Cameras forum

General discussion

Need a DSLR like Camera without DSLR price.Nothing Above 220

by livinchillinLOVE / October 2, 2010 12:29 AM PDT

I have looked at a number of cameras. I just need to know which is the best. I need a semi-quick camera. Good in all areas of light. Especially night because i love taking night photos. I do not want something magical. Just good in those areas. I do prefer one with a seeing eye (i do not know the technical name) I have looked a Fujifilm S1000, Kodak Z1012, Kodak Z981, Kodak Z915, Nikon coolpix p100, Nikon Coolpix L110, Kodak z812. Out of those 7 which do you think is the best? Also any suggestions? Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need a DSLR like Camera without DSLR price.Nothing Above 220
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need a DSLR like Camera without DSLR price.Nothing Above 220
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -

Get yourself a used DSLR.

Collapse -
Safe used camera
by livinchillinLOVE / October 2, 2010 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Used DSLR

Is that a good idea? and if so, where. I do not trust craigslist and ebay when it comes to electronic devices.I going to be on here all day researching cameras

Collapse -
Used camera equipment
by hjfok / October 2, 2010 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Safe used camera
Collapse -
Great Suggestion but now...
by livinchillinLOVE / October 2, 2010 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Used camera equipment

Which camerais best? Nikon Coolpix P80, Kodak Z1012, Nikon 8800, Canon Powershot S3,and the coolpix p100?

Collapse -
All of them are supposedly great but
by livinchillinLOVE / October 2, 2010 11:44 PM PDT

I need to know which one is significantly or slightly better. I might get a used camera or I might wait a little longer, save up and get a more expensive camera. How about any suggestions for a dslr under 400? I keep hearing about the cannon rebel cameras but they are quite expensive. I am a newbie to cameras but I learn quick (thanks to the manual and YouTube).
I still want a great camera for night and quick shots (fast shutter speed). And also a camera for interesting shots or nature shots.

Thank you for the above suggestions. I am looking at used cameras but I am still scared of buying a used one. B&H did help and I most likely buy from them if I want a used camera.

Collapse -
Budget camera for low light or night shots
by hjfok / October 4, 2010 4:19 AM PDT

I don't think any PS camera is good at low light or night shots. As someone else mentioned above, you should consider a D-SLR if you do a lot of low light photography.

Used D-SLR is okay to buy from a reputable store that does technical inspection of the equipment. However I will not buy used PS cameras since they are usually not made to last long these days. Look for a camera with a larger sensor, a larger aperture (small f/number) lens, lower noise (at high ISO) and has manual controls.

From the previous link I gave you:

The Canon 30D $700 is a pretty good deal, which comes with a 17-85mm lens. I still use my old Canon 30D, which was twice this price without any lens when it first came out. It performs well in low light, especially when you pair it with a fast lens. The cheapest fast lens is 50mm f/1.8. The 17-85mm lens is a very versatile general purpose lens, though not a low light action lens. If you absolutely have to stay below $400, the list included Nikon D40 with 18-55mm kit lens and some Sony entry models. Any D-SLR will be better than a PS camera in low light, but it is best when used with a large aperture lens.

You will also need a tripod for low light photography.

Collapse -
Tripod? Hmmm
by livinchillinLOVE / October 4, 2010 8:31 AM PDT

When I say low light. I mean streets of NYC and concert shots and parties. Night shots with a bit of light. Action shots and what not. I am new to lenses also so please explain more. And would you be willing to sell that camera in your possesion lol for under 400 dollars? Most likely no but...

Collapse -
Cannon or Nikon for under 360
by livinchillinLOVE / October 7, 2010 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Low light shots

I know now that I want either a cannon or nikon camera/dslr for under 359.99. Used for under 200. Is that impossible?

Collapse -
That's asking a lot
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / October 7, 2010 11:04 AM PDT

You can't even get a very good point and shoot for $200, even the best point and shoots are over $359.99. Asking for a good, even used, DSLR for less than that is just hoping to get lucky. Really, your best chance for a used DSLR in that range and was made in the last 4 years is probably going to be a Sony A230 or A380. Those DSLRs were flops because of the poor ergonomics and can be had very cheap. You might be able to find an old Nikon D40 or Canon XT, but those will definitely be older cameras.

