The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

N95 ..... rather have iPhone any time

by matevam / June 23, 2007 1:21 AM PDT

am in singapore ... had the sony ericsson p990i and i changed it to the N95 recently.
while i am generally happy with it, i would glading change it to iPhone any time if it does come.
secondly, it doest have a qwerty keyboard as mentioned in the podcast in episode 501.
actually i would try the sony ericsson P1 too if it does come out.

thirdly the GPS is very slow to lock in and i believe most have said that it is better to use a separate bluetooth GPS.

while i bought the phone mostly for its camera and video, and it does do a very well in video capture, i think a 2MB camera should be able to do as well if only someone implements it. the reason while i think video playback and capture is so good on the N95 is because it is one of the few phones with separate video acceleration chip built in.

i believe iphone has that too ... so keeping my finger cross ... although it would be a year before iphone reach us.

i think most people are missing the point about iphone. coming from someone who has changed phones like between 3 to 6 times a year ... the user interface of iphone does look really ahead of any phones out there. while it has some limited features as compared to a swiss knife like N95, but 80% of the time most of us use 20% of the features. so if iphone can get the 20% mostly used features super good, that would indeed make it a much better phone.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: N95 ..... rather have iPhone any time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: N95 ..... rather have iPhone any time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
good points
by scottrussell / June 23, 2007 8:54 AM PDT

Unlike "sober" Chris, I think the iPhone's feature set is pretty dang compelling. Here's a quick rundown of its major strengths & weaknesses.

Weaknesses: no 3G, no GPS, no removable battery, no expandability, 2 MP camera, no video(?)

Strengths: intuitive touch interface, traditional websurfing, large screen, long battery life, Wi-Fi & bluetooth, visual voice-mail, call merging, YouTube integration, hypertext phone numbers.

SMS, stocks, weather, email, calendar, contacts, pictures, etc are available on most other phones -- although perhaps less beautifully.

To me, the strengths outweigh the weaknesses by a mile. I've never seen a phone that works like the iPhone works -- and I'll be standing in line Friday to get mine. Happy

Collapse -
Looking for a Smart Phone
by Renegade Knight / June 25, 2007 12:15 AM PDT
In reply to: good points

The iPhone has a lot of what I'd like in a smart phone, except the Smart part. There are two key applications that I use. The data has to be able to be transfered from my PDA to a similar iPhone app. Without that...it's yet another phone that looks good but which won't let me replace my PDA.

Collapse -
N95 nice but...
by thriftyT / August 30, 2007 11:18 AM PDT

I kinda agree with Molly about the N95 being sweet, but...

$749?!!! (Some people are reporting $700)

No QWERTY keyboard. Not even a lousy touch screen keyboard.

No thanks. Next candidate please.

http://www.nokiausa.com/A4433773

Collapse -
have you used the iphone?
by robstak / August 30, 2007 10:52 PM PDT

interface is only half the battle...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!