The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

NBC Nightly News podcast partly why I quit BOL...

by ddubb / November 20, 2006 4:11 PM PST

...for a while, but I'm back as a BOL listener.

I was a loyal BOL fan for a few months, rarely if ever missed a show. But I kept adding more podcasts into my line up and the field got a bit crowded. On balance I was moving away from lighter stuff and increasing hard news and serious political talk. Jim Lehrer Newshour, Meet the Press, NPR, BBC, C-Span, PBS, AsiaCast, etc.

Then, one by one, I added in all three big networks' nightly news shows: NBC Nightly News, ABC's Nightline and CBS Evening News as well as each of their weekend panel discussions. With the daily mega-news blitz and Monday's pile-up of weekend shows I started falling behind on the "lighter" stuff.

I bring this up as a comment to Tom's and Molly's comments about NBC Nightly News. OK, so I am in the over 40 crowd (by just a couple years) but I've gone decades without ever, ever ever watching those network nightly news shows. But now that they're available as a podcast, I was giving them a chance... and eventually, they even beat out a slew of podcast-only competitors (Slate, BOL, Planet Japan, etc, etc). Sorry, BOL, but you were benched!

But my gray matter can only handle just so much serious matter and I had to cut back on too much news. It was just a little bit of overkill. Besides, those shows are worse than useless, absolutely terrible. I'm glad I got out before Katie Couric started, and Bob Schiffer needs to come out of his coma just long enough to realize he died during the Ford administration.

Anyways, I do consider myself to be part of the "podcast crowd." Also, I'm definitely NOT part of the "NBC Nightly News crowd." And yet, at least for a while, I was hearing NBC N.N. everyday.

If the "podcast crowd" is not already doing this, they need to start realizing that much of their favorite "traditional" content (radio, TV, newspapers and magazines) either make available current content or produce podcast versions of their content.

Business Week magazine, Wall Street Journal, NY Times each have multiple podcasts. NPR's website as an amazing number of podcasts. I believe all of Air America is available as a podcast. Which is a good thing since they're not doing so hot financially. And when your network is replaced by full time coverage of local highschool and college sports (as happened to Air America in Madison WI) its probably a good idea to keep the podcast option open.

Fox News Channel is among the last to come on board with making any large part of their programming available as podcasts. Good thing for right-wingers there's Townhall.com with a handful of traditional radio political talk shows (Bill Bennet/Michael Medved, etc) available as podcasts.

I'm not sure I get the attitude that its a bit pathetic or seemingly desperate for any existing show to offer any content as a podcast. So is it "cool" for "cool" shows to be podcast (Lost, Grey's Anatomy, etc) and "uncool" for shows not popular with the "podcast crowd"? Do some people come to podcasting with certain attitudes or expectations? Like seeing podcasting as a grass roots "alternative" to the existing monolith of traditional media?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NBC Nightly News podcast partly why I quit BOL...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NBC Nightly News podcast partly why I quit BOL...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I learned about NBC NN on BOL as well
by ozyman4269 / November 20, 2006 4:26 PM PST

I'm giving it a shot although i think the DL is huge at 80megs.
maybe some editing of the program might help (Like doing the show line up at the beginning and then cutting out the "coming up next on our program" segments before the commercial break)

Any how i just dont' seem to get around to it that often and when i do watch it's usualy about 2 days old news. (just getting around to it and I live in Asia where it's already tomorrow... hows that for messing with your head)
Anyway i think it's neat to give it a chance and I'm certainly not ever gonna leave BOL. I think it's one of the coolest shows around.
The only thing that could be cooler would be if Comedy central gave The Daily Show away for free. I know it's on ITunes now, but I'd prefer it for free with commercial support.

Wish it so Molly! Use your psyonic abilities of wish-dom to benefit all mankind with out Comedy Central on their cable.

Collapse -
I prefer RSS text feeds for general news
by Owyn / November 20, 2006 8:11 PM PST

I subscribe to text news feeds from CBC, BBC and CNN. I can quickly burn through the list of news articles, with frequently different perspectives on the same item, and immediate links for more info as desired. All of these news sites provide a lot of drill down and background links. Usually as sidebars to the main articles. CNN is usually the best source of online video related to a story.

I also subscribe to several weekend summary and commentary podcasts. e.g. NPR's On The Media. Find these a good way to catch up on events that I have brushed past during the week. I noticed that I frequently pause and replay articles from these casts. I just don't give the same attention to audio that I do to text, so, it takes me a bit to react to what has been said. Nothing wrong with that. It is one of the reasons that I prefer podcasts to live broadcasts.

Beyond that, most of my ear time goes to music and general interest, e.g. 60 Second Science, Today in History, Today in Music History, ...

When I am working, I typically listen to music or music podcasts. Just don't have the attention available to listen to anything else but still want background audio.

And of course, I still listen to BOL. Most of the time I have already run into the stories, but, I still like to hear TMV's take on the news.

Collapse -
too much info
by nickswim / November 20, 2006 10:45 PM PST

i can't think that was a long post... hold on.. i need my eyes to readjust.. LOL.. JK

i understand where you are coming from.. holla

--Nick Schmidt

Collapse -
The ancient over-40 crowd
by John Callahan / November 21, 2006 12:38 AM PST

I think it's a little sad that such absurd assumptions are made about who listens to what over 40.
Tom makes it sound like we sit in front of the old tube TV with the volume all the way up watching
the evening news because what - we are too dumb to get our news and podcasts like the young really kewl kids do?
Give me a break - and look around. You'll see that iPods and technology in general doesn't suffer from age bigotry - only people do.

