Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Need a little help with Spybot S&D

Hi there,
I'm having some trouble with Spybot S&D and I could use a little help. I can't seem to get the scheduler to work. I'm sure I went through each step properly,
(click>ADD,click>EDIT, then set the time I want it to run.) I set it to run every day at 3:00am. But it doesn't. On the Scheduler screen it posts;
Next run time: (My settings do appear here)
Last run time: (This is blank)
Schedule: (My settings start date)
The scheduler hasn't worked at all since I installed Spybot several months ago. I uninstalled it and downloaded it again yesterday and tried scheduling it,
and I got the same results. I believe I've tried everything and to no avail. So I figured it's time to post.
I run manuel scans often but I sure would like the convienence of it running on it's own. Any help would be great. Here's some info...
I have Windows XP SP2. I have sbc yahoo DSL. My computer is on 24/7. Besides Spybot S&D I also run AD-Aware, and I run eTrust EZ Antivirus.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need a little help with Spybot S&D
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need a little help with Spybot S&D
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Spybot

In reply to: Need a little help with Spybot S&D

Hi grj

I run Spybot 1.04 on a Me system in auto check mode. This may or may not help.

I have to run the windows task scheduler along with the spybot scheduler.

The sequence to set up task scheduler is start>programs>accessories>system tools>scheduled task>add scheduled task This brings up the wizard needed to schedule Spybot.

Hope this helps
Ray

Collapse -
grj712, do you use password to log-on

In reply to: Need a little help with Spybot S&D

to your Windows XP user's account?
If no, that is possible reason why the the task has not run at all.

Try this:
Open User Accounts in Control Panel. Choose your user account, add/create password. When you restart the system, the Welcome Screen with log-on each time then you will enter your password.

Edit the Scheduled scan for Spybot S&D, it will ask for your password when you hit "apply" or OK button. Enter the password. The task should run. If not, let us know.

Collapse -
Thank you both for responding,

In reply to: grj712, do you use password to log-on

I've been gone for a few days so I'm just getting the chance now to reply to your replies. First of all I would like to thank you both for your info. Before I went on my trip I went ahead and did as you both suggested, then adjusted the start time for the scheduler and when I returned I found that it had worked just as I scheduled it. I don't know which of the advice given actually did the trick, but I'm greatful that it's working, FINALLY working.
By the way Donna, I've set up two user accounts for myself. One for admin purposes (which I have a Password set to gain access) and the other is the one I mainly use, especially on the Internet. I believe I learned it here, at this site, it's better not to use an administrating account for web usage, also having DSL and computer on always. A second user account is safer.

Thanks again, Gary

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good to know it ran Gary :-)

In reply to: Thank you both for responding,

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.