call the local Army recruiting station to tell them my problem. They sent a sargeant to the house to retrieve it. He said he couldn't tell if it was from WWII or Korea, but would take it to Ft. Campbell. He also said it had been defused.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
A very reliable, flame spitting bullet hose.

Just what I need.

And a cure for my osteoarthritis ... in fact, keep the gun, I'll take the cure. Happy

Collapse -
First time I took a look at this post...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.