Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

My windows xp computer is nonresponsive. How can I fix it?

by Willssb / September 21, 2012 11:42 AM PDT

I uninstalled a program today and since I did that programs won't start. The internet explorer starts but then stops. I can get online.Is this a virus or is windows damaged?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My windows xp computer is nonresponsive. How can I fix it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My windows xp computer is nonresponsive. How can I fix it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Might be coincidence
by Max Van Weezwijk / September 22, 2012 6:04 AM PDT

Certainly, use a program like Malware Bytes to check for malware if there's any question about that.

You don't mention what type of program you 86ed and if its all programs or a just a certain type of program like browsers. You might try reinstalling it to see if that fixes the problem. Also if it was just a coincidence that it started misbehaving around the same time, try a system restore to a restore point before the problem developed. If that doesn't work and you have an XP install disc, you can try a repair install. That just replaces windows system files that may have been damaged. Google repair install for Windows XP specifically and find a Microsoft KB article on the subject for more information on how its done.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Willssb / September 22, 2012 9:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Might be coincidence

An error occurred when I was uninstalling. I found it when I looked up events.I may need to reinstall windows xp.Thanks for your comments. They were helpful. I am unable to run any program when I click on it. I have tried to restore it but it is always incomplete. I am not sure why.i might try reinstalling the program that seemed to cause the problem.It was suppose to be a text editor.

Collapse -
Restore the program
by yamyum / September 22, 2012 4:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

In your case you need to restore your program to the date in which it will completely done ,don't stop until you got the program restored complete because this is the only way for you to solve your problem or else you need to reformat your OS if you know how to do that.

Collapse -
More ways to gain control again
by Max Van Weezwijk / September 23, 2012 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

Hmm, don't reinstall a program that you aren't certain of, a text editor should not have caused any problem anyway.
Don't pay too much attention to event logs unless its just a sea of red from that point on, a few errors is pretty normal.
If you're not exactly sure of the program's source and veracity I might try a malware boot disc like Kaspersky Rescue CD. That way your system is inert and can't do anything to block access or proper function.

I often run across systems that won't complete system restore for one reason or another. The fix for that is to make a UBCD4Win boot CD (requires an XP install disc). Lots of info on their site on how to put one together. One of the utility programs on that CD (in the registry section) can be used to replace the 5 "registry" files with those from any restore point presented. It never fails and it has rescued many a system for me. In fact, it takes far longer for the boot CD to boot than it does to fix the system to an earlier restore point. Only a repair install will work though if there are missing or damaged system files. 90% of the time I find its just the registry settings in error though and your problem does sound like a settings error if its not one or more viruses.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.