Question

My XP always crashes when I create a new folder

Whenever I need to create a new folder, using Windows explorer, my XP crashes, and the only way out is to reboot the PC. I ran virus check and system integrity check and found nothing wrong. Any suggestion? Thanks for any pointer!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: My XP always crashes when I create a new folder
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My XP always crashes when I create a new folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Almost always a pest or addon.
- Collapse -
No, it didn't solve the problem

Thanks for your reply, but it didn't solve the problem

I don't have neither homesite nor coldfusion installed on my pc, and I didn't find any DLL like Cfshellftprds.dll or Cfssvradmin.dll

The error message before crashing is:

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close, We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something.....

but tt didn't mention Dr.Watson nor error ID anywhere

- Collapse -
BTW, I forgot to mention a important error in my first post

Every time I start XP, it will generate this same error regarding Windows Explorer. If I just move the error message aside without pushing any button (Debug, Send Error Report, Don't Send), Windows works fine, and I can use pretty much any installed application as long as I don't create a new folder.

If I push "Don't send" button, the dialogue will disappear and reappear in a minute or so. Do it many times and it will eventually act like creating a new folder, leaving a trace of old windows on the screen and windows lock up.

Creating a new folder is pretty much a death sentence, it creates the same error message but when you move the dialogue box away, it will NOT erase the background, leaving a trace of the error on the screen and nothing works after that.

- Collapse -
When explorer crashes

Three of the many reasons why Explorer crashes;

1] Viruses or other malware

Update your anti-virus and run a full scan, preferably in Safe Mode.

Also, download, install and update the free versions of Malwarebytes Anti-malware and SUPERAntiSpyware.

Then run those, preferably in Safe Mode too.

2] Corrupt files.

Explorer means many things. It is Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, your Desktop, your My Computer, My Documents, etc. So what affects one may affect all because they are closely integrated together into the OS.

If Explorer crashes on bootup, then this might point to a corrupt file on your Desktop Generally corrupt files mean corrupt image or video files, where Explorer attempts to 'render' them whilst displaying the files, but I imagine some other corrupt files may also cause Explorer to crash.

Certainly, when attempting to open any folder which has images or videos in it, and where the View option is Thumbnails, Tiles, or Icons, Explorer will crash when it comes across a corrupt file.

The workaround there is to identify any corrupt files and remove them.

3] Internet Explorer.

As I said above, Explorer and Internet Explorer are closely related and integrated. If IE has any bad, corrupt, or infected Add-ons, then this may also cause Explorer to fail. Remove all Add-ons to see if that helps.

Mark

- Collapse -
That is one of thousands of such add ons.

There is no one link that covers them all but I see you have added new information that helps us see it may be that same old issue.
Bob

- Collapse -
I will try your malware scan

Thanks to Bob and Mark's replies!

Internet Explorer runs fine on the XP, so are other browsers like Firefox, Chrome, Safari and QTWeb

If I open any existing folder, no problem.

Ran spybot and avast, found no virus nor malware

Run Scandisk and found no corrupted file

Only creating new folder kills the XP (plus the boot error that I always put it aside and forget it)

- Collapse -
Might e a TOXIC combination there

We often find nowadays that old favorites like Spybot no longer work well with today's anti-virus scanners. They conflict, especially in Spybot's case if its TeaTimer residedent scanner is running.

Try a test. Turn off TeaTimer, reboot and test. Then uninstall Spybot, reboot and test again. YOu can always re-install Spybot if you wish.

Mark

- Collapse -
Spybot is pretty dated.

And I don't suspect malware yet. My example was just another bad addon.

Why do you suspect malware? Nothing in your post shows a sign for that issue (torrrent user, movie downloads, etc.)

Here's a note from Grif about more current and free scans -> 7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

Bob

- Collapse -
I didn't think it was malware, either

just try to rule out factors

and I still can't determine which addon caused the problem Sad

- Collapse -
I can't tell if you completed the scans.

