General discussion

MyComputer C-drive shows browser bookmarks

In all my years of using various versions of DOS, Windows, and Linux, I've never even heard of this quirk until it happened to me. I have Windows XP Professional installed -- a recent re-installation after re-building this computer -- and when I click on MyComputer I get the usual listing of drives, etc. However, when I click on the C: drive, I get a listing of my browser's bookmarks toolbar rather than a listing of the sub-directories on my primary hard drive. Clicking on any of the other drives shows the directories and files, as I would expect.

Any clues what might be causing this strange behavior on my C: drive?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: MyComputer C-drive shows browser bookmarks
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: MyComputer C-drive shows browser bookmarks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Try this

Look for an autorun.inf in the root of C:\

- Collapse -
WinXP C: directory shows browser's bookmarks toolbar

I looked, but didn't find an autorun.inf. There are only two files at C:\ -- the old standbys AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS, plus a bunch of sub-directories.

I ran a search on the entire C: drive for autorun.* and found only:
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\AUTORUN.EXE-055703AF.pf

- Collapse -
That's suspect.

CNET Forums

Forum Info