Collapse -
Luck, yes! Older camera I do not mind
by livinchillinLOVE / October 7, 2010 12:43 PM PDT
In reply to: That's asking a lot

I do not mind if it's an older cannon or nikon as long is it's good. There is a kodak Dslr like camera refurbished 169. I think it's the z1012. What do all of u think?

Collapse -
by PistonCupChampion / October 7, 2010 1:36 PM PDT

The Z1012 is nothing more than a compact point and shoot but with a longer zoom lens. So it won't be better indoors, nor will it have the operational speed of a real DSLR.

Collapse -
Sony a230
by PistonCupChampion / October 10, 2010 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: That's asking a lot
Collapse -
It still comes out roughly to $319
by hfguide / October 12, 2010 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Sony a230

I just bought this camera two weeks ago from Sony Style. It still comes out to a little over $300 in spite of the discount in the cart, due to taxes (in my case $313).

Still, it's a great buy! To the OP: you're not going to find a full-featured DSLR at this price so might as well get it! Plus, you can use Minolta lenses with it!

Collapse -
A few cameras on the list

Refurbished Nikon p80 199
Used Canon Rebel Chrome Body 179
Used Fujifilm Finepix S5100 99
New Fujifilm Finepix S2000hd 199
Any other suggestions? and which would be the greatest out of these 4. See I can find a cannon or nikon used for under 250...Its not luck

Collapse -
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / October 8, 2010 1:39 PM PDT

The Nikon P80 is just a megazoom camera, not a DSLR, and it wasn't rated as a very good camera for a megazoom. Which Canon Rebel is that one? If it's an XT then that could easily be a 5 year old camera, which if it was film then it lasts forever but it's an electronics device. Also, you put that it's only the body, which means that you will have to buy a lenses for it and getting the 18-55IS kit lens to go along with it will run you another $150.

Out of those, the Canon Rebel would be the best, if it's an XT or higher, but with the caveat that you will not have the flexibility of the long zooming like the others and you'll have to fork out more money for a lens for the Canon.

Collapse -
If you're genuinely seeking help here. . .
by Truckles / October 8, 2010 5:20 PM PDT

. . . then the best advice I can give you is to use Google, because that way you'll finish up at various review sites of various cameras and in doing so develop the knowledge you so obviously lack.

You're never going to find the "right" camera for you if you simply ask other's opinions instead of doing your own research into references resources like, well, the ones you'll find simply by Googling (no, I'm not going to do your job for you.)

And as to your original contention, just what makes you think that only a DSLR is any good at all at low light photography escapes me.

I'm not going to tell you which non-DSLR cameras are almost as good and perfect for your purpose (but here's a clue: Panasonic Lumix) so would again advise you to Google for "good low light performance" or similar.

Finally, price. Nobody can help you with that. Either you can afford what you want or you can't, and so have to save up like everyone else on here.

Collapse -
What is "good?"
by PistonCupChampion / October 8, 2010 6:21 PM PDT

Obviously, which types of cameras that can do well in low light can be subjective without objective measurement. For many people, a point and shoot camera is good enough, because they will never view their photos in full size, instead only printing 4 x 6, or viewing on a computer monitor. But the OP has said she wanted a camera that is fast, and can take pics at concerts, parties, and at night. That can be tough if not impossible for a point and shoot. The small sensor, the dim lens, the slow performance all work against getting a good photo. Can you get good photos from a P&S in low light situations? Yes, but there's a lot more luck own experience is that I am disappointed far more often than not.

A DSLR doesn't automatically guarantee good results in tougher conditions, but because they have bigger imaging sensors, can accept brighter lenses, and are generally much faster performing cameras, the odds of producing better quality photos goes up quite a bit.

Collapse -
Budget camera
by flguy48tc / October 8, 2010 10:20 PM PDT

you looked at the kodak z915 and so did i.i like this camera, for the price you cant beat it.i might even buy this camera myself.i think you should take a second look at this kodak camera.tiger direct 119 plus s&h and tax= 134.06 total.good luck in your search

Collapse -
Yea I figured I
by livinchillinLOVE / October 9, 2010 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Budget camera

But i also wanted a camera with a viewfinder. List of wants that I cant just put in google
Good in low light
Good with fast action. Not like speedy mclightning but good enough to catch a drummer with out blurs. I dont want the people i taking pictures of to have to wait 2 minutes to take a picture while a party or concert is going on. If the z915 can do so they im up for it and I don't care about the viewfinder.

