Computer Help forum

General discussion

Nasty virus

Today, I downloaded something off the web, and right after I ran the exe, my computer immediatelly froze, so I shut it down, but then it refuses to boot up. It stops right before it gets to the login screen and show the blue screen. I tried everything I knew, safe mode don't work, and booting from last good configeration don't work either.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nasty virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nasty virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Where the .exe file come from?

In reply to: Nasty virus

(eom)

Collapse -
It's a safe site.

In reply to: Where the .exe file come from?

I download it off a safe site, I download there all the time, my guess is that it got infected with a virus some how. If you must know its a mod to a game.

Collapse -
Safe sites get hijacked all the time.

In reply to: It's a safe site.

Just my comment here. If you want to keep details to yourself, that's OK, but be aware that help will be slow to none since it's a sign.

Bob

Collapse -
What exactlly do you mean by that?

In reply to: Safe sites get hijacked all the time.

I don't exactally understand what you just said. what do you mean by its just a sign? Sorry but english isnt exactlly my native language.

So, If I can't fix the problem, can I at least buy a new hard drive or something?

Collapse -
(NT) What Bob means is

In reply to: What exactlly do you mean by that?

that your reluctance to describe software or download sites raises the suspicion that something not quite right is involved (piracy, copyright violation). People on this forum will provide no help in such operations.

Collapse -
And beyond that issue...

In reply to: (NT) What Bob means is

Let's say you note the download was "Death Blade 23" and you run "Windows ME." Somebody may recognise that these 2 items found a toxic combo and note such or a fix.

Details make all the difference and your reluctance to share detail kills the discussion.

Bob

Collapse -
Ok heres everything I know...

In reply to: And beyond that issue...

I ran windows xp, and the files I downloaded is just some text files and some 3d models, but its packed into an exe, so after I ran the exe the computer froze and it kept restarting right before it gets to the login screen. Its a compaq laptop, presario r3000 or r3200, im not exactly sure because it says r3200 in the bios and r3000 in the system information. Is that enough info?

From the looks of it theres probily no way to fix it because I can't even get inside to run sys restore or any anti virus program. So would a new hard drive fix the problem?

Collapse -
Try....

In reply to: Nasty virus

...running system Restore from the command prompt, since you seem to be able to get to the boot menu: Put in "%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" (without the quotes), then press enter. Restore to a point previous to your executing the downloaded exe. Then boot up in Normal mode, disable System Restore, run your AV, and re-enable system restore.

Collapse -
Not sure if I can.

In reply to: Try....

You mean that I can get to system restore just when the computer started? I mean it crashes even before it got to the window login screen, it shows the window xp picture, then it crashes and restarts.

Collapse -
System Restore via Command prompt...

In reply to: Not sure if I can.

You mentioned that I tried everything I knew, safe mode don't work, and booting from last good configeration don't work either - and I mentioned that it seems that you can get to the boot menu... Well, if you can get into the boot menu, you can choose ''Safe Mode with Command Prompt''.

Perhaps you meant that you were not able to get to the boot menu to use Safe Mode and Last Good Configuration ?

Collapse -
I can get to the boot menu but....

In reply to: System Restore via Command prompt...

Selecting safe mode and safe mode with commond prompt also make the computer show the blue screen and restart. If I do get a new hard drive would my computer work again?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Format the driive and reinstall the OS.

In reply to: I can get to the boot menu but....

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.