Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Mystery 35-second process after coupla hours inactivity

by flubadub / April 10, 2007 8:27 AM PDT

I apologize in advance for bugging you guys with such a minor annoyance. I used Norton AV for yrs before replacing it with free AVG Anti-Virus/Spyware. Everything worked fine until at some point I noticed a problem. Whenever I left my XP alone for a few hours, when I returned and tried to open any document on my Desktop, the processor would make a Search-like noise for 35 seconds before it would come back with my options to Open the file, etc. From that moment on I could open any Desktop file immediately, as usual. I have no idea if this glitch is related to my recent AVG software or not. (I submitted this problem to the Free AVG Forum last night, but their Moderator got his knickers in a twist and blamed XP.) Has anyone else noticed a similar problem with their XP system, with or without AVG software? I haven't tried anything to repair the problem. I use Win XP HE ver. 5.1, SP2, on a desktop system.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mystery 35-second process after coupla hours inactivity
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mystery 35-second process after coupla hours inactivity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only a mystery because of no clues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2007 8:34 AM PDT

Sorry, but the clue isn't in the details of your post. It could have been as simple as XP doing some USB Power Saving and you haven't turned that off yet. But that's just one of hundred guesses. Sorry I can't see it from here yet.

Bob

Collapse -
Power Scheme
by flubadub / April 10, 2007 9:05 AM PDT

>>It could have been as simple as XP doing some USB Power Saving and you haven't turned that off yet.<<

I've never messed with my power setup. I just looked at it. It says Turn Off Hard Disk = Never. Monitor = off after 20 minutes. Nothing in Advanced tab. Thanks for guessing though. Wish I could give more clues. Guess I should learn a 30-second mantra so I don't get my blood pressure up each time.

Collapse -
MS had some recent updates but...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2007 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Power Scheme
Collapse -
USB Power Mgr problem?
by flubadub / April 10, 2007 12:06 PM PDT

>>It's hard to guess here with not much info. Here's a picture of the USB power saving that you find all over. ---http://www.fujitsu.com/img/TEL/ftel/services/telecoms/power_manager.jpg ---There can be too many little places like this and to wake up could take time. Bob<<

You may have hit on something. Even tho I don't use batteries for anything other than my UPS system, I have had a recent problem since my digicam card reader cable was yanked out of its USB port. I'll try to check that out. (As if I had any idea how to do that!) Thanks, Bob.

Collapse -
Now that's a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2007 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: USB Power Mgr problem?

I had this one card reader that installed a MEDIA SCANNER (sorry it's name changes from make to make) that would look for memory sticks, SD cards, etc and if the unit was unplugged this software could cause a few second delay. I found that it worked just fine without this annoying software and cured it.

But again I'm working the barest of detail here. I wonder if your web browser is showing those words in red?

Bob

Collapse -
clueless
by flubadub / April 11, 2007 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Now that's a clue.

>>I had this one card reader that installed a MEDIA SCANNER (sorry it's name changes from make to make) that would look for memory sticks, SD cards, etc and if the unit was unplugged this software could cause a few second delay. I found that it worked just fine without this annoying software and cured it.

But again I'm working the barest of detail here. I wonder if your web browser is showing those words in red?

Bob<<

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'm about a 2 on computer knowledge. What do you mean by your last sentence?

Flub (using IE 6.0 browser)

Collapse -
Here's the words in red.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2007 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: clueless

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

With each post you make this reminder is given so members like me don't have to ask all the usual questions repeatedly. Since many members don't seem to see this there is a theory that some web browsers don't show this.

The reason I note it is there are many basic items missing from your posts.

Bob

Collapse -
red words read
by flubadub / April 11, 2007 1:36 AM PDT

>>With each post you make this reminder is given so members like me don't have to ask all the usual questions repeatedly. Since many members don't seem to see this there is a theory that some web browsers don't show this.

The reason I note it is there are many basic items missing from your posts. Bob<<

Sorry. I assumed that, since I put all that data in my initial post, there was no reason to repeat it from then on. I didn't think about how far away that post has moved, or how some readers read posts sequentially. My bad. Thanks for clearing that up.

