Desktops forum

General discussion

Need a < $500 computer for mom

Can anyone recommend a good desktop for my mother who will probably only use it to check email, surf web and download lots of pics from her camara? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need a < $500 computer for mom
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need a < $500 computer for mom
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PC for Mom..go LapTOP..

In reply to: Need a < $500 computer for mom

A LapTop is perfect except you won't find one below $$700.00..
I like the ACER design..
You can't do DVD-movies on a LapTop..but JPGS/yes..on CD..
..a good DeskTop..
DELL is really pretty good..but from your POST I would suggest you don't get a B110/1100 series..take it a step higher..
I think DELL has a $$450.00 model..
Then I saw a LENOVO today at C/Net..for $$758.00..a great machine..
I think its way past just a Start-Up PC..CPU like 3.06..512MB's RAM..seems to have a CD-ROM only..but the USB 2.0 should handle an external DVD-Combo Burner drive..
DELL and LENOVO seem to have my attention.

Collapse -
He's not looking for a laptop...

In reply to: PC for Mom..go LapTOP..

Collapse -
laptop is a great alternative

In reply to: PC for Mom..go LapTOP..

i always recommend laptops for seniors because of their size and simplicity. even cheap laptops are plenty quick for casual use and a $40 wireless keyboard/mouse make them easy to use.

best buy has a toshiba for $400 this weekend. and if they have problems, they can just walk it back to the store.

Collapse -
Get a refurbished Mac Mini

In reply to: Need a < $500 computer for mom

Seriously your mom will love you for getting a Mac for her. They are super easy to use, fast and don't give you viruses, problems like Windows. A Mac Mini will be also be quite cheap especially when you get a refurbished one. The new Intel Macs can run Windows so no probs if she NEEDS Windows. By the way once she uses Mac, she won't want to even look at Windows. You can easily find many alternates to lots and lots of Windows programs. In short:

No viruses
Very fast
Very stable (NO crashes or very rare)
Very Very User-friendly
Can now run Windows
Can do lots of productive things out of the box
Small in size(Only 6.5 by 6.5 inches)
Cheap

Collapse -
I agree

In reply to: Get a refurbished Mac Mini

Get her a Mac, they are a lot easier for the older folks!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.