If you want, click on my name and email me the output or log file from HIJACKTHIS for a quick peek.
Bob

- Collapse -
I ran the tests you suggested

It did catch a few threats that look real, but most are false-positive and tracking cookies

I tried to email you the hijackthis log, but it was too big to fit in the dialogue box

- Collapse -
Then post it in a reply here. Be sure to click the ICON

Be sure to click the ICON to the right of the Smiley so this forum won't mangle your post.
Bob

- Collapse -
I can only post 1500 char when emailing you

Your name->E-mail accepts up to 1500 char. Do I miss something?

- Collapse -
That's a limit to the CNET private messaging service.

Try this.

Send Bob a brief email through his profile. Let him reply which will then let you see his email address. Then send the HJT log, as an attachment, to his email address.

Mark

- Collapse -
(NT) You forgot to click the icon to the right of the SMILEY!
- Collapse -
Sorry, here it is again

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 10:18:52 AM, on 6/1/2011
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\CDP\afcdpsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\SeaPort\SeaPort.exe
c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlwriter.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\T1PSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\IAANTMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin\TSVNCache.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast5\avastUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaanotif.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Pinyin 2\GooglePinyinDaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\ClocX\ClocX.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe
C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageMonitor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Pinyin 2\GooglePinyinService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vgautil5100.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD DX\PDVDDXSrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Desktop Search\WindowsSearch.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.bin
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Contacts\wlcomm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwwin.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://g.msn.com/USSMB/1
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Vsexpressvc/threads
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Page_URL = http://g.msn.com/USSMB/1
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://g.msn.com/USSMB/1
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Search Helper - {6EBF7485-159F-4bff-A14F-B9E3AAC4465B} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Search Helper\SEPsearchhelperie.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {CC59E0F9-7E43-44FA-9FAA-8377850BF205} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Toolbar Helper - {E15A8DC0-8516-42A1-81EA-DC94EC1ACF10} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Toolbar\wltcore.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Windows Live Toolbar - {21FA44EF-376D-4D53-9B0F-8A89D3229068} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Toolbar\wltcore.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast5] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast5\avastUI.exe /nogui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IAAnotif] C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaanotif.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Pinyin 2 Autoupdater] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Pinyin 2\GooglePinyinDaemon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ClocX] C:\Program Files\ClocX\ClocX.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acronis Scheduler2 Service] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WfwiEvalPostExpire] C:\Program Files\Altiris\Wise\Windows Installer Editor\EvalPostExpire.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UUSeeMediaCenter] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\uusee\UUSeeMediaCenter.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrueImageMonitor.exe] C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageMonitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [T1PSvrUtil] C:\WINDOWS\system32\T1PSvrUtil.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDVDDXSrv] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD DX\PDVDDXSrv.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Portfolio] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe /AllUsers
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Documents and Settings\Chen\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ISUSPM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe" -scheduler
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 3.1.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: SpamPal.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpamPal\spampal.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Windows Search.lnk = C:\Program Files\Windows Desktop Search\WindowsSearch.exe
O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - ESC Trusted Zone: http://www.wise.com
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1251480059875
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{1F7972C6-FCAA-40BB-BA72-C34144F813B1}: NameServer = 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{1F7972C6-FCAA-40BB-BA72-C34144F813B1}: NameServer = 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220
O17 - HKLM\System\CS3\Services\Tcpip\..\{1F7972C6-FCAA-40BB-BA72-C34144F813B1}: NameServer = 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: HookDLL.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Acronis Scheduler2 Service (AcrSch2Svc) - Acronis - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
O23 - Service: Acronis Nonstop Backup service (afcdpsrv) - Acronis - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\CDP\afcdpsrv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMON) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\IAANTMon.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: NMSAccessU - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
O23 - Service: OpcEnum - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\OpcEnum.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - CACE Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: T1PSvr - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\T1PSvr.exe

--
End of file - 11635 bytes

- Collapse -
Answer
Context menus???

