General discussion

N configuration help

So here's the deal. I had a Belkin N F5D8236-4 router. I have 2 laptops and a desktop (plus a DVR, Wii and XBOX that are currently of no concern). I switched to a Linksys WRT160N v3 and the desktop adapter in my comp. I guess I should start with specs:

Laptop 1: Mini-PCIe G adapter (what came in it, not worried about it)
Laptop 2: Mini-PCIe Atheros AR5008X chipset with 8.xx drivers loaded (latest) Internal card btw
Desktop : Had a Linksys WMP110, now a Linksys WMP600N, both RaLink chipsets, latest drivers installed

When I had my Belkin, my Desktop got 135mbps link (about 30 feet and 3 walls in the way) on the WMP110. I figured that was good enough, since it's a single band adapter anyway, never expected to get 300 out of it. My Laptop #2 was getting a 300mbps link. I was getting intermittent drops of the wifi link on the router (wireless just turned off for whatever reason) and throughput from laptop to desktop was about 300-400KB/s if I was LUCKY.

So I decided to get something more stable (with the option to do dd-wrt) and got the WRT160N. I figured it was a good time to update the desktop adapter to a 300mbps card and that prompted the WMP600N (dual band capable card) to be bought. NOW, my desktop connects at 130mbps and the laptop at 130mbps. ***? So I start playing around with settings, and have WPA-AES, using mixed mode b/g/n. I have to use either 20mhz or 20/40mhz mixed (my only 2 choices), neither of which makes a difference. Under one of the settings, it has the speed set to auto, but the max it shows it connections available to 130mbps.

SOOO, anyone who knows, how can I get something out of it, like the 300mbps it says on the front of the box? It is a single band 2.4Ghz radio. I'm currently getting throughput of 3MB/s consistently transferring files from laptop to desktop, does that sound about right? I'm thinking even at 130mbps I should be getting 10MB/s or so.

I'm getting to the point of frustration, cause I don't understand why I can't get a good and fast connection at the same time. Maybe someone has some light to put on thie subject. I'm sure I left out vital info about my setup, so don't going throwing around the hate, just let me know what you need and I'll give you all the info you could want for help.

I haven't tried putting my WMP110 back in yet, but plan on it tomorrow, cause it will save me $80 to dump the WMP600N (and the Netgear 300T is $50, rated at 300 so I might just exchange for that if I can get the 130/300 problem figured). I will take screen shots of my config, whatever you guys need...

Thanks for reading this whole thing, and for your help in advance...

P.S. I have learned that there are some "requirements" of N speeds: WPA2 must be the encryption, a wireless G will degrade performance and WMM must be on. Be aware, I was at 300mbps last week with my Belkin, so I'm guessing the problem is with my Linksys setup. I've done that, and am looking for other solutions, or possibly someone who actually owns a WRT160N with 3.0.0.02 firmware that would be willing to share their configs they use or using dd-wrt, and what version they have for 300 speeds. I've dealt with computers since 386/486 days, but N protocol is new to me.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: N configuration help
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: N configuration help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Where are you getting these numbers?

Wireless N is rated a ~110 Mb/s. It appears to me that if you want faster speeds you need to stick to wired.

Wireless N speeds are quite adequate for streaming video, regardless of what your meter says. I stream video from my main PC to my media server to my HD TV over wireless G.

Maybe I'm missing something in your quest. Wireless N has a finite limit, as does G. And since no ISP provides 300 Mb/s download, what do you expect?

Exactly what are you looking for?

- Collapse -
What I want

I know that I'll never get all the bandwidth through a provider, but I do want the speed on my LAN. I sync folders for 2 laptops and a desktop, and mirror them to an external HD in case of computer failure, and 3MB/s is just too slow for 30 Gig backup sets.

- Collapse -
802.11n/300m

The 300m like most things in computers is some magic number they advertise and almost nobody gets.

To even attempt it you must use channel bonding on both your router and your nic cards. If they both do not support it then it will use a single channel and you will be limited to 150m. The 20/40 setting is most likely what your router is calling this feature.

The big problem with doing this is you are using a much larger amount of bandwidth and you increase your exposure to other devices causing interference.

Even if you get it working you will only get 300m total for all your devices and the more you run at the same time the more you loose to overhead. The way they get the 300m number is a single machine talking to a single machine behind the routers.

I would keep as much as you possibly can wired and only run wireless where you have no other option.

CNET Forums

Forum Info