Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Need a little help...

Hi All I'm Back,
Been out on the west coast for the past month playing with my Grandson, now I'm trying to get all my programs up to date for the past month.
So far I have updated SpywareBlaster,Ad-Aware SE,AVG (paid version) Spybot-S&D, MSAS but still have the old build, I notice some are haveing some problems. Should I go with the new 1.0.614 or wait a few days?
I've been going back through the daily updates, haven't checked on the windows updates yet.
If anyone has encountered any problems with anything, give me a heads up Please. You can check my profile to see what I use.
Thanks, and good to be back home.
Larry

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need a little help...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need a little help...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Welcome back Larry

In reply to: Need a little help...

There have been a few that have had problems with the MSAS new version but that is nothing new really for that program. LOL I'm probably one of the few that has not messed with the new version yet. It has not been offered to me via the updater yet and I figure I have a month left before the old one runs out. I DO have the newest defs though so this is what I am using personally at the moment. I will continue to use it for a while because it is working fine still and the defs are current. Most of the others have the newer version. Some are having problems and some aren't.

Microsoft AntiSpyware Version: 1.0.509
This version expires on: 7/31/2005
Spyware Definition Version: 5729 (6/25/2005 3:43:24 PM)

Collapse -
Same version I have...

In reply to: Welcome back Larry

Mine hasn't tried to upate either. It did update the defs.
Larry

Collapse -
There are ways to do it

In reply to: Same version I have...

manually Larry, I chose to wait for a while myself because the old one is working fine with no bugs and I can still get the new defs through it for the moment so I guess it's a personal choice. We have a month left. LOL

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) If it 's not broke why fix it...LOL

In reply to: There are ways to do it

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Exactly how I feel. LOL

In reply to: (NT) If it 's not broke why fix it...LOL

Collapse -
Wait for Notification, right?

In reply to: There are ways to do it

Microsoft's information about MSAS 1.0.614 states "USERS who install Windows AntiSpyware (beta) prior to the release of the beta update will receive it as a software update. NEW USERS will be able to download the updated beta through the beta download page." They further comment about testing; ".....making sure that things are OK before releasing to all TESTERS."
With all the forum comments on problems, is this a rush to judgement scenario or just semantical confusion over NEW USER...PRIOR USER...TESTER..et al???
I am still using the first beta refresh (build 1.0.509) and haven't received any notice as yet. I assume that I should wait, like you indicate?? Thanks.

Collapse -
I chose to wait myself, I'm

In reply to: Wait for Notification, right?

still using the old one and I am going to wait until I get notified via the updater on the program. Many people didn't want to wait and are downloading it manually, some successful and some not. It's your choice.

Collapse -
Reminder: Expiration

In reply to: Wait for Notification, right?

Hi all,

Just want to remind you that the earlier build of MS AntiSpyware will expire on July 31st.

If the software updater will not give you the update automatically before July 31st, please manually download the new installer from Microsoft website http://www.microsoft.com/spyware

Install on top of current build or uninstall the old build before installing the new build.

The current build 1.0.614 has no major issues. The hot-issue so far is its "updater" which has possible work-around in updating the definitions that might help others:

Method I:
Locate the following files in MSAS directory:

gcThreatAuditScanData.gcd
gcThreatAuditThreatData.gcd

Rename or delete the above files.

If the above method failed to update the definitions properly, try the next method.

Method II:

Manually download the definitions for Microsoft Antispyware Beta 1:

http://download.spynet.com/ASDefinitions/gcDeterminationData.gcd
http://download.spynet.com/ASDefinitions/gcThreatAuditScanData.gcd
http://download.spynet.com/ASDefinitions/gcThreatAuditThreatData.gcd

Save these files in your MSAS directory overwriting the
older definitions.

Collapse -
PS

In reply to: Need a little help...

Unless you have not updated your profile lately I noticed some others that you use that have updated builds.
Spybot S&D 1.4 final is out
Ad-Aware SE build 1.06 is out
CCleaner 1.20.118 is also out

Collapse -
Thanks Roddy...

In reply to: PS

I think It was up to date when I left, I'll check on the new versions.
Lots of fun. LOL

Collapse -
That will keep you

In reply to: Thanks Roddy...

occupied but not as much as the grandkids do. Tough to keep up with them. LOL You're welcome and if you think of anything else, you KNOW one of will be here so just ask. Grin

Collapse -
OK think I may be all updated...

In reply to: That will keep you

Except for windows, which I will do tomorrow. Just saw the new SpywareBlaster and got it.
My dialup is very slow tonight.
Larry

Collapse -
OK, Larry, I just posted that one, good

In reply to: OK think I may be all updated...

luck with the Windows Updates, I'm gone for the night myself now.

Collapse -
Finally got my Windows Updates for June...

In reply to: OK, Larry, I just posted that one, good

Didn't get to do it yesterday. First it updated the 3.1 installer, and I chose to go with Custom Install. I had 9 High Priority updates. These were 898461,883939,898458,893066,890830,896358,890046,896422,896428.
Did everyone get these and did I miss any?
I think I'm finally all updated, except for the new MSAS Build. May try it next.
Thanks
Larry

Collapse -
Yep, you have the same ones

In reply to: Finally got my Windows Updates for June...

that I got, I keep them written on a list so I chceked my list. The first one on your list (898461) didn't come out until June 28th. The others were all from the regular June release. As far as MSAS, I got the 5731 defs this morning but I'm still using the old build until it offers it to me via the updater. If it gets towards the end of the month before that happens, THEN I will do it manually. Sounds like you are all caught up Larry. Grin

Collapse -
Thank You Roddy, Appreciate it!

In reply to: Yep, you have the same ones

I write mine down also. Haven't got the new updates for MSAS yet but I'm sure they will be along shortly.
This Dialup has got to go, I need to get DSL. No cable out here in the country. At least I won't be gone for a month again any time soon, Maybe a few days of camping occasionally. Also need to get a laptop.
Thanks Again!
Larry

Collapse -
I'm in the same boat Larry, the only

In reply to: Thank You Roddy, Appreciate it!

other thing available where I live is satelite (can't even get regular DSL) but we get so many severe storms in Kansas that I lose the TV signal whenever there are storms in the southern sky even if they are 100 miles away. For that reason, I also have a regular antenna for the TV so I can watch the weather guy if we have tornadoes on the area. LOL. I don't want to lose the internet when the storms are 100 miles away. I had very old hand-me-down computers for many years so they were real slow but I bought a brand new one a year ago that to ME is very fast, even on dialup after what I was used to so I'm happy with it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.