Computer Help forum

General discussion

My XP system doesn't browse

by jafi1954 / April 9, 2006 6:13 AM PDT

I have a problem with my PowerSpec Computer. I have Win XP SP2 an AMD 2.3 processor, 1 gig ram, And a cable connection for internet. My problem is this: When I first boot up the computer, everything is fine, but after about an hour my internet connection begins to slow down until it eventually comes to a complete stop! Rebooting solves the problem for the moment, but the cyle just starts over and I have to reboot again. I like to leave my computer on for extended periods and use standby instead of shutting down so my alarm program can wake it up and wake me...Besides which I like the faster startup time. I have so many programs running that a cold boot takes forever! I've already cleaned up my startup folder and ran msconfig to stop loading all the things I can do without. If I can get my cable connection to stay at full speed all the time, life will be good again. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My XP system doesn't browse
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My XP system doesn't browse
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There's A Problem With Your Statement...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 9, 2006 10:01 AM PDT

1. I have so many programs running that a cold boot takes forever!

2. I've already cleaned up my startup folder and ran msconfig to stop loading all the things I can do without.

Those two statements dont' jive.. Please click on the link below and follow ALL of the steps listed. Of course, in addition to the other procedures, you'll want to eliminate MORE of those unnecessary startup programs and SERVICES (note I mentioned "services") so it runs with fewer conflicts.

Things To Do

Next, if you haven't already, download, install, update, then run the free Ewido Spyware/Trojan removal tool from the link below:

Ewido Security Suite

Next, if you haven't already, make sure that you have the most recent driver for your ethernet card.. Visit the manufacturer's website and download the updated driver.

And last, just to make sure that the modem is connecting correctly, try letting it "reinitialize" by turning OFF the computer, then turn OFF the modem. Wait ten minutes, then turn ON the modem and then turn on the computer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanx!
by jafi1954 / April 9, 2006 12:45 PM PDT

I'll give it a try...Thanks! I just tried the trial version of Counterspy From Sunbelt and it seems to have solved my problems. I had 56 malware programs running that Spybot and Adaware missed...I've had my computer up for several hours now and the connection is just as quick as when I booted up. I'll try the one you mentioned as well if I have any further problems...All the other stuff you mentioned I've already done.
Thanks again, Grif
Jafi

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.