I know I am being very wishful and difficult but I am sort of a failed perfectionist. So I want something to atleast turn out great. Am I wrong for being that way? I don't want a point and shoot really but IF it is amazingly great I will get it. But i want the feel of a DSLR I want some automatic and some manual options. Want want want. I want all of that. thanks for listening.

Collapse -
Drummer without blurring
by PistonCupChampion / October 9, 2010 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Yea I figured I

The only way to get that is with more shutter speed. In low light, to get more shutter speed, you need a camera with lens that can allow in more light, and a sensor with bigger (not more) pixels. The Z915 is good for daylight snapshots, but it will fail in trying to capture what you want.

Collapse -
You'll Have to Go Used at That Price
by Flatworm / October 9, 2010 1:51 AM PDT

You may be able to get something like an old Nikon D40 or D50 (6MP) body only for $220 or less, and if you get lucky and are willing to tolerate a few dings you might even get the originally supplied kit lens, a 35-70 mm zoom. You'll be WAY better off, however, spending about twice as much and getting a modern micro 4/3rds from one of the usual suspects (Panasonic, Olympus, Sony, etc.).

Collapse -
by wwwpdx / October 9, 2010 2:05 AM PDT

Take a good look at the Fuji S1800 and S2500. I am not a pro photog and I bought one as a gift. After the 'giftee' and I used it a bit I bought one for myself. I bought it on the web for $150.00 or so.
Check it out before you buy another.

Collapse -
by wwwpdx / October 9, 2010 6:27 AM PDT

Be very careful buying "used". Buy only from a reputable dealer or where you have some recourse if it's not up to par.

Collapse -
Not buying in store
by livinchillinLOVE / October 9, 2010 12:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Used?

In stores everything is more expensive (obviously).

Collapse -
micro 4/3?
by porsche10x / October 10, 2010 3:50 AM PDT

You might want to consider a "micro four-thirds" type camera. They have many of the advantages of DSLRs like large sensors, good low-light performance, fast shutter response, interchangeable lenses, but they do not have the moving mirror system of an SLR type camera which means no "true" through-the-lens viewing. They're smaller and generally cheaper than DSLRs, but not as small or as cheap as a point and shoot and nowhere near the ~$200 price point you're looking for.

Collapse -
I have decided to keep researching
by livinchillinLOVE / October 10, 2010 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: micro 4/3?

I have decided to keep researching and save my money as I go. Then buy the most awesome and amazing camera under 500 dollars EVER! Thanks for the help!

Collapse -
Any more tips
by livinchillinLOVE / October 11, 2010 9:18 AM PDT

Any more tips and pieces of advice would be greatly appreciated. I am saving up for a Micro 4/3rds camera like the Panasonic Lumix G10. Not bad? What do you think?

Collapse -
micro 4/3
by hjfok / October 11, 2010 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Any more tips

These EVL cameras are not cheaper than entry level D-SLR and its photo performance is still lagging behind, especially for low light and actions. There are also not as many lens choice available, so may cost you more on lenses. The only 2 reasons to consider them are:
1. You really need to have a smaller camera with performance better than a PS. But it is not small enough to fit in any pocket, especially if you put on a lens.
2. You like to do camera HD movies. It has better contrast AF in movie mode than D-SLR. But for photo AF, the D-SLR is still better and faster, especially for action shots. In terms of HD movies, the HD camcorder is still better than the micro 4/3 or D-SLR in terms of overall performance.

If you want photo performance, then consider D-SLR. If you care more about fashion and want something smaller and more hip, then consider the micro 4/3.

Collapse -
Back to Cannon & Nikon?
by livinchillinLOVE / October 11, 2010 10:32 AM PDT
In reply to: micro 4/3

Low light & fast action are my main concern. Shutter lag a little bit too.. whatever fits that and is under 599. im cool with. Thanks everyone. So no Lumix G10? I was warming up to it alot. And yes I want to make short clips. 10 minutes at the most. I found the perfect tripod but need a camera to sit right ontop of it. Didnt buy it yet but waiting patiently.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?