The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Nabaztag Wireless

by sentinel23 / June 15, 2007 1:02 AM PDT

Just a few thoughts on Veronica's wireless bunny problems...

On #495 there was a caller that suggested a second, less secure router. It can actually be set up to be completely separate from your main network. You could even leave it wide open, and your WPA network would still be secure. Steve Gibson sums it up nicely on this page, and on his Security Now podcast.

As for the work network, that "I agree" page is known as a Captive Portal. If you can, talk to your IT guys and they should be able to switch it off for your Nabaztag's MAC address. That may be the only way, and a lot easier than spoofing it every time you want to connect.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nabaztag Wireless
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nabaztag Wireless
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
WEP and WPA on the same network.
by nineteenseventy9 / June 15, 2007 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Nabaztag Wireless

Odd timing. I just emailed BOL about this. The link you provided to GRC doesn't work.

The proper way to allow both WEP and WPA encryption on your network without exposing your personal equipment to hackers requires three routers in a Y configuration. I?ll try to explain this succinctly and without too much technogarble.

The reasons for the Y configuration are subnetting and firewalling. Consumer routers each have an outside address and an inside address. The outside address is your public IP ? the address visible to everyone on the internet. The inside address is a private address, and only you have access to it. Data cannot pass from the outside into the inside unless it?s explicitly allowed or requested by a computer on the inside.

The way to set this up is to connect the first router (with no wireless or wireless disabled) to the DSL or cable modem. It will act as the last gateway. Your WPA router and WEP router then plug into this first router. All the equipment that you want protected gets connected to the WPA router, and the stuff you don?t care about (Nintendo DS, etc) connect through the WEP router.

Each router must give out different private IP addresses. That way, data cannot pass from the WEP router to the WPA router. The equipment inside the WPA router is essentially invisible to the WEP router. So if someone does decide to hack your WEP encryption, all they?ll be getting is access to the internet, and not access to your equipment.

Jerad from Indiana

Reference diagram:
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/2550/5290/175509.jpg

Collapse -
RE: WEP and WPA on the same network
by sentinel23 / June 15, 2007 2:50 AM PDT

Oops, here's the correct link: http://www.grc.com/nat/nats.htm

Your method is good, but it requires 3 routers. Thanks to the 'one-way valve' nature of NAT routers, you can actually set it up with only two. It's more a of a line than a 'Y'.

That page is a bit convoluted, but it does explain it all. I can give more of an explanation later if needed.

Collapse -
Better Link
by sentinel23 / June 15, 2007 2:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
two router method...
by nineteenseventy9 / June 15, 2007 3:00 AM PDT

Actually, as I was writing the email to the BOL Crew, I thought about a two router method. But I thought of something at the time that made me think it wouldn't be as good. I can't remember what it was, but maybe it will come to me later... I've got AutoCAD deployments on my mind now...

Collapse -
Nabaztag Wireless
by wizkids32 / June 15, 2007 7:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Nabaztag Wireless

It must be an illness because Patrick Norton is also having problems with his and Roberts Nabaztag I don't think that it would be the right thing to do to spoof a MAC address but if you figure it out send the same solution to Patrick so that his Nabaztag can work too.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?