Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

napster download conversion

by ooitsmagic58 / April 12, 2006 6:26 PM PDT

Hi,
I paid $.99 for every song that I bought on napster
and when I tried to play them on my wma/mp3 player
it would show up but it won't play.So I thought maybe
I would convert it to an mp3 file and try to reload the songs on my player again but napster put some kind of protection on the song. Is there a way to get these songs to mp3 format because after all I did pay
for them so I fell that I should be able to manipulate
them as long as they're mine.
Can anyone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: napster download conversion
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: napster download conversion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Contact Napster...
by John.Wilkinson / April 13, 2006 4:09 PM PDT

That's DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection, which limits what you can and cannot do with the song...an anti-piracy measure. Unfortunately DRM means you cannot convert the song into another format. In addition, the circumvention of DRM is illegal according to the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) in the US and similar laws elsewhere, regardless of whether or not you purchased the music. Thus, there's little you can do here. It could be a problem on their end, but it could also be that your MP3 player is not compatible with Napster. Either way, your best bet would be to contact Napster and see if they can help you resolve the problem.

Good luck.
John

Collapse -
DRM
by ooitsmagic58 / April 14, 2006 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Contact Napster...

Thanks for the info John,
I wasn't sure what to do because
I use to copy my own cd's into my computer alot in the past ,but since I've got music downloaded on the computer it's a little different now.I'll just have to work it out with napster. I wonder if there are
other music download sites where you pay for the song but you don't have to deal with this problem?
thanks again!

Collapse -
RE: DRM
by kato01 / April 14, 2006 11:47 AM PDT
In reply to: DRM

Unfortunately, most pay sites use some sort of DRM encryption. If you are having problems using the file directly, there is a work around. However, it isn't the most efficient way to do things. You can burn the music to CD using Windows Media Player and then rip the songs back to your computer. Use the ripped files to export to your player. Those files will be unlicensed.

Collapse -
Drm
by ooitsmagic58 / April 16, 2006 5:57 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: DRM

thanks for the info spyder! I appreciate it!

Collapse -
Drm
by kato01 / April 20, 2006 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Drm

No problem...anything I can do to help.

Happy

Collapse -
get tunebite or dbpoweramp
by xandymemije / June 2, 2006 12:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Contact Napster...

I was lured into napster via the swines at xm radio saying I'd a "free 14 day trial". Immediately, they ask for your credit card number. You're basically renting the songs downloaded from napster while you are subscribing to napster, the moment the subscribtion ends, your downloaded napster songs quit working. This is just another scam in the world of scams and how to get your money out of your pocket and into the devilish pockets of the scammers. The music industry screw'd up by allowing these companys to rent the music out. As you and I know, the moment the loophole is created there are thousands of smart kids out there ready to jump thru with a solution. Enter tunebite. My advice, is to make a list of all the groups you intend to download, an extensive list. Download this program called "tunebite", 18 $. Or dbpoweramp, 14 $. Go to napster or your favorite rental service and begin your downloading frenzy. Napster downloads are very quick, you will love the speed of how fast on broadband the songs appear on your harddrive. Then run them thru tunebite to rid yourself of microsofts/riaa foolish attempt to copyright the music. Your wma's will become mp3s and you will not be charged 99 cents per track for each song you burn to cd. They are yours for life and as far as I know, its quite legal. Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.