I had this problem for MONTHS when right-clicking a file in a file manager (I use Powerdesk, never Windows Explorer). Right clicking always resulted in "Windows Explorer has Crashed and Must Shut Down." (Note this refers to always on "Explorer", not their elementary file manager.) All would go blank on the screen and all would be back on mere seconds. I use "right click" a lot for files (properties, "open with", etc) and this drove me nuts. In another forum (this was many months ago) I read about this condition that resulted from too many contexts for a menu - - it recommended deleting the context options you didn't need, one by one to find the problem, or, deleting all but the MS options. A program was recommended which I cannot identify or find on my computer at this moment that is small and functional, and lists every context menu option on your computer. I deleted (or deactivated) all but the MS options and all was FINE. I regret that I cannot identify the program I used but do a search (Google is not a verb) for "context menu editor," select one that has good reviews, run it and find all the junk programs that added options to your menus and you should be good to go. I know the question was regarding "create new folder" but this was the same condition when I right clicked to "add new folder."

- Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the suggestion and I will give it a try
- Collapse -
Answer
virus problem

Hi, upgrade your antivirus and then scan it again, if it not works then change your antivirus software.

- Collapse -
Tried it, no help

I am now using Avast business verion

- Collapse -
Answer
I read the log and here are my thoughts.

1. Spybot. Known to conflict with some apps. Dated, I'd remove.
2. PCPitstop. Registry cleaner and can create more problems than it fixes. I'd remove.
3. The (no name) (no file) entries. Remove those.
4. Windows Live. It's behavior has me uninstall if the owner doesn't use it.
5. Acronis was running at the time of the scan. As it could be sniffing for new folders, another app that could help a crash happen.

Good hunting.
Bob

- Collapse -
Doesn't seem to help

Spybot, Windows live was in my PC long before the problem
(no name) (no file) are from either microsoft or spybot
Acronics was installed after the problem was noticed
Not sure what you mean by PCPitstop, can't find its entry

- Collapse -
Then I have to step out.

It's like the light bulb that stopped working and the owner insists it's not that because it always worked before.,

Today, with all the OS updates and more the moderators have learned to remove the older titles and slim it down. If there is any overlapping protection we remove that overlap.

As to the no name, no file entries, if you like useless dead entries, then I can't tell you to remove them.

As to PCPitstop, you're right that it is not listed but it's processes are there. Again your choice.

Good luck in your hunt,
Bob

- Collapse -
I did remove the others except PCPitstop

I did remove the others except PCPitstop, since I can't figure out what to remove, but it didn't help

- Collapse -
Let's share the old method.

It's old but it has worked so many times.

-> Head back to plain, stock configuration with as few or NO ADDONS.

PCPITSTOP is just one of those things that reaches deep into the OS and with registry cleaning all bets are off that it did something that either created the issue or contributed to it.

We still don't have what's in the EVENT VIEWER when this event happens so that's unknown data that might help.

So here it is:
1. Get plain. Get simple.
2. Eject any and all addons.
3. Look in the Event Viewer.
4. Take all the clues and form a new plan.

Then again, folk usually have no time for this and will reinstall the OS. I know that I had an odd failure and kept the system for 5 years thinking eventually I would find what was the issue. In the end it turned out to be an odd drive corruption that tools could not fix. That was that.

Good luck,
Bob

- Collapse -
(NT) what is the best way to Eject any and all addons?
- Collapse -
Find and uninstall.

We did that with the hijackthis log.

There may be more clues in the Event Viewer. My method for that is to clear the logs, crash and then see what's in the logs.
Bob

- Collapse -
I think you solved the problem

I deleted a bunch at the same time, so I can't tell which one was the bad guy, but I don't really care

Thanks a lot!

Please change the status to solved

- Collapse -
Actually you do that.

Unlike some forums the original poster or owner can pick which answer was the solution.

Glad to see you found it was some addon. The next repair is the annoying one.
Bob

CNET Forums