Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Need a good wireless router -- Newbie here

by roypro / June 16, 2006 7:28 PM PDT

I am looking for suggestions for a wireless router. I went to Fry's electronics today (an electronics store comparable to bets buy) and saw that they had Linksys, Netgear and D-Link. They had various speeds and ranges.

I plan to use my router for 2-3 months over the summer while I go back home to Asia. The internet speed is not as fast as that in USA. I plan to connect my desktop to the router, yet still use it with the RJ45 cable. The wireless function will be used by my siblings.

Can anyone please guide me as to which brand and any model that you would recommend?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need a good wireless router -- Newbie here
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need a good wireless router -- Newbie here
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wireless Router
by jamesebaker / June 16, 2006 8:44 PM PDT
Collapse -
I like the Linksys wrt54g
by pratapan / June 17, 2006 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Wireless Router

there are several versions of this.

Stay away form anything that says "Pre-N". This is not a standard. "MIMO" technology helps range and speed but adds to cost. Usually the DSL is the slowest link so even an 802.11 B wireless device can exceed the speed of DSL. I like the basic WRT54G router. It does what I need. It has a nice interface. And it allows me to do some advanced configurations like enable RIP, add static routes. Most routers in this market allow a DMZ host and port forwarding.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?