General discussion

Narrowing down choices for Digital Camera

I need help choosing a digital camera. I'm keeping my 35mm Nikon for really "serious" photograhy. I'll be using the digital mostly for snapshots, pics of the kids, horse shows, etc. But I'm still picky on quality... So I think I want at least 5 mp (I don't think I'll be making enlargements over 8x10, although I will crop photos occasionally), at least a 3x optical zoom (prefer more), point & shoot but also manual controls, quick response and ease of use (so my husband can use it too).

I've narrowed it down to these cameras within my price range (under $550):

Casio Exilim Pro EX-P600, Olympus C7000, Canon G6, Canon PS S70, Olympus C5060 or C5500. The Nikons I like I can't find in my price range.

Opinions? Suggestions? I'm finding it hard to make a choice!

Thanks,
Karen

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Narrowing down choices for Digital Camera
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Narrowing down choices for Digital Camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Selection

It is difficult to make a decision with that group of cameras.

The only thing that jumps out at me is the EX-P600 does not have any non-compressed formats. All the rest have RAW, TIFF, or Both.

Special Features:
The Canon G6 offers the brightest Lens (F2.0)
The Canon S60 and Olympus C5060 have wide angle lens (28, 27 mm).

You may have to try coin tossing.

- Collapse -
Decision?

Looking at my list, it is pretty varied. I did a side by side comparison, and found some I like a little closer in features. Canon G6, Casio EXILIM Pro EX-P700, Olympus C7000, and Fuji Finepix S7000. So far I like the Canon G6. Anyone have any experience/knowledge of these cameras? Other suggestions not on my list?

Thanks Again!

- Collapse -
Another option

You may want to check out the Sony dsc-v3.

CNET Forums

Forum Info