Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

NAV Auto-protect not working!

by a5a22406 / February 23, 2005 1:29 PM PST

This past weekend when starting up my computer a message on a red background came up saying, "NAV auto-protect unable to initialize the virus scanning engine database files."
All the other applications from my Norton 2003 are runnning fine except this one. I've tried everything I can think of to get this operational. Do I need to re-install the anti-virus software?

Thanks all.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
What is your Operating System?
by Donna Buenaventura / February 23, 2005 4:25 PM PST
Collapse -
similar issue
by marley1 / March 4, 2005 7:18 AM PST

Donna,

I'm having a similar issue with NAV Auto-Protect. when I boot up my laptop, Win98 tries to load but i get a large red message box titles NAV Auto-Protect that reads, "Unable to determine the location of the configuration files." When I hit enter I go to a black screen with a blinking cursor and that's it. I also tried to boot up in safe mode.... I make it to the blank safe mode desktop but immediately get an ileegal Operation box that indicates Explorer has caused an invalid page fault in explorer.exe.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this so i can reboot my machine? Thanks much.

Marley1

Collapse -
"Norton 2003" Reports are appearing ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2005 7:25 AM PST

It appears that Symantec may be pulling the plug on this 2 year old version.

Could that be it?

"One specific issue that seems to have been driving this recent wave of complaints is Symantec's policy of sunsetting support for the 2003 version of Norton products when the 2005 version is released. "I purchased NAV 2003 just over a year ago," wrote one reader. "Last month I paid for another year's subscription to the Live Update service, but NAV is refusing to download any new virus definitions. It keeps telling me I have to renew my subscription, even though I have done so. I wrote Symantec asking for help, and all they told me is that support for NAV 2003 has been discontinued ... It's disgusting. I have an up-to-date subscription and a version of the software that I've had only a year. How can they refuse to help me?""

-> http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2004/12/6/8182/06280 and other sites.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!