Laptops forum

General discussion

NB to send my son off to college with - Dell vs. Vaio or?

We're on our 5th Dell and have always been happy with their products (except for some glitches on a refurbished NB)and especially with their Cust. Serv . My son's about to go off to college. I've said I'll always go Dell but he disagrees.I think he wants the Vaio because it's "sexier" and because his was Dell was the refurbished NB we had issues with.

I've heard so many negatives on Sony's CS. I would like to hear feedback on Sony's support and reliability.Are there also some other good options out there?

He's ultimately the user but I hesitate to give in and buy something I feel won't serve him well.

He wants:
mid-weight desktop replacement (doesn't see himself carrying it around but.....)
large screen
some gaming but not extreme
High speed and capacity

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NB to send my son off to college with - Dell vs. Vaio or?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NB to send my son off to college with - Dell vs. Vaio or?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try the HP zv6000

In reply to: NB to send my son off to college with - Dell vs. Vaio or?

This would be a good desktop replacement system for your son. Just be sure to get him a good backpack to store it in for when he does want to take it to class and so forth. It is a little on the heavy side but any desktop replacement model will be. It has a pretty good graphics card for most games but does not do the extreme graphics games. You can custom order this model at HPshopping.com or get great deals at times from places like Office Depot. You should be able to get a good system for less than $1000. I would not recommend getting the Sony Vaio as the reviews for it have not been great and the customer service seems to not be too good. I would definitely get the Dell over the Sony but the best bang for your buck laptop out there right now in my opinion is the HP zv6000 or its twin, the Compaq R4000. Good luck on your purchase!

P.S.-For great notebook reviews check out WWW.Notebookreview.com and for more information on the zv6000 in particular go to WWW.notebookanalysis.com.

Collapse -
Sony has one of the best displays around...

In reply to: Try the HP zv6000

and has good build quality. Many folks (me included) think they are overpriced... and you can't get a really good video card or 5400 RPM HDD unless you go up to the top of the line...very expensive.

I'm a HP user as well, but I'd spend a little more and go for a Dv4000 which is a pound lighter than the 6000 and has a much better video card... but, this is all personal and depends on your/your son's priorities. Try going to the link I paste below, fill out the form (if you want quality responses, be specific) and post it as a message in the Hardware forum; you will get feedback.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=29271

Collapse -
And you get their DRM rootkit preinstalled for Free!

In reply to: Sony has one of the best displays around...

I'll never buy a Sony product again!

I doubt the original poster is even reading this thread any longer; however, on the outside chance he is...

I'll always recommend a Thinkpad because they are the best built laptops, period. I know your son will hate the classic black ones, so get one of the new Z60's with a titanium cover. They are widescreen, have discrete graphics cards, wireless and they come with the best support and service in the business.

My favorite on the lenovo website:
ThinkPad Z60m
2529EFU
New!
$1,699.00*

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
512 MB
60 GB
Titanium
Intel

Collapse -
you may want to do with dell

sony notebooks are a very big money.your paying for the name sony when it comes right down to it.ive owned 2 of them with a very lack luster proformance.hardware issues as well as the customer support being less then average.also on the sony S360 i had bought and took back in a week there were issues with heat,fan noise also with driver,s through windows update.they would not upload.compusa tried to download them on the display model with no luck.Acer/dell/toshiba/IBM/apple mac are a better choice.
good luck & God bless

Collapse -
My Sony Vaio is great

I'm surprised to see all the negative comments on Sony. I don't hang out here much, in fact I'm here looking for a solution for a Gateway notebook problem, LOL. But anyhou, I have a Vaio M-series at home. I don't remember exactly what model, but its almost exactly a year old and was 2nd-to-top-of-the-line at the time I bought it. I've dealt with support once when I couldn't get it to burn a DVD. They were helpful, told me to try a different brand/speed of blank disk (gave me their "approved list"), and that worked. I haven't had any other problems with it, and it performs SO much better than other notebooks I've used here at work. I use it almost every day at home. Graphics are fantastic, its rigged for editing video and burning to DVDs. I haven't tried gaming, I have a desktop for that.

As for the price, the asking price *was* a bit steep, but Best Buy had a good rebate on it, and also Sony had a good rebate on it. It ended up costing about $1200 including the Best Buy 3 year extended warranty.

From my work experience (I'm the Network Admin for a small business) I'd avoid Compaqs and Gateways. We've had a lot of problems with those. Serious performance issues with the Compaq Presarios, as well as hardware failures. Gateways performance is ok, but have several hardware failures.

Collapse -
Most consumers like Vaio machines...

In reply to: My Sony Vaio is great

They have great screens and the build quality is reported to be very good. The down side is on most models they use 4200 RMP drives , only lackluster GPU's RAM upgrades are expensive and they generally cost a lot for the proformane they provide. The new BX model (on the Sony B2B site) looks very sweet however.

Collapse -
tell your son

let me get 1 thing strait, sony isn't a good brand, yes they do look sexier, but do you want a laptop that will break after several months of use?!?!?! And if he want's a desktop replacement you should get the inspiron 9300(I own one and it kicks ***)(Sorry about the swear word). But you should be aware that dell has pretty bad customer service( but still better that sony ). Over all your opinion is right, sony isn't really ideal.

Collapse -
dell,s the call

sony has a pretty screen and has had the lead in the notebook market for provideing it to it,s customers for many years.sony also has had a rootkit so they can spy on us taking are info to make more money.here is the call....pretty screen,bad customer support,of course the rootkit to take info that agenst the law.for the sony users it really sheds some light on why some of the MS security updates would not download.Dell is the much more stable call f,sure
Good luck & God bless

Collapse -
If customer support is your big issue...

IBM or Apple is the way to go. Both Sony and Dell get bad raps on customer support... but then, so does everybody except IBM and Apple. I have an HP which also has bad tech supportratings in consumer surveys, but you can't prove it by me as I've had nothing but the best experiences with support. If all you're willing to look at is Sony and Dell, that's a tough call. Sony has better build quality and a better screen. Dell has better GPUs, faster HDDs and better prices. Have you looked at Fujitsu? GREAT machines.

Collapse -
Ibm or apple

In reply to: If customer support is your big issue...

my proublem is next year im split between them both.im buying one or the either.they do seem to have the best stuff out right now togus.Apple with intel hmmmm im loving it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.