Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

need 2 edit/convert some digicam videos...

by pianoplayer88key / June 7, 2007 3:24 PM PDT

Ok, I shot some videos with a Canon S1 IS (MJPEG, 640x480, 30fps). I'd like to do some editing with them. I have VirtualDub, but I'm not sure if it's the right program for me to use.

First things first:
1. I can't afford to spend ANYTHING for the software.
1. I'm doing this on my parents' computer, and I don't have admin access (only "Power User" on Windows 2000 Pro).
1. It's not all that snappy of a PC by today's standards - 1.4GHz Athlon CPU, 256MB RAM, GeForce MX400, 5GB free HD space (although I might be able to free up a few GB if necessary.)
1. I really would like to have a finished DVD (and a few copies burned to DVD) ready by 7:30am PDT Sunday Morning, and I am NOT planning to stay up all night the next 3 nights doing it. I should have some time during the day to work with it, though.
(note, I #'d those all "1" instead of "1,2,3..." cause they're all of equal importance.)

Ok, most of the editing I want to do is:
#- trim some frames off the beginning and end of most of the videos
#- substitute a different audio track in place of the one the camera recorded.
#- (there are a few videos where I started recording a split second late (for the audio). For these): fade in a "still" shot till the audio (that I do have separately recorded and have full data for, except a few videos where the separate audio didn't record at all so I have to use the video's built-in audio track) is synchronized
#- convert the videos to the proper format for burning onto a DVD. I know it's 720x480 resolution, but beyond that what else do I need to know? Is it 30fps, MPEG-2? (Also, the originals are 640x480, and I need 720x480. Since I need to keep the perspective the same as the original, should I letterbox the videos, and if so, how do I do that?)
(btw, each separate video from the camera would be a separate chapter on the DVD.)

BTW, for burning the actual DVDs, I will be using Nero Express. It wants .IFO, .VOB, or .BUP files.

I was just now working with the first (of about 40 or so) video. (I'm using VirtualDub & GoldWave (a nagware unregistered version).) I trimmed the video, then found out how far into the video the music started (in this particular case, 200ms.) I then edited the audio file and trimmed off the beginning so the music started 200ms into the file. When I went to import the audio track into VirtualDub, it started about 1.2 seconds into the audio file, so the audio/video are going to be unacceptably out of sync. How would I fix this? I thought I had everything calculated properly, but it seems to be acting like... (umm.. I don't think I'm allowed to say those things on here....) (edit #1 - I think I figured out part of the audio sync problem, but I'm not sure...)

Ok, so I just now went to save one uncompressed .AVI (about 2:25 in length), and the resulting file is only 10kb ?!?!?

Ok, so what the **************** do I need to do to get this working properly???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need 2 edit/convert some digicam videos...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need 2 edit/convert some digicam videos...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
still having some problems....
by pianoplayer88key / June 18, 2007 2:12 PM PDT

Ok, I figured out (using VirtualDub 1.6.19 (the version I happen to have)) how to save an uncompressed AVI file of one of the clips I want to do the work with. I also got the audio (from another file) synchronized with the video, and got the video clip trimmed.
So, now that I have a ~3.9GB AVI file (2:26.599, 30fps, 640x480, audio is 32kHz 16-bit stereo), I need to compress them. (Due to tight hard disk space (I only have 24GB free now), I only have 1 uncompressed, processed AVI saved, out of about 39 of them. All are the same quality, ranging from 1 to 6 minutes in length, with a total run time of about an hour and 50 minutes or so.

I tried using a program I downloaded (AutoGK) plus the XviD codec, but apparently I don't have it set up properly. It did some processing, but I got an error when trying to convert it. Also I don't really know what I'm doing with converting it.

In my installation of VirtualDub, the codecs available for video compression are: uncompressed, Cinepak Codec by Radius, Indeo Video 5.10, Intel 4:2:0 Video V2.50, Intel Indeo Video R3.2, M$ H.261, M$ H.263, M$ RLE, M$ Video 1, WMV9 (which, when I click the configure button, tells me it's not installed), and TechSmith Screen Capture codec. No trace of XviD, DivX, MPEG2, MPEG4, MJPEG (FYI that's the codec my Canon S1 IS (which I recorded the videos with) uses), H.264, etc. What do I need to do to fix this?

As far as the audio track goes, I trimmed a certain amount off the beginning of the video clip, then did the same thing with the audio track I was going to insert in there (using an audio editor like Audacity.) Since I made sure the time from start of file to start of audio was the same in both cases, why did I have to program in a 1133ms audio delay in VirtualDub when I went in to substitute the custom audio track? (FYI the audio from both was basically the same audio, just recorded from different sources. The one I'm putting in the edited videos is a better quality recording than the one directly off the digital camera I recorded the video from.)

VERY IMPORTANT: I do NOT have administrator/root priveleges on the computer I am doing this work on. I WAS able to install VirtualDub because of the way it was packaged, but I couldn't install a couple other programs & other things I was going to try. (FYI: I am a "Power User" on Windows 2000 Pro SP4.)

Also, I need to get the VOB (or whatever) files for burning a DVD, but I can't find a program to do that.

What free things are out there that I could use to do this? I will not be making money on the videos I'm working on editing, and I would like to break even as far as my costs go. I will already be taking a little bit of a loss just taking into account the cost of the physical media I will be recording onto.

Oh, and while I'm at it, I'm new to DVD authoring, as you probably can tell. How would I put subtitles on there? I have some pretty good idea of what I want, but does anyone have suggestions / links to tutorials / etc?

Collapse -
Ok, let's fix that admin issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2007 2:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
forgetting admin password isn't so much the problem....
by pianoplayer88key / June 18, 2007 6:15 PM PDT it is my parents' computer (I don't have my own, yet) and they haven't given me the admin pass.
So, I need to be able to do what I need to do without having to log in as admin.
And, I figured out just fine how to trim and deal with the audio using VDub and Audacity.
My current problem, however, is getting the videos saved to a compressed format. I currently have one saved uncompressed (about 4GB at 2 and a half minutes.) Compressed formats I would consider using are MJPEG (that's what the originals were), MPEG2 (so I can get them ready to put on a DVD), MPEG4, DivX, XviD, and if anyone can suggest another relatively easy to use (but also with advanced options, like LAME MP3 for audio) FREE one that doesn't require admin access to install (and that isn't some obscure unknown format that only a few techno-geeks even know about), I'd consider using that.

Collapse -
if you're able...
by Jamfan55 / June 28, 2007 5:20 AM PDT capture AVI files, i would assume you have a miniDV cam. (i'm just on dial-up, and don't have the time to look up your model)
Can you tranfer your edited video back into the cam? if so, then you might either tranfer your video into a cheapo DVD recorder, or link your cam to another cam that has a base station that burns DVDs
Got any friends with camcorders ?

Oh, and forget about mpeg 4, unless there's no choice; really low quality. stick with mpeg 2 or 1 if you can.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?