For folks like me who assume too much, you may want to add a line to the forum notice. Tell all repliers to be sure to repeat their system info with EVERY reply.

For the record, I use Win XP HE ver. 5.1, SP2, on a desktop system and my browser is IE 6.0. My card reader is a SanDisk ImageMate "12-in-1."

Flub

Collapse -
Best of luck then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2007 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: red words read

"model number, and any other specifics related to the problem."

I'm sorry but I have to step back since it appears that you can't or don't want to share the details. Sometimes the cause is due to preloaded XP on some HP model and we'll nail it. But your choice has been to only share slim details even when asked to tell more.

Try calling the machine's maker since they're more likely to have the machine details and it goes much faster as they'll ask the needed questions without expecting you to just detail it out.

Good luck,

Bob

Collapse -
miscommunication on my part
by flubadub / April 11, 2007 2:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Best of luck then.

>>I'm sorry but I have to step back since it appears that you can't or don't want to share the details. Sometimes the cause is due to preloaded XP on some HP model and we'll nail it. But your choice has been to only share slim details even when asked to tell more.<<

It's not that I can't or won't. It's that I haven't used forums before and didn't understand that you wre asking for the maker of my computer. It's a Kenitec (from PC Warehouse chain in 2002) with Intel P4 2.4GHz. Never occurred to me that that could make a difference.

You kept saying you needed more details. I thought you meant like some errmsg or power outage or something. Didn't mean to make things harder for you. Why don't you give us older folks an actual example in your posting instructions so we retirees can give you exactly what you need right up front? Just thinking out loud.

>>Try calling the machine's maker since they're more likely to have the machine details and it goes much faster as they'll ask the needed questions without expecting you to just detail it out.<<

I'll try it, but their English is not so good. Neither is my hearing. Or my brain, for that matter.

Thanks for your help.

Flub

Collapse -
"Kenitec (from PC Warehouse chain in 2002) with Intel P4 2.4
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2007 2:30 AM PDT

"Kenitec (from PC Warehouse chain in 2002) with Intel P4 2.4GHz." tells me a great deal. If I was to dive in deeper I'd be looking for remnants from prior antivirus programs (norton, mcafee for example leave tidbits behind) and updating the motherboard chipset driver. It's likely the one from intel.com could be used.

-> As to giving you a break or such all I can do is ask for more detail. The more detail the better the picture I get of the machine and the better the detail I can give you about the exact driver I would install.

Now some may write "I didn't change a thing" but Microsoft does. So we are on a treadmill playing catchup all the time.

Now I can't know which motherboard or chipset PC Warehouse used so it's up to you to dig that information out. I suggest Belarc Advisor to EVEREST (these softwares are found with google.com)

Armed with that chipset information I can give you the exact driver download I'd use then to dig out if remnants of older AV or other things you could post your HIJACKTHIS log file. HIJACKTHIS is found with google.com and I didn't mention it before since I had no way to tell if the machine and OS had "mileage" on it. Details are what drive the discussions.

I await a few more items so we can peek under the hood and possibly try a few cures.

Bob

Collapse -
desktop opening time
by glennlee / April 10, 2007 8:37 AM PDT

How much do you have on your desktop? If you have a lot of applications, it is normal for the refresh time to be somewhat extended. Best thing is to consolidate applications in folders, which do not require so much refresh time. This has nothing to do with AVG.

Collapse -
desktop opening time
by flubadub / April 10, 2007 8:57 AM PDT
In reply to: desktop opening time

I don't have much on my desktop. It's mostly a variety of short To-Do lists in TXT or RTF, most of which are in folders. I don't surf the Net much except the IMDB. Sadly, nothing's changed for me for years, just this one minor glitch. I could always read the paper while I wait for 35 seconds, but it annoys me why the processor has to start sounding like it's cataloging something the second I try to open a simple TXT file, but only that first file. Thanks for your suggestion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?