Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Question

Need a good browser to transition from Opera 12 with

by wohdin / March 2, 2014 8:38 AM PST

I've been kind of spoiled by (pre-Next) Opera's built-in features for several years now (since about 2006 really - most of my internet life for almost the past decade is stored in my Opera installation), but now that I'm literally 10 versions behind, as I've flat out refused to switch to the Chromium-based Opera Next which, in what little testing I did with it, is slow as absolute balls, and also lacks the most critical and basic features that had always made Opera so unfathomably awesome in the first place (in particular the built-in email/RSS client and the absolute godsend of a sidebar which also worked in conjunction to keep all that **** on the screen literally at all times without being obtrusive to web browsing), I've kind of realized that Opera 12 is now pretty outdated and is quickly becoming obsolete in terms of supporting web standards and practices. So I'm thinking about switching to something different, something a bit more modernized... Problem is, I have no idea what to switch to. I've been using Chrome as a supplemental browser to Opera for a while (mainly for the handful of sites that for some reason don't work properly on Opera - Mega, I'm looking at you), but it's also way too slow to be useful to me. I've also been kind of biased against Firefox, but I haven't really looked into it in about a year or so, so things might have changed recently.

I basically need something that can have upwards of 30+ tabs open at any time without lagging (which Opera has never had any sort of problem doing), has good and simple bookmark organization, a nice, organized and informative download manager (preferably one that is viewable in its own tab and not in a popout window - and really I prefer this for pretty much every feature), and some sort of page debugging information feature (Opera's page info tab is AMAZING and still one of my favorite things in any browser ever, but I've never seen anything even remotely comparable in any other browser). I suppose it doesn't need to have a built-in mail or RSS client since I can just switch to Opera Mail which is basically just the mail client part of the old browser without the webkit stuff, but that's not even remotely the optimal solution, especially since I don't have a whole lot of RAM.

Anyone have some suggestions for me? I really don't want to be left behind in the web world, but at this rate it seems like the inevitable conclusion if I don't change soon. God, I wish I knew what Opera was thinking, abandoning what was still at the time the best web renderer available in favor of something so horribly inefficient (as much as I love Chrome, it's probably the single biggest resource hog installed on my machine, even with just a few tabs open).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need a good browser to transition from Opera 12 with
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need a good browser to transition from Opera 12 with
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
My new laptop
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2014 9:13 AM PST

Has 16GB and I can have about that many tabs open in Chrome or Firefox so how do I see this lag you are asking about?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I'm using
by itsdigger / March 2, 2014 9:39 AM PST

Firefox Nightly v 30.0a1 and can't bog it down. If you REALLY want a bleeding edge browser , give it a shot.

here's the link > http://nightly.mozilla.org/

Digger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.