Speakeasy forum

General discussion

My wasted life.... And your net contributions?

Inspired by Tom Lehrer's "Alma" I cop a question he asks therein:

What have I accomplished with my life talents? It is sobering to admit that when Mozart was my age he was dead for 14 years.

*grin*

A good humbler to use on your own friends at the right time and place! thanks you, genius Lehrer. PS: How old am I?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My wasted life.... And your net contributions?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My wasted life.... And your net contributions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: My wasted life.... And your net contributions?

In reply to: My wasted life.... And your net contributions?

If you don't know how old you are how do you know how much older you are than Motzart whent he died?

Dan

Collapse -
Re: if mozart died at 35

In reply to: Re: My wasted life.... And your net contributions?

and he said #What have I accomplished with my life talents? It is sobering to admit that when Mozart was my age he was dead for 14 years#

you need help with the math dan....

Collapse -
If you can detect it at 30 feet...

In reply to: Re: if mozart died at 35

is it because that's how far away your mirror is?

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: spamming the boards dan tsk tsk stk

In reply to: If you can detect it at 30 feet...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) SPAM? ? ?

In reply to: (NT) Re: spamming the boards dan tsk tsk stk

Collapse -
You guys are real cards!

In reply to: (NT) SPAM? ? ?

But we liberal must hang together or most assuredly we will all hang separately.

My god, I just created an immortal quote from my very original brain (NOT).

If I had access to smaller type fonts, dear enemies I would have brain cased in 4 point type. (Humility, self deprecative, critic-snuffing humor in actual use)

Collapse -
Not to criticize here but

In reply to: You guys are real cards!

we had/have another member who floats in and out who also used self-flagellation in his posts to the point that very few members took his posts seriously anymore. It's not becoming to an intelligent person to state thoughts/ideas/links that normally would get the proper attention due them when those posts also include comments about yourself that actually are put downs that appear to be seeking compliments or comments that would boost your ego instead.

Just my take on some of your more recent posts, and trying to understand why you would go out of your way to take away the attention from the original posted thought/idea.

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: spamming the boards dan tsk tsk stk -- HUH?

In reply to: (NT) Re: spamming the boards dan tsk tsk stk

Collapse -
Re: My wasted life.../for lack of eloquence

I firmly believe that there is little difference between those admired as great thinkers and philosophers and most common folk. As well, what we do and who we influence is underrated. Such just never finds a proper means of expression. My two cents.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: My wasted life.../for lack of eloquence

Some touch lives in ways they never realize in that life. Someone close to me recently passed away. Due to circumstances in life he was working a job far beneath his education, skills and abilities. He did not have a large circle, or even really a small circle of friends. The turnout at the funeral of total "strangers" whose lives he had touched, many through that job he considered thankless and unfulfilling, was truly eye-opening.

Evie Happy

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: My wasted life.../for lack of eloquence

Dear Evie

From my own experience of meeting a 22-year old on Friday, there are remarkable people who just do not realise, even in this life, just how much they have given and continue to give, despite their own hardship. "Realise", being the operative word, having little thought for themselves.

Suffice it say, that I know what you mean.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
How old are you???

I would haxard to guess 50 on your next B-day of November 28 Happy
Glenda

Collapse -
Yes, correct, but wrong! Read on

In reply to: How old are you???

Glenda you are right and I am wrong. See, being lazy I did not look up M's death year. So I got it wrong from my usually photographic memory for personal dates. I probably revealed too much personally identifiable information already about myself (kidding). I will admit only this much then(kidding mind you) that I was off by one year. So how old if my birthyear was marked by a hit popular song lyrical about a particular dance form? No guessing folks- you gotta google for this answer but it'll be there if you like a light-duty sleuthing challenge.

Collapse -
Re: Yes, correct, but wrong! Read on

In reply to: Yes, correct, but wrong! Read on

Mozart was 35 when he died and you are 50! Born in 1954!
Glenda

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Could be the Jive - cannot remember the year though

In reply to: Yes, correct, but wrong! Read on

Collapse -
Well, first one has to HAVE some talents. :-)

Just kidding, I know we all have some God given talents. However, I think we're way ahead if we can just keep from doing physical, mental or spiritual damage to another human being. Happy

Collapse -

I may not be on the top ten list of people to emulate but I raised my children to be productive citizens and they still love me. What more could anybody ask?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: My wasted life.... And your net contributions?

Hi Mary Kay,

Sounds like a wonderful contribution to me. That ain't easy, as evidenced by all the people in the world who aren't productive at all, and ill-mannered to boot!

Kudos!
--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
If your life was wasted, it's probably due to your choices.

I ought to know. I've made enough bad choices in my life, but God has a way of redeeming life when He's put in charge of it. Perhaps you should ponder that.

One of my best contributions at this point is a soon to be sixteen year old daughter.

Collapse -
Well said, Kiddpeat...

In reply to: If your life was wasted, it's probably due to your choices.

Well said, Kidpeat. You know, I didn't realize that there was some sort of scorecard and a minimum passing score in the game of life. Nahhh....there isn't. I agree that your daughter is "enough", and I think that my son is "enough" for me.
Like a rollercoaster, life has its ups and downs, good parts and bad parts. If you enjoyed parts of it, it's well worth the ride. Harsh as it may sound to bring up, some people think that a life such as my current one is not worth living. Note: Being in a wheelchair does not mean that the person in hard of hearing, something to remember when you're in the mall or some such.
Bottom line, even when the slings and arrows have caused a bad personal situation in your life, the ride can still be well worth the experience. Things get better, and if some thing is lost that does not automatically mean that you have lost other fun and worthwhile things in your life. Justification for living is not necessary.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.