Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

NAV 2002 "Connection Refused"

by tjzz / May 29, 2004 12:52 PM PDT

I'm working on a friends PC that has:

Windows XP Home
Norton Antivirus 2002
Netscape 6.2

Currently she is getting a notification from NAV that her virus definitions are out-of-date. The last time the virus definitions were updated was 4/21/04. According to her she has not changed anything on her system in several months.

The Norton license is up to date and expires March 2005.

Everytime Internet Explorer runs it crashes the system, this condition has been this way for over a year. Consequently she uses Netscape 6.2 instead.

When she runs Liveupdate it attempts to connect, it tries a scouple of times, but each time it fails with a message that indicates "Connection refused ..." to the liveupdate.symantec.com site.

When she tries to connect to either the liveupdate.symantec.com or www.symantec.com URLs via Netscape the same thing occurs (connection refused) and she is unable to connect via the web.

BUT,

Running the command prompt and pinging "liveupdate.symantec.com" or "www.symantec.com" she has no problem, the pings are successfull, 4 replys out of 4 sent. So the PC is able to resolve the address and reach the host.

I am unsure if this is a simple NAV problem or if it is a bigger issue. I suspect it is a bigger issue but wanted to speak with others first,

I was going to see if she could get to the TrendMicro or McAfee sites as well. And if she can, see if she can try to run the free scans to see if there are any viruses on her system.

Also, I'd get her to download spybot to see if there was anything unusual running.

Any thoughts, experiences, or help with direction would be very appreciated.

Thanks, Todd

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NAV 2002 "Connection Refused"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NAV 2002 "Connection Refused"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:NAV 2002
by Marianna Schmudlach / May 29, 2004 1:57 PM PDT

Hi Todd,

just a "thought" - does she have a HOSTS file??

Pull up your hosts file in Notepad. The hosts file will be in %System%\drivers\etc\hosts where %System% is System32 in Winnt (Win2k) or Windows (XP)

The file has no extension, so you'll have to browse for "all files" instead of .txt

Chances are the virus has overwritten this file to prevent your accessing a variety of sites. For example one current virus adds something like this:

Quote:
127.0.0.1 www.symantec.com
127.0.0.1 securityresponse.symantec.com
127.0.0.1 symantec.com
127.0.0.1 www.sophos.com
127.0.0.1 sophos.com
127.0.0.1 www.mcafee.com
127.0.0.1 mcafee.com
127.0.0.1 liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com
127.0.0.1 www.viruslist.com
127.0.0.1 viruslist.com

That essentially prevents your computer from accessing any of those sites.

Remove anything like that that you see. Unless you've modified the hosts file in the past, the only thing that should be in there is

Quote:
127.0.0.1 localhost

Remove everything except that one. Then click File | Save

Don't do save as, because that will add an extension to the file and we don't want that.

Collapse -
Re:NAV 2002
by tjzz / June 3, 2004 7:03 AM PDT

Thanks, your recommendation was correct and allowed us to update NAV. Then between NAV and Spybot we were able to clean up the system. For now it is running better.

Todd

Collapse -
(NT)Todd, You're Welcome - THANKS for your feedback !
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 3, 2004 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:NAV 2002

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?