General discussion

My Windows XP Pro will not recognize my hard disk space!!!!

Hello!
My computer started off with Windows Vista, which I decided to upgrade to Windows 7 because of a virus. I formatted and installed. After that, I had some problems with it so I used a kill disk to wipe the hard drive and install Windows XP pro. Before all this, my hard drive had 500GB solid, well with the partition. Now my computer says, in Windows XP Pro, that I only have 127GB of space total! I have no idea why this is and this really bugs me! Can anyone help?

Here are my system specs...
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU
Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz
3.00GB of RAM
9600GT Nvidia GeForce

Tell me if I need anything else

Thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: My Windows XP Pro will not recognize my hard disk space!!!!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My Windows XP Pro will not recognize my hard disk space!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You're right. XP Pro only did 127GB drive space.

If your XP Pro CD was one with SP2 or SP3 then that limit was lifted.

Nothing seems wrong here.
BOb

- Collapse -
How do I tell?

It only says Version 2002, should I update the SP then?

- Collapse -
Sounds right.

But remember that we NEVER change the size of C: after we install SP3 (I never install the older patches as that would just waste my time) then the space will show up in disk/drive management for use to partition as another drive and format for our use.

Again the warning. DO NOT EXPAND the C partition as doing so will render repair to this OS impossible with the XP CD you have.

And again, this is all documented behavior for XP.
Bob

- Collapse -
Confuzzled

I am really sorry, I am not that familiar with partitions and such, I should try and update the SP, after that I do not expand, but instead create new partitions?

I am not really sure what you mean and how you do it Sad

- Collapse -
You'll do fine.

I only offered the warning since some will try to make C bigger and create a new problem.

How to use XP's disk management to create partitions and format then is widely documented so pick an article you like since what I write may be Greek.
Bob

- Collapse -
XP Service Pack 2

Hey,
I installed the SP, but it still does not recognize all of my hard drive space, will this be fixed once I partition?

- Collapse -
Your hard disk now has:

127 GB used for c:
373 GB (approximately) unallocated.

You can make a new partition (be sure to make it NTFS) on that 373 GB. Then you'll have:
127 GB used for c:
373 GB used for d:
Now find a good way to use those 373 GB.

Kees

CNET Forums

Forum Info