Collapse -
Ow
by John Callahan / November 21, 2006 2:05 AM PST

Right after I posted that my hearing aid fell out and when I bent down to pick it up I tripped over my walker and fell down the stairs. Luckily my denture adhesive held and my false teeth did NOT fly out. For once.

So, until I heal - if 40 year olds even can heal - I will now enjoy BOL in my new mobility electric scooter. Hooray!

Collapse -
Now come on
by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / November 21, 2006 7:29 AM PST

Hey now,

I was implying nothing of the sort. I only meant that that the 18-34 demo does not, in general, watch the news. It's statistics people, it's not personal. The audience for nightly news tends to bean older crowd. I'm not making any accusations about you or anyone as a person.

Also I was far from implying that old people don't get technology and only watch TV. Far from it. I was only pointing to the fact that the younger crowd does not tend in general to watch news on the networks, and therefore this would open a market to them.

Thanks for listening all the same and for the thought-provoking posting.

Cheers,

Tom

Collapse -
Ok Tom!
by John Callahan / November 21, 2006 8:37 AM PST
In reply to: Now come on

I apologize Tom - I went a little overboard and I realize you were basing it on demographics and not a personal or age-bias thing.

I do see a lot of wrong assumptions about age and technology both young and old and I am not a huge fan of demographics but Erik Estrada sells kuxury Florida swamp real estate at 4 AM for a reason I guess Happy
(I don't know what it is though??)

Great podcast - I will listen as long as I have my hearing left!

Collapse -
Mid-20's people watch NBC news too!
by LifeStar / November 21, 2006 3:22 AM PST

I heard the original comment by Tom & Molly and I sorta understand why. GENERALLY, people in my age demographic don't watch the 6 o'clock news normally. I'm not one of them, but that's because I got into them while I was in college and usually ate dinner with my mom as we watched the local and then the national news. The stories were generally good, and my mom got the added benefit that I could do a "translation" of the story if she didn't quite understand it.

I did subscribe to the vodcast of NBC news, but have only watched one episode so far, and it was one I saw on the TV earlier! It's nice to have around, but since it's video, it means I would be compelled to 'watch' it and that's not always the case. Until then, BOL will still be my #1 tech news poscast.

Collapse -
Passing the halfway point...
by creativecaptions / November 21, 2006 5:23 AM PST

I've just crossed the halfway point between 40 and 50. I have lots of friends in my age group that own iPods also. Few if any of us watch the news on the tube except maybe to catch the weather on occassion... that's what computers are for!! We use our iPods for Podcasts, Books, some music and to watch videos while "waiting" for things or on the go. Mine has replaced the radio in my car and accompanies me to work each day and to the gym each night. I'm currently catching up on all the Michael Connelly novels...

I was having my regular maintenance done on my Honda a few weeks back, finished the book I was listening when I pulled in, so I thought I'd watch "Triumph of the Nerds" again, which I just had put on my iPod from the old VHS tapes I had laying around. When I stood up to leave a young girl asked me I was watching, she thought it looked like something she was working on for school. I told her what it was and that she could get it at the library. I cringe when I hear an iPod is only good for kids stealing music...

Dennis O.

Collapse -
(NT) I'll wait for your cliff notes to come out.
by csliva11 / November 21, 2006 6:23 AM PST
Collapse -
that's OK, I asked for it!
by ddubb / November 21, 2006 4:57 PM PST

I know it was a bit wordy but I was trying to say a lot in a little space. I myself wasn't too put off by the original age related commnets. I think Tom is right about which age demographics watch which shows.

My main point I wanted to get across was that any content: old-media, new-media, Web 2.1 or or whatever, even print media, are now all trying to compete with shows that started out as podcast-only (Cnet, soccergirl, TWIT, Slate, etc).

Literally, I dropped BOL for a while because I was so busy with NBC Nightly News, NY Times, Business Week, and daily liturgy and homily readings by the pastor of St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Parish in NYC.

Collapse -
All info & no 'tainment makes Jack a dull boy
by punterjoe / November 21, 2006 9:02 PM PST

I would never criticize anyone for trying to be be informed. Heaven knows, you should be some sort of role model - though I don't see that happening.
But your podcast diet seems like all dry turkey & no gravy. I'm hopeful that when you finally can't take it anymore, you reintroduce a little levity into your podcast queue. BOL is the ideal way to start. It's like those foods that don't taste healthy but are.
Also, I'm with the folks who mix their media. I'm seriously considering the Sony eBook reader for the denser fare in my daily info diet, but it's the humor in my podcasts that keep me from total despair a steady diet of 'straight' news would surely induce.

Collapse -
(NT) Amen
by Owyn / November 21, 2006 10:10 PM PST
Collapse -
Great point
by ddubb / November 22, 2006 2:29 PM PST

I do rotate through a variety of funner casts. But I haven't found any that I like so much that I stick with them or could highly recommend them as much as the ones I listed. Plus my "fun" casts are all podcast-only shows, they're not old media mainstream shows that have been made available as podcasts. Which goes with my original point that all of a sudden a whole slew of "old media" content providers began squeezing out "new media" creations.

Also, podcasts provide virtually 100% of my news. I rarely and barely scan news papers or have a TV news channel occasionally playing in the background while I do other things.

For fun I dvr a lot of Cartoon Network's Adult Swim; Spike's MXC; and other uselsess, silly fluff.

But, point well taken. Gotta balance out your life with learning and fun. That's why I got back into BOL.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?