HolidayBuyer's Guide

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

NBC / Universal stops selling programs on Itunes, NO BSG

by nutjob / August 31, 2007 5:18 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NBC / Universal stops selling programs on Itunes, NO BSG
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NBC / Universal stops selling programs on Itunes, NO BSG
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No Stargate ether...
by russiancatfood / August 31, 2007 6:54 AM PDT

I was just thinking about the same thing! At first my thoughts were "boooo-hoo, who cares?", but then I realized that BSG and Stargate will be gone too.

I'm so sad now. Like, actually depressed.

Collapse -
Like stupid little monkees beating their chests
by minimalist / August 31, 2007 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: No Stargate ether...

I believe this kind of grandstanding goes for "negotiations" these days.

First NBC/Universal says they weren't renewing their contracts (as they did with music) obviously trying to flex their muscles with Apple. Then Apple puffs out its chest and says "ok, so we well we will just stop selling your shows altogether").

The most recent report about this mess claims that Universal wanted to charge 4.99 an episode and Apple would not do it. (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/08/31itunes.html)

But where are they going to sell their TV's shows that has anywhere NEAR the volume of iTunes (and at that price)? And Apple needs as much content there as possible to get people to want to buy Apple TV's and iPods.

My guess is that this will all be glossed over with some "new agreement" that allows both companies to save face and the pricing will stay right where it is.

Collapse -
Keep in mind . . .
by Ron-Mexico / August 31, 2007 12:27 PM PDT

That's Apple's side/spin on the story.

I have no doubts NBC wants more money, but I wouldn't exactly take Apple's world during the middle of all this at face value either. That statement is reminiscent of the periodic fights between satellite/cable providers and content providers whenever a content company pulls its feed during the middle of a contract renegotiation. You get those messages from your satellite company on the blacked out channel with things like 'Viacom has blocked this channel because of their demand for a rate increase. We at Blah Blah Satellite Network are fighting for you. They're definitely fighting. But I'm not naive enough to think it's just for us.

Collapse -
NBC has been silent though...
by minimalist / September 1, 2007 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Keep in mind . . .

"That's Apple's side/spin on the story."

Tis true. But NBC isn't denying the Apple press release either. And NBC's initial reasoning for not extending their contract was a pretty blatant piece of spin as well ("piracy concerns" from shows sold on iTunes? uh yeah...sure).

"They're definitely fighting. But I'm not naive enough to think it's just for us."

Of course not. Apple makes the whole iTunes ecosystem desirable by making it dead simple and easy to understand... and that simplicity extends to pricing. They is certainly no altruism here. Our interests as consumers just happen to align with them in this case.

Collapse -
NBC Has Some Cool Shows
by abyrd2000 / August 31, 2007 6:22 PM PDT
In reply to: No Stargate ether...

I'm an U.S.'er currently living in Tokyo and iTunes is the only 'legal' way I'm able to get current episodes of 'Heroes,' 'The Office,' and 'Law & Order:SVU.' So I hope this is only negotiation strategy and both sides come to their senses.

Collapse -
NBC / Universal stops selling programs on Itunes, NO BSG
by wizkids32 / August 31, 2007 7:20 AM PDT

That is sad but really if they are so stupid that they want to shoot themselves in the foot then who are we to stop them since they will find out when there show TANK for this season because they aren't on iTunes I say good riddance because I don't download show from them at all but if they and Universal are so STUPID that they don't realize how good iTunes is for them then they will learn the hard way.

Collapse -
A little perspective please
by Ron-Mexico / August 31, 2007 12:19 PM PDT

The shows themselves will not tank just because they're not on Itunes. Itunes (and LEGAL digital downloads as a whole) currently represent only a very small segment of their overall viewership and income. Some shows (BSG, Heroes and the Office most notably) obviously have a stronger online following than others.

Collapse -
People want online video
by Nicholas Buenk / August 31, 2007 1:48 PM PDT

And cutting themselves off from the most popular service is only going to encourage people towards the pirate bay.

Collapse -
Maybe
by Ron-Mexico / September 1, 2007 1:54 PM PDT

What scares me though is what seems to be a very common attitude judging by a lot of the comments I've read all over the web in the wake of all this - if something's not on Itunes then piracy is the only other choice. That sounds like something AOL and Compuserve execs would've loved us to think back in 1995.

Not everyone thinks that way of course, but apparently a LOT of people seem to have that attitude. And it's yet another reason we need to see a major competitor to Itunes (on the storefront-end) emerge. But it's extremely tough for a viable competitor to emerge due to all the hurdles of DRM. A lot of people don't want to sync their media collection with multiple sources (even though they have no problem juggling multiple social networks, IM/email accounts, etc.) So instead of being able to shop around from multiple sources to get a wider range of content at various price levels they just go with the biggest service. Itunes is great because it's an all-inclusive experience. But I'd love to be able to have more freedom to use a wider range of sources and then catalog/sync them with whatever media manager I choose.

Collapse -
It probably is if you have an ipod
by Nicholas Buenk / September 1, 2007 4:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Maybe

If it's not itunes it's probably windows DRM.
Which happens to not work on ipods. Wink

Collapse -
Yea, if
by RTourn / September 1, 2007 4:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Maybe

Completion is a great thing, if its DRM free. I don?t want to buy a new player just to carry an episode of Heroes. I agree with the iTunes pricing structure. There were 23 episode in the first season, at $2 an episode that?s 46 dollars. Now at $4 that?s $92! They may (hopefully) give you a choice to buy a season pass. What wrong with the idea of buying half a season for half the price?

Collapse -
Here's what I don't get...
by russiancatfood / September 1, 2007 5:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Yea, if

So say they change $4 per episode. As the previous post said that's almost $100 per season. Heroes is available on Amazon for $69.95, IN HIGH DEFINITION! That's the box set, all the extras and the goodies. NBC hopefully gets $20 of that money after everybody up the chain gets paid (from people who manufacture the HD DVDs to Amazon).

I just simply do not get the logic in their little brains. Maybe I'm missing something, maybe I don't know anything about making money, but who is the lunatic that convinced the board of directors at NBS this was a good idea. "Let's pull out of the largest online media store and gamble with our online presence."

Collapse -
Forced to say "ARRRRRG"?
by stillakid67 / August 31, 2007 8:17 AM PDT

Nothing like the NBC to shift people to Pirate Bay! $4.99 of 0 sales =0 Sad

Collapse -
Tell NBC
by RTourn / September 1, 2007 3:18 AM PDT

I'm not sure what good it will do, but it doesn't hurt.

Collapse -
Almost forgot
by RTourn / September 1, 2007 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell NBC
Collapse -
Raising prices and moving to a less popular location
by Nicholas Buenk / August 31, 2007 1:46 PM PDT

Is sure to defeat the pirate bay, congrats to NBC for their master plan to compete with piracy! Now people using the pirate bay will feel sad that they aren't able to donate $5 to the NBC for each single episode that you could get on digital tv for free!

Collapse -
they are shooting themselves in the foot
by marigb / September 1, 2007 1:13 AM PDT

I am a fair believer that one of the shows had a continued life span because of only iTUnes (the office). I'm a master's student who just cant afford 5$ per episode ( last season it was what around 20 something shows times $5 =$100 aprox. compared to the $35 for the season pass on Itunes)
I will not be buying the shows ( I was also planning to get Heroes) but just teach my mom back home how to use her dvr to record those shows and ff through the comercials... and then when I go home every 3 months.. I can sit and watch ( at my mom's room which is not comfy) the shows ....by then it will be old news what happens in them so, its most likely that I will loose interest and look for shows that Itunes has to offer

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.