need a little help

by rwp_17 / January 23, 2006 2:03 AM PST

hp vectra vl 2/266 series 7
128mb main memory
azt2320 sound card
intel pro ethernet card
pentium 2 w/ MMX

installed suse 10 successfully
first boot immediately after install (no reboot)
tried to boot up again Sad will not move past the word "GRUB" i have tried installs without LVM never worked however i can't for the life of me figure out how to get LVM to work properly

please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need a little help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need a little help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
more info
by rwp_17 / January 23, 2006 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: need a little help

bootloader
installed to /dev/hda2

could that be the problem?

Collapse -
Aha.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2006 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: more info

Which drive is the boot drive?

Collapse -
here is the set up
by rwp_17 / January 23, 2006 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: Aha.

hda1 0-31
swap drive
mount point is swap
format swap

hda2 32-522
root drive
mount point is /
format ext3

4.0GB drive

Collapse -
what is the boot drive?
by rwp_17 / January 23, 2006 3:38 AM PST
In reply to: Aha.

is it starting at 0?
or is it hda1

i need help here
because i have no idea

Collapse -
The boot drive is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2006 4:26 AM PST

The one you set in the BIOS as the boot drive (if the BIOS has that feature) or is the Master Drive on the Primary IDE controller.

You put the boot loader somewhere else.

Bob

Collapse -
oh
by rwp_17 / January 23, 2006 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: The boot drive is...

i have checked no sign of any such feature

except i only have that one particular 4GB drive and a cd-rom drive

Collapse -
install w/ LVM
by rwp_17 / January 23, 2006 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: oh

can you guys help me install with LVM
thats all i ask

Collapse -
Google
by Ixthusdan / January 23, 2006 10:30 PM PST

If you Google "LVM" you will find an excellent "Howto" on the first or second hit. I am curious, however, as to why you are wanting to use LVM on a small system. Typically, it is more useful in larger setups, servers, with many hard drives.

Are your SuSE disks commercial or did you burn them? SuSE does need to reboot once in order to complete its setup. SuSE perfomes a base installation and then wants to complete everything from within its own environment. If the reboot encounters problems, you will get a problematic installation. GRUB freezing indicates a serious problem to me. Would you post the information that SUSE reports, that is configuration information, during the install?

Collapse -
anyone please tell me if i am right
by rwp_17 / January 24, 2006 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: Google

set up
hda 1 mount /boot
hda2 and hda3 LVM

am I right?

Collapse -
Hardware descriptions
by Ixthusdan / January 24, 2006 2:51 AM PST

The primary ide device is called hda. The numbers represent the partitions on that device. So, hda1 would be the first partition on hda.
The secondary device is called hdb. Again, any partitions would be numbers, so hdb1 would be the first partition on that device.
The secondary master is hdc.
The secondary slave is hdd.
Any of these devices can have partition(s) if they are hard drives. My own drives are on hda and hdd, and hda has 3 partitions while hdd has 6 partitions. hdb and hdc are cd devices in my system.

Could you please re-ask the question using the above descriptions? I am a little fuzzy, otherwise.

Collapse -
i have 1 4gb hard drive
by rwp_17 / January 24, 2006 3:01 AM PST
In reply to: Hardware descriptions

what i am asking is does the drive that contains grub have to be seperate when dealing with LVM

Collapse -
I don't thik so...
by Ixthusdan / January 24, 2006 9:13 AM PST

From what I have read, LVM is an abstraction layer freeing up the limitations encountered with direct hardware reads. It seems that any of the data is handled in this way, including data on boot devices. But, I have never needed to do this, and do not even have a need for a RAID operation in my system. I could see a use for this on servers where a non-RAID hot swap could run into trouble on a linux server. Editing the config would fix it, but LVM would guarantee contiuous up time without the config edits. At least that is what I understood in the reading.

Collapse -
successful boot
by rwp_17 / January 25, 2006 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: I don't thik so...

i tried just last night after reinstall with a /boot mounted partition and it worked

after the splash screen for the bios it comes up with something about the intel boot agent
i wonder if that is why it would not boot otherwise

i do wonder...

Collapse -
Overlay?
by Ixthusdan / January 25, 2006 4:51 AM PST

I am not sure what an Intel boot manager is, but it occurred to me that your system is old enough to possibly be using a boot overlay in order to compensate for a bios problem with reading large hard drives. Those overlays are a nightmare to work with! You are better off buying a bios for your board from biosman.

Collapse -
problem solved
by rwp_17 / January 26, 2006 7:41 AM PST

it did have to be on a /boot mounted partition

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?