Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

mysterious problems

by Odigar / August 4, 2007 1:51 PM PDT

Ok, started up the pc today and it automatically restarts after welcome screen... and after 3-4 times of it cycling finally makes it to the desktop, not only that but i've got what looks like fake dead pixels on my monitor because they are popping up everywhere as if a child were fingerpainting on my monitor,also the games i play will not stop making a waving motion across the monitor, its like an old television set that cant get a channel signal, any ideas?

Nvidia 680i Mobo
2g Corsair XMS
Intel E6600 - not oc'd
Evga 7900GT - not oc'd
Rosewill 600w PS

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: mysterious problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: mysterious problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like a currupted OS
by hawker505 / August 4, 2007 3:05 PM PDT
In reply to: mysterious problems

If u can make it to the Desktop then try running a registry scan with Registry Mechanic from PC Tools (www.pctools.com). Just to make sure there is no spyware in your PC run a scan with Spywaer Doctor which again is from Pc Tools.

Hope this works out.

Collapse -
Try a Checkdisk /Repair to Correct Corrupted...
by tobeach / August 4, 2007 4:18 PM PDT

system files & repair any bad sectors. Here's how:

Disk/repair (Check Disk) (like SFC)
Left click on My Computer(open)
Right click on "C" or your OS drive if another letter.
Left click Properties and then click Tools Tab.
Left click on "Error Checking"> Check Now.
Left click to enter check mark in BOTH boxes offered.
Left click on "Start".
Computer will have to reboot to begin repairs.
Just leave alone (you're locked out anyway) 'til process finished.
In regular mode will take about 1 Hour (more/less)
In Safe Mode about 2 hours.
If computer normal after process complete you might want to create a new
restore point and Label it POST ERROR REPAIR.
This is based on using an onboard copy of sys
files if copy is ok.
If copy is corrupted, it may tell you to insert XP or SP2(if patch applied) disk or to indicate location of SP2 info to get new,
clean copy inserted. Good to have disk at hand. Good Luck!! Happy

Collapse -
If Checkdisk Doesn't Solve it.....I Would Check......
by tobeach / August 5, 2007 4:35 PM PDT

device manager for any warning symbols related to Video & it's drivers. Possible also that Monitor or Video card having problems or monitor not compatible? Happy

Collapse -
still trying
by Odigar / August 18, 2007 10:51 AM PDT

ok i've tried all of your posts and im still having the same problems and the checkdisk didnt find any errors so thats a good sign. Only its getting worse, the spots on the screen are much more frequent and numerous, also moving my mouse now creates a buzzing sound inside the case, i've opened it up and listened in but cant track exactly where its coming from, sounds like it could be the cpu, video card, or psu, but its definately not the hdd's, i've tried lowering the noise from everything in the case and unplugging/manually stopping all the fans and i still hear the noise and being as i had just built this pc and its newer i have nothing i can swap out to test the different parts with any help on this is appreciated!.. also scrolling up and down on webpages makes the noise louder as well.. very weird.

Collapse -
What Kind of Mouse (Wired/Wireless/PS2/USB)? Have....
by tobeach / August 18, 2007 3:58 PM PDT
In reply to: still trying

tried swapping it with another (same for monitor) to see if any improvement?? Borrow if you don't have?
Your statement: "being as i had just built this pc" brings up potential problems I couldn't even guess at (never done the same myself & wouldn't know how).
A Hum at 60 cycles might indicate a bad ground connection..(mouse cable?) but a buzzing to me sounds like a loose mounting of something or a loose screw vibrating. Were ALL components brand new? Double checked that Video card is firmly seated and aligned?
Sorry that I don't feel competent to offer more insight.
At least, if Check disk found nothing of import, it's not likely to do with the software OS unless a settings conflict in video or mouse.

Perhaps better in the the (1) "Computer Help" or (2)"PC Hardware" forums as other builders tend to read there.
Please.. link to this post or others you've made regarding this..when you get there to make it easier for others to follow what you've tried so far. Again, sorry I couldn't be of more help! Happy

Collapse -
mysterious problems
by cnet74 / August 19, 2007 2:02 PM PDT

I built my own computers, which does not make me an expert by any means. Weird problems have cropped up in my cases. My rule is to dismantle the system, then carefully re-assemble. The MoBo manual is always a great help. All those wirings for the USB, the LEDs, the fans, the speaker and the sounds - they usually are color coded, but not all manuals are equally superb in their instructions or figures.

I proceed from the minimum of peripherals: the monitor, keyboard and mouse. I also make notes, make or write info on the parts, make sure that the jumpers on the motherboard as well as the peripherals are set correctly. I do not yet overclock at this first steps, when I try the system.

It is always advisable to read through manuals in the installation of drivers too, more so that you are building your own system. Sometimes the drivers are installed first, sometimes the device before the drivers. The extra time to check and recheck I find to be more failsafe, because disassembly is more time consuming.

I'd make sure that I check the manufacturer's site for newer drives, so it is very helpful to write down somehwere the model number, the serial number, the version number of all devices that I have to put into my system. I find that some uncertified drivers can cause problems (especially modems and video cards), but otherwise I install them despite the warning.

i am sure that, despite your initial problems, you will find building your own system becomes better the second time around.

Good luck to you, and make sure that by the time you upgrade your system, there is so-called Hardware Abstraction Layer to contend with, because your XP system knows what it has in its hardware configuration files.

Collapse -
Video Ram?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 19, 2007 7:44 PM PDT

The fake pixels sounds to me like your video ram has gone.

To test it, reduce hardware acceleration in Display Properties, Settings, Advanced, Troubleshoot tab to half what it is. This may stop you being able to use DirectX, and videos may not play with such good definition, but it may get rid of the fake pixels. DirectX is needed for some games, and uses video ram extensively, so that could explain the games problem as well.

Mark

Collapse -
video ram?
by cnet74 / August 19, 2007 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Video Ram?

Remarkable insight. And since you are building a new computer, you may be able to still get a replacement for that video card, which if you bought from a large electronic supplier, you can get it tested for free.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.