HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

Question

My wifi connection goes from around 25 Mpbs to 5 or so

by Scarchelli / September 8, 2014 3:06 PM PDT

Hello, I recently set up a new Asus ac66u router in my basement and my old linksys e3200 in my bedroom as an AP. I have my laptop (my main pc) and my PS3, right next to me, both hardwired to the linksys, which is wired (through the floor) to the new Asus router in the basement. Both routers are dual band (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz) and I didn't want to have 4 networks available to choose, so I disabled the 2.4 ghz on the upstairs router (linksys) and hid the 2.4 ghz on the basement router (asus).

Currently, I have my AlexUpstairs and AlexDownstairs networks (both 5 ghz). I tested all 4 connections, with inSSIDer in various rooms with various devices and the 5ghz connections were best, likely because this house is small.

My problem is, while on my phone in my bed, which is just a few feet from the linksys router, and the network I am indeed connected to, I noticed the ookla speedtest gives me ~25mbps sometimes, or ~5mbps. It seems to be random as there is no other traffic on the network, and neighbors or anything like that aren't even on a 5ghz band so it can't be that.

I don't stream anything over wifi yet, now that my PS3 is hardwired to the linksys directly, but it would be nice to know why this is happening. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My wifi connection goes from around 25 Mpbs to 5 or so
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My wifi connection goes from around 25 Mpbs to 5 or so
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Usually interference.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2014 12:00 AM PDT

But one of the tricks of the trade is to pull back to 802.11g (54 megabits) for all the reasons given in prior discussions (well done so I don't duplicate all that.)

Now that we are at 802.11g we don't have the problem of the single non-overlapping channel of 802.11n and we can move the channels around to keep things from stepping on each out.

-> You wrote you hid a network. It's another well known fact hiding the SSID creates problems. I no longer do that, endorse that or put up with that in networks I support.
Bob

Collapse -
Enabled/Unhid 2.4 networks
by Scarchelli / September 9, 2014 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Usually interference.

Still nothing. I changed them to names that are AlexUpstairsBackup and AlexDownstairsBackup, respectively. My wifi connection on my phone was 24 mbps earlier this morning, now 5, and I just did the speed test as I typed this right next to my laptop and router it's connected to.

Collapse -
Answer
At this point I'd be
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2014 6:41 AM PDT

Swapping out access points. I can't guess if the old router is failing but when I see this I know to swap. It's not as if these things are expensive. Our techs carry 20 buck TP-Link TL-702N's but you'll still find folk losing months over that issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Be aware the rise in Netflix use
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2014 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: At this point I'd be
Collapse -
Answer
set each router to use a different channel
by James Denison / September 9, 2014 6:45 AM PDT

otherwise you can end up sitting at some null point that's just perfect for each jamming the other.

Collapse -
If they leave it on 802.11n
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2014 6:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
They are on different channels
by Scarchelli / September 9, 2014 7:24 AM PDT

Maybe my galaxy s4 just gets a crappy connection, because the ipad I tried in the same spot was 20 mbps while my phone got less than 4.

Collapse -
It could be Android after all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2014 7:28 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.