Speakeasy forum

Alert

N.Korean dictator DEAD!

by jhl1989 / December 18, 2011 11:30 AM PST

N.Korean dictator, Kim Jong Il, not too long ago was announced dead by N.Korean TV.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: N.Korean dictator DEAD!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: N.Korean dictator DEAD!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Saw it on the news.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 7:26 PM PST

Hopefully his son will be able to interact more with the world community to improve the lives of his people.

Mark

Collapse -
I had to wonder why, with all the success
by Steven Haninger / December 18, 2011 7:47 PM PST
In reply to: Saw it on the news.

in toppling middle eastern dictatorial regimes, why we heard of no copy-cat attempts in NK.

Collapse -
China?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 7:56 PM PST

Just guessing.

Even though Kim Jong ll was a thorn in China's side, I doubt they would have stood idly by if anyone in the West had tried anything like that.

The son was educated in the west and what with that and him being new and inexperienced, there's hope that China will be able to influence him to carry out much needed reforms. It would be in China's interest as well as everyone else.

Mark

Collapse -
Will there ever be reunification?
by James Denison / December 18, 2011 8:23 PM PST
In reply to: China?

Maybe it's time to start such a movement?

Collapse -
There's a National Geographic special....
by Josh K / December 19, 2011 2:53 AM PST

....about North Korea that was done a few years ago. If you haven't seen it, try to. It's available at Netflix:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/National_Geographic_Inside_North_Korea/70061970?trkid=2361637

Watching this will change you.

I'm sure the president was on the phone with the Chinese Premier within minutes. There are "official relations" and then there's the stuff that goes on in secret. Nobody knows much about Kim's son so it's hard to tell how much chance there might be of any kind of progress or reform.

Collapse -
The nervousness
by TONI H / December 19, 2011 4:25 AM PST

is with regard to how this new leader will get the respect of the military. He has no military experience and in order to garner respect from those he will have to command he is usually expected to show some sort of force in order to prove he will be worthy. SKorea is on alert and therefore we are as well because we have so many of our military still located there.

Collapse -
And even there we have to be careful
by Josh K / December 19, 2011 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: The nervousness

If the US or South Korea ratchet up the alert level too much, North Korea might see it as a provocation (or at least say they do).

The war never technically ended. We've just been under a cease-fire for the last 58 years.

Collapse -
Is this the same?
by James Denison / December 20, 2011 12:09 AM PST
Collapse -
Kim Jong Il remembered as 'Team America' star
by KenHusveg / December 19, 2011 4:34 AM PST
Collapse -
LOL
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 19, 2011 4:47 AM PST

I had forgotten that!

Mark

Collapse -
The funniest line in that movie
by Josh K / December 19, 2011 5:18 AM PST

The men are getting a pep talk and one guy says, "Remember, there is no 'I' in 'Team America!'"

And a little voice in the back says, "Yes there is..."

Collapse -
Cry me a river!
by James Denison / December 19, 2011 10:42 PM PST

Video of the deep grief (remember, the state is video taping your grief to see if it passes muster) which North Koreans feel over the loss of their Great Leader. This is what's called "padding your resume" in North Korea.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a29_1324289477

Collapse -
If that was a screen test
by Steven Haninger / December 19, 2011 11:54 PM PST
In reply to: Cry me a river!

they'd be calling in the next group quickly.

Collapse -
There's a lot of that stuff....
by Josh K / December 19, 2011 11:59 PM PST

....in the National Geographic documentary I linked to earlier. It's really hard to tell how much of it is acting and how much of it is complete and total brainwashing. There's a segment in which some doctors are allowed in to perform eye surgeries. When the patients regain their eyesight, they don't thank the doctors; they thank Dear Leader. People have no family photos in their homes; only posters of Dear Leader.

It's really something to see.

Collapse -
I get Netflix member page
by James Denison / December 20, 2011 12:07 AM PST

Not a member.

Collapse -
It's called "Inside North Korea"
by Josh K / December 20, 2011 12:15 AM PST

Just go to www.netflix.com and search on the title.

Collapse -
Yes!
by Josh K / December 20, 2011 12:24 AM PST
In reply to: This??

I didn't realize you could stream it from the NGC web site. Thanks for posting that link.

Collapse -
Can't describe it any other way than gripping
by Steven Haninger / December 20, 2011 1:09 AM PST
In reply to: Yes!

The "dear leader" was truly a monster. Those he has not murdered have had their entire lives stolen from them. Very sad indeed.

Collapse -
I asked my co-worker this morning(tounge in cheek) if he was
by Tony Holmes / December 20, 2011 6:33 AM PST

mourning the death of "dear leader" and he spit on the floor.I may have mentioned previously here that "Kevin" was a former officer in the SK Army and not entirely fond of Kim Jung(mentally)Il.

Kevin is college educated and speaks perfect English,most of what he said would get deated if I posted it here verbatim!He knows and has seen the horrors of what that ******* did.

"If his ******* son was in front of me now,I would put a bullet through his brain so the family genes would not travel any further".

Take it FWIW,it comes from a SK Army officer who has seen what goes on.

Collapse -
More choreographed mourning
by James Denison / December 20, 2011 2:04 AM PST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSWN6Qj98Iw

Reminds me of the old Middle Eastern culture of having paid mourners go around a city when some notable or rich person died. The closest we come to such are funeral processions, more often in a line of cars.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?