Laptops forum

General discussion

My wi-fi stopped working

I bought a laptop second-hand. The wi-fi worked great for a week. I put the laptop away for two weeks, took it out, and the wi-fi won't connect to the Internet. What are the possible causes?

Do I need to have a wireless account? I didn't have one when I started using the computer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My wi-fi stopped working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My wi-fi stopped working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: My wi-fi stopped working

In reply to: My wi-fi stopped working

If you had a wi-fi connection your area that did not block access to others (using the wi-fi router security encryption) then anyone in range of that wi-fi could sign into that wi-fi account.

It is likely the person with that connection has learned how to turn on his encryption so that unauthorized users can not piggyback anymore on this DSL or Cable High speed internet he was broadcasting through wi-fi.

Sometimes people intentionally broadcast their signals free for others to use (expecially in cities) but if you have an account and don't protect it someone can hack into it and take over your computer.

I had my wi-fi encryption off for awhile when I first set up my D-link router but once I learned how to set up the encyption now only notebooks that have my passcode can log into it.

Or the person near you could have just moved and turned off his service.

Note also that Windows SP2 has messed up the existing wi-fi connections of many people -- Windows XP SP2 now has a built in wi-fi utility that works fine but the Intel proset or other utility the notebook used in some cases does not work.

If you updated (either automatically or manually) to Windows SP2 you may have messed up your wi-fi settings and you may in fact still have an open wi-fi account but you just have to reset your wi-fi in windows.

Read the Cnet article on Windows SP2 for this issue.

If you are a student many universities have wi-fi access but likely you have to have a passcode to access it.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: My wi-fi stopped working

The proceding note probably explains your problem. One way you can check to see if the problem is in your hardware is to perhaps take your laptop to a public library. The libraries in my area offer free wireless connections without a password. If your libraries offer the same service, it will be a quick check of your equipment.

Collapse -

In reply to: My wi-fi stopped working

whoever you logging on turn on security, right click on wireless and see if shows view all available wireless connections. click on that and see what wireless are coming up if you highlight each one and thet is 2 boxes to fill in for password then you cannot logged on, you can logged if there is a box to click and it says that the info can be seen by anymore, then check the box and you surf the internet. also disable and enable the wireless card to let it find the signal.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.