Laptops forum

General discussion

Need a laptop for Digital Media development. Unsure on GPU

by Snyper3xs / November 8, 2010 12:43 PM PST

hi guys
I been looking getting a new laptop and am current in over my head.
I need the laptop mainly for work purposes (digital media developer). So it would need to have a few programs running such as
- photoshop
- fireworks
- eclipse (coding program)
- A few browers
- Email client.
- etc

Hence I'm not sure what kind of system I would need. I not sure how important a graphic card is in regard to all of this. I wouldn't mind a 512 or 1gb GPU so I could play some games if I wish.

Looking at the following brands
Toshiba, Asus, Lenovo, sony.

Don't want to spend much over $1000.

lookign at this one
or maybe

Any help would be amazing!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need a laptop for Digital Media development. Unsure on GPU
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need a laptop for Digital Media development. Unsure on GPU
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2010 11:36 PM PST

To make links clickable the simple fix is to not preface your links with anything. Example:

For me the real issue is the keyboard and display. Ever since we blew past 1.0GHz and one CPU my work in Visual Studio, Eclipse, browsers and email has not taxed the machines. And not one laptop that is work oriented has anything better than the Intel 4500MHD GMA solution. And it's not slow.

Today we have better systems which I'll give the nod to Core i5, 4GB RAM and Windows 7 in 64 bits to be the basis for my code stations.

Collapse -
Graphic Apps
by Snyper3xs / November 9, 2010 7:46 AM PST
In reply to: A tip.

Programs such as Photoshop, Fireworks and Flash are going to take considerably more power than coding and browser program. Much of the time these are just as much part of my work as coding. Does the graphics card play as role in running these programs?

Collapse -
I have to write no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2010 11:54 PM PST
In reply to: Graphic Apps

Even with the Intel 4500MHD we can play HD content at full speed over HDMI at 60FPS. This is certainly not a display speed issue if an image can be moved from the CPU to screen in 1/60th of a second. Flash for years didn't use a GPU and most of the time it still doesn't. We can dismiss that.

Photoshop is CPU heavy. Nod to the i5.

Collapse -
by Snyper3xs / November 10, 2010 4:15 PM PST
In reply to: I have to write no.

Thanking you.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?